Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Genius Is...

...separating the silverware, into separate sections while putting it into the dishwasher. When you take it out, you just grab the one section with the spoons and put it away. Forks, put away. Knives, done. It beats separating it while emptying the dishwasher.

Lauren has been doing this for a while and, one day, I figured it out. I was putting away the clean dishes and I realized that all the butter knives were in one compartment. I was actually floored with the genius of this way of thinking. It was like the greatest invention ever. My wife invented the greatest kept domestic secret on the planet.

A few days later we were at my friend Bob’s house for a dinner party. I was helping him clean up and noticed that he was separating the silverware before putting it into the dishwasher.

It was then that I realized I am just an idiot.

Lauren is still a genius.

They should teach this in Home-Ec.

6 comments:

August95 said...

You are not an idiot. I don't do this on purpose. If you put all the spoons together, they, well, spoon. I hate taking out spoons and there is still stuff on it and its partner and you have to wash them again.

Have a great evening and nice blog. I love the name.

Anonymous said...

Not genius there Bill, it's anal. They have to be seperated at some time, before or after, that's all. Your wife and I have had this chat, she is anal.

Unknown said...

You are not an idiot.

Here's my thinking on it, though...

(not that you asked, but hey, anyone can make comments here, and this is the type of thing you should expect)

If you have all the spoons in one place, and all the forks in another, what if, during the washing, they "spoon" together and don't get completely clean because of the schmutz inbetween the spoony place?

My nearly three year old, however, will put all the "like" silverware together in the dishwasher if given the opportunity. She's like that.

ieatcrayonz said...

I'm with Kelli and August. There's definitely a spoon magnet factor when washing them all together. I purposefully separate them out amongst the bins with some up, some down for this reason. It's a nasty obsessive compulsive world I live in.

Effie said...

I find that same problem with the spoons spooning--and when you put some face up and some face down then you still have to sort them out when you take them out of the dishwasher. I, however, do not have to worry about trivial things like that as I am not "burdened" with a dishwasher. I am chief cook and bottle washer at my place (no matter how hard I try to get my hubby to do some of it--whenever it's his turn to cook it always "Seems like a good night to order in pizza or go out for chinese buffet". Amazing how that works, eh?!)

Susie said...

The spoons won't spoon if you don't put them in there spooning. If you turn them every-which-a-way, they'll be fine. I'm with Lauren. It's a wonder she lets you out of the house alone ;)