Monday, December 14, 2009

My Mother In Law's Favorite Blog

My mother-in-law reads two blogs; Poop and Boogies and The Pioneer Woman. Guess which one is her favorite. No seriously guess. Go ahead guess.

When I found out that my mother in law's favorite blogger was going to be signing her new book, The Pioneer Woman Cooks, in the Philadelphia area, I thought it would be a great idea to take my mother-in-law to meet her. I, too, am a fan of Ree Drummond and her blog and I was excited by the opportunity to meet her. I was also excited that there would be a chance that other local Philly bloggers would be there and I may also get a chance to meet them.

Sunday, the day of the book signing, was busy day in our house. Not only are we still working on begatting our living room and dining room, but I also bought our Christmas tree that morning and promised the kids that they could decorate it and decorate the house while I was gone with Mom Mom. I left a lot on Lauren's plate for the day when I left at noon to pick up my MIL.

We arrived at the book store around 1:15 which was an hour and fifteen minutes early. The number we received for our place in line was # 123. Holy cow does the Pioneer Woman have a lot of fans. I purchased our copies of the book and we found some seats where the signing would be held (this is the same place I met Brad Meltzer). I kept rubber necking the room trying to see if I recognized any other bloggers. Which I didn't.

A few minutes later Sue and Charlotte, other bloggers that I know, which Lauren refers to as my "pretend friends" (which I think means that she means that Sue and Charlotte pretend to be my friend) arrived. I have "known" Sue and Charlotte for 4 years now and I have only met them one other time. I was very happy to see them. I gave them my official Poop and Boogies business cards, I use when I meet other bloggers. We chatted and laughed while waiting for Ree Drummond to make her appearance. Charlotte and Sue are two of the nicest people. Both genuine and sincere and funny as hell. Hanging out with them felt like I was hanging out with friends I have known for 20 years.

At one point during our conversation I spotted Bossy, from Iambossy. I am a fan of her blog as well. I yelled out to her. She looked my way and continued walking. I thought maybe that she was "big timing" me, but after thinking about it, maybe I scared her. She does not know me or my blog really. I mean if I saw me calling my name from across a room I might be scared as well. A few minutes later she did come over to me, I introduced myself, she was nice.

The Pioneer Woman showed up on time and took questions from the audience. She was very funny and she seems very genuine. I like genuine. I like funny. My mother in law seemed to enjoy her as well. The book store staff started lining up people in groups of twenty for the signing. While we waited I hung out with Charlotte, Sue, my MIL, and Karen who was the woman who sat next to my MIL. (Hi Karen)

We waited. We waited some more. I kept checking the clock on my cell. It was getting later and later. I kept thinking of Lauren at home with the boys decorating the tree without me. I kept thinking of how the boys were probably beating each other up over who got to hang what ornament. I kept picturing Jackson eating pine needles and ornament hooks. I imagined the cat knocking over the tree. I pictured Lauren at her wit's end. I felt bad. Finally at 5PM, I asked my MIL how she felt about leaving without meeting PW. She was fine with it. I on the other hand was disappointed. I wanted the opportunity to tell PW how much I appreciated her work. I wanted to tell her I have been following her from the early days back in 'aught six. I wanted to tell her I was excited for her and her success. I also wanted to hand her one of my Poop and Boogies business cards. But I knew I really should get home. We decided to leave.

I gave our number in line, #123, to Sue and Charlotte (their number was like #175 or something) and told them I was leaving. It then dawned on me that maybe they could get my book signed, which they agreed to do. They also volunteered to have my MIL's book signed. Charlotte also said she would give the Pioneer Woman my business card, which made me happy. They even took a picture. Very cool.


When I got home around 6PM, I told Lauren what happened. She felt bad and asked if I felt like I wasted my time for the past 6 hours. Here I drove 45 minutes in each direction, waited around for a few hours for a chance to meet someone that truly respect and admire, only to leave without meeting her and without a book. My answer was simple.

"No. I got to hang out with Sue, Charlotte and your mom. It was fun. I hope Charlotte and Sue don't steal the books. Then I won't have a Christmas gift for your mom."


By the way, Pioneer Woman Cooks is # 2 on the NY Times Best Seller List. My guess is, next week , with the P&B bump, she will be #1.

20 comments:

Sue said...

I will have you know that when we handed PW your card, before we could say anything, she said...
"Poop and Boogies, I know this!" very excitedly. Which of course means either that she knows of your blog or that she has had some interesting encounters with fans and their bodily secretions on her book tour. NO - she remembered you!

We won't steal the books. We are looking forward to the book handover.
-- your friend,
George Glass

Vajana said...

that is a great recount of your time with Sue and Charlotte. now all I do is picture William with a giant afro wig ala 'George Glass'.

When is everyone coming to the Midwest to go to a book signing with ME?!?!? :)

Unknown said...

I'm jealous you and Sue and Charlotte all got to hang out. Glad I was there the last time :) Someone needs to plan a blogger BBQ for exactly the weekend I'll be back home next summer. (Hint hint) Sharkey's house would be a good place for that too, I bet.

Anonymous said...

Is the P&B Bump a new handshake?

Charlotte in Pa said...

Nah - the P&B Bump is a new dance craze. It'll be all over YouTube soon!

Of course it was our pleasure to see you AND your lovely MIL. If you ever want to see the books again, bring $100 in unmarked bills to....

Anonymous said...

Maybe if you posted recipes, your mother-in-law would like your blog better.

Sharkey said...

JP and I are totally up for a blogger BBQ next summer. We just need to know when MM is going to be in town. Bloggers from outside PA will also be welcome!

Anonymous said...

Mrs Drummond ? I loved that Arnold character.

Anonymous said...

Is the P & B bump what Lauren had when she was 16 weeks pregnant?

jaacs said...

Oh gosh! That wait! We were #75 and got there an hour and a half before she did. It took us 2 hours in line. My poor children. lol. My first book signing. Now I know.

When she was in Denver, she said her publisher had told her she was #1. Not the case?

She really is a nice lady. We have pics of me and my girls (2 and 4) with her on our computer and the 4 year old loves to look at them and talk about her friend Ree. lol.

That was smart of them to give you numbers. We had line cutters and people told on them. Quite entertaining during the long wait.

for a different kind of girl said...

Your thought might be working. I have a copy of her book sitting right here next to me as I type this comment. Granted, I don't know how much power I have over the NY Times best seller list. I mean, sure, I work at a book store, and, I'll confess, this is a borrowed copy from the store and I didn't buy it, but still...

(I am going to buy it, though. I believe there's some homemade cinnamon rolls in my future!)

maria from nj said...

Ree, schmee! (LoL, I read her too, but mostly on weekend because I get lost reading around on her site) Did the tree get decorated? Was there kid mahem? Did Lauren need to use a Birkie swat to survive? Enquiring minds need to know!

Anonymous said...

When she came to my area I got in line at 11am and didn't get my book signed until about 430pm. It was painful...

Anonymous said...

What I want to know is, what was the status of your household when you arrived?

(As a wife & mother, I think you did the right thing. Tough choice, I know.)

Melinda said...

When you write your best seller and come to London for a book signing, I will queue to see you and get my book signed.
And probably heckle you from the crowd, too.

Isn't Ree a success story? I am sure she is thrilled you are a fan.

Amber said...

My friend Emily saw her when she was in the Minneapolis area; it was similarly insane with people:

http://thesinglesister.blogspot.com/2009/11/just-following-orders.html

dw said...

OMG! Her food blogs are amazing! I'm going to try the Tres Leches Cake for Christmas.
Too bad you didn't get to meet her but hope your friends come through with the signed books. :)

Anonymous said...

Is it me or is PW kind of hot?

Anonymous said...

I love your MIL. But she gets 6 hours out of your day, and I got 10 minutes the other night. And in that 10 minutes you sighed 10 times! Something is amiss here. Why did you not WAIT? Lauren is a big girl and can handle the boys and the pets and the Christmas tree! Think of what you missed by your impatience.hmmhhmmhmm 6 hours!

Karen said...

Hey! I'm Karen, and I enjoyed talking with your lovely MIL Emily at the PW book signing---and didn't get out of there until 6:00 PM! Ask Emily if she recalls meeting my friend Mandy; then check out Ree's I'm In Trouble blog under her cooking tab...Mandy's cookie gift made Ree swoon! And check out Mandy's blog at http://bunnyhillhomestead.blogspot.com/. Pretty cool! Love your blog too...and nice meeting you! Happy Holidays!

PS Your kids are adorable!