Monday, January 02, 2006

I will not write about it again...after this one.

I have written about this before, twice actually, but I have to write about it again due to the total strangeness of the phenomena. I promise not to write about again after today.

Yesterday Maxfield pooped at about 8:30 am. Okay all kids poop, no big deal. I changed his diaper and we went on with our day. Part of the day we had to go to Books-A-Million to return a Christmas gift. We arrived at the bookstore at about 10:30am and Lauren and Max went to the Thomas the Train section so Max could play while I was browsing.

When I met up with them I walked up to Max and I could smell that he soiled his diaper again. I looked at Lauren in disbelief, “He pooped. I can’t believe it.”

Lauren chuckled and said, “Are you serious? He just went this morning.”
Lauren took him to the restroom to change him I just stood there shaking my head.

Later in the evening, about 5:30, we went to Barnes and Noble to redeem some gift cards that we received. We were there 20 minutes when, yep, he went again. He was playing with the Thomas Train Set at Barnes and Noble as well.

"I can't believe he went again. This is really weird." I mouthed silently to Lauren so other patrons would not think we were loony discussing our kids crapping habits in the kids section.

Not only am I amazed that the kid pooped three times in one day but also he did his business twice in the same day in two different bookstores. I believe I need to start documenting this for a scientific study. Is it the bookstore? Is it Thomas? What is it about being surrounded by books that makes him go?

Did they ever cover this on the X-files?

16 comments:

The Q said...

All I know is that I am NEVER taking my Niece to a bookstore! I'll buy her plenty of books to read or to read to her, but I'll leave any exchanges up to my Brother and SIL.

That shit is just creepy (pun totally inteneded)

jen said...

Well Bill, I don't think this should be your last post on the subject. I mean, now it's a phenomenon. You should keep a log for Max to look back on when he's older... or as my family would do, bring it out when the new boyfriend comes to meet the family. Just great!

jen said...

Well boyfriend in my case... probably girlfriend in Max's case. LOL

Anonymous said...

I remember hearing some comedian, years ago, joking about bookstores having a laxative effect. So I guess Max isn't the only one. Maybe this is where the tradition of reading in the bathroom comes from...

Kari said...

LOL.
Maybe you should buy him a Thomas set and see what happens. At least then you could rule that out...lol!

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

I dont know if this is true but I heard books are associated with making one have to go. Dont hold me to it but I understand Max...its the books!

kimmyk said...

I would guess it's cause he's so excited and comfortable. Honey does that when he goes to Dicks Sporting Goods. He always has to take his baby wipey pack with him...cause he has a tender bottom..I don't know why he does it, I don't ask really. But I think it's the fact they get so excited. Honey's 36...let's hope Max outgrows it long before Honey does.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps this is the phenomenon related to the stack of reading material next to the toilet in my bathroom(s).
I know i don't read it. In and out, no hangin' about!

Anonymous said...

Please don't stop writing about it, I enjoy reading about it! In the name of science, you have to continue documenting this case. It's so funny, especially considering how often it happens. Does he ever go to the bookstore without pooping? Good luck figuring it out! Happy New Year!

Tammy said...

In the name of science, please do NOT stop writing about it. I get a good chuckle out of it every single time!

Anonymous said...

Now that is strange! Please keep us posted :)Poor guy he must be wondering the same thing!

Susie said...

Listen, consider this - on the days you go to the bookstore you can feed him all the bananas and cheese you want. No problem!

Anonymous said...

I'll be honest. After a New Year Marathon it became clear to me, Thomas bores the shit outta me. badda boom chap.

Unknown said...

This is hilarious. I'm with mrtl, but include a big shelf of books in the bathroom too.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

That is so funny, but weird too.
Believe it or not (this is kinda personal ... don't tell anyone), but whenever I go to the library, I need to do just what Max does !!!! Don't know what it is, but it happens nearly every time !!! Luckily there are public conveniences located withing the library !!!! Doesn't happen in a bookstore, though !!
Take care !!

Anonymous said...

This is pretty common, I think. http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/19556

At least I hope it is common cause otherwise I am the only grown man in America who needs a BM whenever he goes to a record store.