Wednesday, February 15, 2006

First Impressions

The other day Lauren and I took Maxfield to the Barnes and Noble so Max could play with the Thomas Train set. (For the purposes of scientific study, Max did not poop. We are currently at a total of 6 trips to libraries or bookstores with 3 incidents since my last post about this.) While we are there we met a few other kids and their parents. As these types of things go there is the usual exchanging of statistical information about the kids.

“Oh how old is he? Trevor you must share.”

“Max will be two in March. How old is Trevor? Max give Nick the red one. You already have five trains.”

“Trevor is three. Is Nick your only one? Trevor play nice.”

“Yes Nick is 13 months old and we are expecting in June. Don’t put you mouth on that Nick.
And so on.

We had a good conversation with Nick’s parents and after discovering that Nick’s mom and Lauren are due at the same time they decided to exchange contact information for a possible playgroup.

We left the store and were continuing the conversation by our cars. Lauren and Nick’s Mom were over by their car when Nick’s Dad approached me at my car and asked me about our mini van. They were shopping for one and wanted to know how I felt about the KIA. I explained the pros and cons and that I thought our van was good. The only thing I did not like about it was that it didn’t have the “Stow and Go” seats in the back, the chairs that fold into the floor.

Nick’s Dad nodded and said, “Yes that would be good for hauling stuff like firewood.”

I laughed because I still find it weird that people in Florida have fireplaces and I responded, “Or dead bodies.”

Nick’s Dad did a double take and chuckled. I knew I messed up.

After we left, Lauren was happy to make a new contact and said that it would be good for Max to meet new kids. I turned to her and said, “That’s if they call.”

“Why wouldn’t they call?”

I told her about the dead body comment.

“Bill when are you going to learn to wait until after the first meeting of people to actually speak?”

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think that firewood and Mini Van belong together anyway. Bill, you can continue to play with yourself.

Anonymous said...

I'm a big believer in the fact that as long as YOU thought it was funny, it's ok. Clearly, that other guy didn't have a sense of humor. Personally, I thought your joke was hilarious ('course what do I know? I'm often embarassing my wife with similar comments. Oh well.)

Unknown said...

Poor Bill.

I would think that was funny... but that's me.

Nature Girl said...

See...this is EXACTLT the kind of thing that gets ME into trouble. All the time! sigh..Stacie

Lois Lane said...

It's okay Bill, all husbands have verbal diarrhea. At least you didn't enquire about Nick's poopie output to compare with Max and his book store bouts. :P
Lois Lane

MsCarolM said...

I would've found it pretty funny, but then, I'm weird like that:-)

Tammy said...

If he didn't find it funny, he wouldn't be a good friend, anyway. What a stick-in-the-mud.

Ern said...

If they can't take that kind of joke, do you really WANT to be friends with them?

Kami said...

I think you're funny, just like my hubs. It's too bad that some people miss that smart assedness. ;)

Rhonda said...

This is why I don't have many friends. My husband and I are the same way--smart asses--and not everyone gets that sense of humor. To hell with them, I say. I would totally have laughed at the dead bodies comment and played along.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh hahaha that is the funniest thing ever. I have done that a few times in the past. I keep forgetting to not say what is on my mind till after they get to know me for awhile, bleh.

*Tanyetta* said...

I say be YOURSELF at ALL times. And the way I see it, it's better that they KNOW what they're getting into by being friends with you guys and if they dont' call, it's their LOSS. ok i'm still laughing, dead bodies, firewood, minivans, woooo hoooooo

kimmyk said...

i thought it was funny!

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

LOL now listen to Lauren dont speak unless you really know them!
HA

LizzieDaisy said...

You'd have to be pretty good at a straight line (as in VERY straight face and not cracking a smile) before I'd even pause at your sense of humor, much less think twice about hanging out cause of fear. Geesh. I'm with everyone else... no great loss.

Do you ever watch "Yes, Dear?" There's a great episode where the husband throws a fit cause he always gets stuck with loser husband friends cause his wife hooks up with a woman friend and he's therefore STUCK being friends with her husband. He finally gets a good friend out of one of them, and she has a fight with the wife and wants them to "break up." I think they even play "Breaking up is hard to do." Something like that... with flashbacks. I was laughing my butt off. So true... goes both ways of course. :)

Susie said...

For the record my husband would have laughed or made a similar comment already. Maybe about stowing the kids or something. Sounds like a Lame dad. And those are painful. But if the playdates go well you will be stuck with him at every birthday party for the next 5 years. Enjoy!

C said...

OH MY COW! You are SO my husband! I can't get it through his head that I have to slowly aclimate people to his sense of humor before he just throws it out there!

Three weeks ago, the little cheerleading lady called to remind us that it was our daughter's turn to bring snacks. NOTE: this woman has NEVER met my husband.

"Hello, I'm Pat from Upward Cheerleading. I'm calling to remind you that Mackenzie is signed up to bring snacks tomorrow."

"WHAT? We have to bring SNACKS?"

Silence

"I'm just kidding, m'am. We've already bought them."

She hasn't looked either of us directly in the eye since then. She thinks he's psychotic.

Anonymous said...

Heh. How many potential friends of Lauren or Max have you scared away? Too funny.

Unknown said...

Did you post this before or did you do exactly the same with to some other people before...goof.

Cat said...

Wait. They don't haul dead bodies down in Florida? Huh. Weird.

(I bet you they call. I do. I bet you a dollar. Because that was some gnarly humor, you know what I'm saying? GNARLY!)

Shannon Nelson said...

Basically your BN conversation is how mine goes everyday with other parents. Sometimes I wonder how to talk like an adult again.