Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Concert in the Garden

Over the weekend I was busy with a landscaping project. I was removing 16 small diseased Azalea bushes from my front garden. I was using all the typical gardening tools; a gas powered edger to clean up the garden bed, a shovel to dig up the plants, a fan rake the empty spot over with mulch and an I-Pod with fast tempo “pick-me-up” music to make the chore go by faster.

About an hour into the project I was in a zone. Lost in my own world of dirt and mulch and the music. It was just me and the music doing the landscaping. I was edging a little faster to the Counting Crows. I was digging to the beat of Peter Gabriel. And I was rocking the rake to Dave Matthews. I took a step back, while holding the rake, to catch my breath and survey the next section of the garden. Dave Matthews “Grave Digger” began playing on the I-Pod. This song is a very moody song that starts slow and picks up pace.

Without realizing what I was doing, like I said I was in a zone, I was playing the air guitar. Well actually I was playing the rake like it was guitar, my head slightly rocking back and forth to the beat. Half singing, half humming the lyrics.
Gravedigger,
When you dig my grave


“Bill.” I faintly hear my name being called. Someone in the crowd holding up a lighter.

Make it shallow,
So that I can feel the rain.


“Bill” My named called again only slightly louder than the first. The fans were digging the tune.

Little Mikey Carson 67 to 75
He rode his bike like the devil
Until the day he died.


BILL!” Someone was calling me.

I was immediately transported back to my front lawn. I turned around, still strumming the rake to see the lady from up the street trying to get my attention from her van. I acted like I was just trying to remove debris from the rake.

My face, it was already red from working.

17 comments:

Roxanne said...

No harm in a little "rake guitar" now is there?

sc@vp said...

My stomach? It really hurts from the laughing.

Slinger said...

That is hialrious. I too have done the air guitar with a lawn tool or two before. I find I start walking really fast when I am mowing and wearing the iPod, thus leaving a few strips of uncut grass.

Effie said...

So, how does your garden look?

Anonymous said...

Long live Rake N Roll !!

lawnwhisperer said...

Can I be in your band?

eclectic said...

Still trying to impress the neighbors, eh Bill?

Platypus said...

Oh you made me snort! One of the times I'm glad I live alone!

I have the best mental picture of you playing air guitar on that rake. Nice one!

Unknown said...

LOL - That's priceless!

I would never have interrupted you, Bill... I would have whipped out my digital camera and recorded a little movie of you with the rake, but I wouldn't have interrupted.

Anonymous said...

Well we have had Bill Haley and The Comets, so its time for Bill Blogger and The Rakes.
*applauds*

Personally I think it was rude of the lady to interupt your gardening, couldnt she see you were busy???

Anonymous said...

For those about to Rake...

We salute you.

Anonymous said...

What a great visual, lol. I found your blog by way of Slinger by way of Reynolds Rap. I read your post on "Picture Framed Eggs" & couldn't wait to try them on my family. They were a huge hit. Thanks for sharing the story and recipe.

kimmyk said...

Keep on rockin' in the free world William!

*throwin up my rock fists*

Julie said...

She probably would have seen you from in her house too. lol

Lois Lane said...

And that right there is why you never earned the Lawn Whisperererer title. Just be glad the lady from up the street didn't ask you whose grave you were digging. Clearly it was your own. ;)

Anonymous said...

I seriously need your life on video.

Anonymous said...

And I walk these streets...
A loaded Fan rake on my back
I play for keeps
Cuz I might not make it back.