Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving story.

I may have told this story before, here on Poop and Boogies, and if so, my apologies. But I laugh every time I think about it.


My mom hosts, on average, about 35 people a year for Thanksgiving. Nine kids, plus spouses, plus 22 or so grandkids, it is a lot of people. Each family brings a dish of some sort but my mom does the cooking of the turkey and the stuffing.

A few years back she started to cook more than one bird for the dinner. Since the larger turkey took up all the space in her main oven she bought a medium sized rotisserie oven to cook a smaller second turkey.

A couple of years ago, or maybe it was last year, the rotisserie oven broke. My mom was given it a test run a couple of weeks prior to Thanksgiving to make sure it was ready. Well, she found out that the mechanism that turned the fowl or maybe it was the fetzer valve or the by-pass line, I am not sure, was not working properly. She asked my dad to take a look at it to see if he could fix it. Otherwise she would not have to buy a new one and she did not want to spend the money. She left the oven on a table in the laundry room/back office so my dad could tinker with it.

My dad travels a bit a with his job but he goes in and out of his office almost everyday. Every night for three weeks my mom would ask my dad if he fixed the rotisserie. Every night my dad would say he did not get around to it. My mom explained that rotisseries were expensive and if she had to, she would get a new one. My dad would counter with the fact that he would fix it. The rotisserie just sat on the table.

The Tueday before Thanksgiving my dad came home early from working and saw the rotisserie sitting on the table. With only 48 hours left until Thanksgiving he grabbed a screw driver and decided to take the oven apart.

Later that evening, when my mom and dad were talking he told her that he disassembled the oven but could not see anything wrong with it. He also told her that the he was having a hard time putting the pieces back together.

My mom freaked out.

Here, she went out the day before and bought a new rotisserie oven and threw the old one away. My dad took apart a brand new oven.

18 comments:

Patience said...

oops.

Tina said...

hilarious!! Great story!

Ashley said...

i don't know how i stumbled onto this blog, but it cracks me up. you are a funny funny man, and although this is probably meant to be a way for you to communicate with friends and family, I'm sticking around.

The Egel Nest said...

Classic!

Happy Thanksgiving...last week :)


Bradley
The Egel Nest

Ern said...

Oh noooo!

(So do the spouses ever get to have dinner with their families, or are you roped in every year if you marry into the poop and boogies clan?)

K said...

Awwwwwwwwww SNAP!

Unknown said...

Hahahaahaha!

Jody said...

OMG! I think I would have roasted him that year...

Candace said...

You had 3 turkeys, right? Your Dad being the largest!

Heather said...

Great story! What was the outcome - your dad no longer tries to fix things, or your mom no longer asks him? My dad's oven broke once in the middle of cooking the meal. We finished everything on the grill, including the pies.

Anonymous said...

This should be a lesson to men everywhere to just DO IT WHEN WE ASK THE FIRST TIME.

Anonymous said...

This should be a lesson to men everywhere to just DO IT WHEN WE ASK THE FIRST TIME.

Gwen said...

OMG! That is The Best Thanksgiving story EVER.

Anonymous said...

You have definitely never shared that one - HA! I agree with Kalki!

Nilbo said...

See, Kalki, we'd do it eventually.

YOU DON'T NEED TO REPEAT YOURSELF.

YOU DON'T NEED TO REPEAT YOURSELF.

But ... as you so beautifully illustrate ... you do. Then we do what you asked, as we said we would. And you take credit.

(sigh) Women. Can't live with 'em ...

... pass the beer nuts.

MP said...

What a GREAT story!!

Anonymous said...

Wow-I only stuff like that happened at MY house! So funny!

theotherbear said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Best Thanksgiving story I've heard.