Thursday, September 18, 2008

Poop and Boogies Bump

I received an invitation in the mail to go see Brad Meltzer at a book signing in the Philadelphia area(read posts about Brad Here Here and Here). I planned on attending the signing anyway but the fact that I received and invite just meant that they wanted me there. I am sure no one else actually received an invite. Sure it was not addressed specifically to me but they knew who they were sending it to. Right?

I have been to a few book signings but never for Brad Meltzer. The guy is one of my favorite authors and it was a perfect opportunity to meet him and talk to him and you know...stalk him.

I arrived a little early and staked out my seat in the middle of the goup of folding chairs the book store had set up in front of a podium. I did not want to be too close to the front because then I would seem too eager, too dorkish. I did not want to be too far back because I did not want to seem like I was not interested. My seat was perfect.

I met a lovely couple, John and Joanne, who were there to get a book signed for their son Dennis. They were not fans of Brad but were willing to muddle through the event for their son. I chatted with them for a bit before Brad arrived.

Brad spoke for about 30 minutes about his book, his writing, his television projects and comics. He was very funny. Joanne and John seemed like they were entertained. I did not see too many people there taking pictures so I was not sure if I would look like the biggest dork in the world if I started snapping photos. When Brad sat down to sign some books I decided to sneak some pictures in.

That is him there signing away.


The above picture was so I could have a picture of Brad and me together in case they were not going to allow it. I stood in line for about 10 minutes trying to come up with something witty to say but I knew that once I started talking I would sound like Chris Farley interviewing Paul Mc Cartney. Again Iwanted to avoid the whole dorkishiness.

When I got to the table I said hello as Brad asked me if I wanted to have the book personalized.

"I'm Bill, from Poop and Boogies." I said.

Brad jumped up from the table. "I am so glad to meet you." He said. "Thanks so much for coming tonight. Give me a hug."

He hugged me and said. "I really love your blog."

Then we chatted for a few minutes and I do not remember what he said after that,because I could not get past the fact that he told me that he loved my blog.

I aksed him if I could take a stalker picture with him and he said of course. He thanked me for the review and again for attending the signing.


This is how he signed my book.

I was relieved. I was not a dork at all. I did not embarrass myself.

The Book of Lies is now #2 on the New York Times best Seller list. Do you know where it was on the list before my review? It wasn't. I like to think that my review boosted his book to the number 2 position. Poop and Boogies bumped his sales up.

I hung out for a while after and listened to other people talk about his books and I listened to his responses. He was genuinely gracious and appreciative of every person there. He was also very, very funny. I was enjoying listening to him crack jokes. Then, I realized that I was the only one sitting there besides Brad's friends and family. I suddenly felt quite awkward and weird. I was the only person there that was not part of his group. Should I just get up and leave? No, that would be strange, like why was I just hanging out and then get up and bolt out of there? Should I say something else to him? No that would seem waaay too stalker-ish. I was stuck. His friends were kind of giving each other looks, but referring to me, like "yo what's up with this dude?"

I sensed the complete awkwardness of the entire moment. I stood up and shook Brad Meltzer's hand and I left.

All the efforts I took to avoid me being a total dork...gone.

29 comments:

Bogart said...

I can't believe it took you that long to realize it...I thought I was cool until I was in my 20's, then my coolness was shattered...I am accepting that I am a dork and often look like one...

You should be proud that you could hold your coolness until this late in the game!

;-)

Papa Bradstein said...

You're so not a dork. What a great day for you and for your new BFF. Seriously, if you're going to stalk someone, far better an author than a vapid heiress. You may still be a dork, but you're also a great role model.

eclectic said...

That'll teach ya... you can't avoid your essential nature. If you're a dork, you're a dork. ;)

However, in your case, I think maybe you're not REALLY a dork, you just play one at book signings.

Unknown said...

LOL That is so cool that you got to meet him. I love his books! I'm so jealous!!

Anonymous said...

That's AWESOME.

And that stalker picture of you and Brad? BEST. PICTURE. EVER!

You are not a dork, Bill. Stop it, already!

Anonymous said...

Whenever you sit in a GOUP of folding chairs you are in trouble.

tricki_nicki said...

Wow, how cool is that!?

That picture is freakin' HI-larious! Now I'm going to have to go get his book.

Anonymous said...

The autograph looks like your handwriting, and I saw a cardboard cutout of Brad that looked just like that at 3 Barnes and Noble stores. I agree with Nilbo Baggins.

Unknown said...

Dude, that makes me grin from ear to ear!

Dr Zibbs said...

Were you emabarassed when you had to tell him to write Poop abd Boogies?

Anonymous said...

That is SO COOL! I *LOVE* his books too!

I probably would have been the last one to leave. . . sitting in total awe the whole time. . . too star struck to move :)

You have my admiration for reaching out and letting him know how you felt about his books in the first place! What an awesome response you received!

James (SeattleDad) said...

Very Cool! Sounds like Brad may be your new stalker. Watch out!

I am going to have to pick up that book. Can you get my copy signed for me? LOL.

Undercover Mutha said...

Oh mug gawd. I just tore something in my abdomen from laughing so hard. I tried to keep it in and then I hit the eyeball pic and it was over.

Just send me your address so I know where to send the medical bills. Damn you.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize that the guy from the Benny Hill show wrote books

Anonymous said...

i heart dorks.

JP said...

That is so cool. Trust me, you are not a dork. You are never at the meetings! You...you...you gotta thing... you do... you totally do.. YOU DO!!

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

I totally have "you met an author" envy. That is really really cool. :)
dawn

Anonymous said...

The photo with your eye is hilarious. After seeing how keyed up you were to meet a bunch of us local bloggers (though maybe some of that energy was from having a successful opening night), I can't imagine how you must've been with someone famous!

Karina said...

after reading one of your first posts on Brad's books, I saw one in Costco . . . . i guess i'll have to get one sometime, sounds like they're good.

Steve said...

Due, you have a pencil behind your ear...you're a dork. But remember, dorks get to have famous authors praise their blogging efforts.

Congrats on moving from stalker to fan.

Anonymous said...

I am laughing out loud!!!! Can't stand it! You're an Author Groupie! William, I'm sorry, but you truly are a dork! Glad you met your favorite. You do make me laugh! I love you, you Dorky guy you. Momo9

Anonymous said...

I think you may have a concussion.

Anonymous said...

Very, very cool. I'll have to take a look into that book.

Oh.. and dorks aren't THAT bad. *grins*

Chadwick said...

Dude that is just way cool that you got to meet him. I think if he knows who you are through your infamy on this blog - can you ever really count yourself as a stalker. Who knows - maybe he turns into your stalker.

I'm a huge Brad Meltzer fan, so I am totally jealous - in a macho guy kindof way.

Rock on dude!!!

April said...

You are a cool dork, so that makes it okay. I am totally outgoing, but if I run into someone "famous," I tend to clam up and just stare at them and make them feel uncomfortable. It's a gift. :)

That book is next on my list to read. And yes, all because of your review.

OhTheJoys said...

What? You're not a dork?

We can't hang out anymore.

Heh.

sari said...

OK I think it's totally hysterical that you took the picture of you and him while you were in line in case you couldn't later. That's priceless.

And how cool! The picture of you guys together. I love it! What an exciting evening, dorky or not.

Anonymous said...

I'm just relieved that you didn't ask to rub his head like the last book signing you attended...

you didn't...

did you?!

Anonymous said...

I think the photo taken while hiding behind the bookshelves pretty much cemented your status as a dork.

And that he admitted to loving your blog pretty much cements his status as a dork, too.

;)