Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Making Some Bucks

Part of the agreement of sale, when we purchased our house, was that the previous owners could leave anything in the house and we would assume possession of those items at settlement. The previous owner was a 90-year lady who was going into assisted living. Her sons were quite happy about not having to move any of her furniture.

They left us a ton of stuff. Some of the items were nice or interesting and Lauren and I decided to keep them. We kept the dining room table and chairs, the electronic organ that Maxfield and Wyatt love playing, a few end tables and we kept some lamps and other odds and ends. We had to get rid of the rest of the stuff. So on top of moving, painting, unpacking and re-doing the bathroom we also had to hold a yard sale.

This past Saturday we had the sale. We were quite happy to unload a bunch of items and make a few bucks at the same time. It was also a great way to meet the neighbors. I was on my best behavior and I kept in mind the list of things that I was not allowed to say in public (according to Lauren). What we did not sell, we donated to local thrift stores.

Yesterday Lauren went to the local Italian Market to pick up some items for dinner. The female clerk told her that it would be 20 some odd dollars.

Lauren pulled out a wad of one-dollar bills from her purse that we earned from the yard sale and said, “I hope you don’t mind all ones.”

The man in line behind Lauren gave her a look, as did the clerk.

The clerk said, “I don’t mind the singles and I am not going to ask.”

Lauren looked at the clerk and then the guy in line and said, “No, I am not a stripper if that is what you are thinking.”

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Hee hee...

Anonymous said...

Ain't no shame in Lauren's game.

Hey, post that list of things you're not allowed to say. :)

sherrypg said...

I tend to have a crap load of ones in my wallet for whatever reason. I love to pull a bunch out at the register and say, "This is the last of my dancin' dollars."

eclectic said...

Oh please..., if Lauren had earned them stripping, those 1s woulda been 5s or 10s. Don't those people have eyes?!

Ern said...

Maybe this is a sign that your roles (embarrasser and embarrassee) will be reversed in your new neighborhood.

NO WAY. My word verification is "stahot". Stay hot, Lauren!

Anonymous said...

LOL...awesome!!!

Chris H said...

Ha! I would not have thought of that as an explanation for having a wad of $1 notes! Too funnny!

Melanie said...

That is hilarious!!!

BOSSY said...

So wait - are you trying to tell Bossy you can purchase things with paper money?

Effie said...

hahahaha
Go Lauren...

Anonymous said...

She should take that as a compliment. Total MILF.

Nilbo said...

I'm with Shari. No way any guy could look at her and pull out a $1 bill. She's a Lincoln, minimum.

You? Certainly a Buffalo.

Stepping Over the Junk said...

classic. what on earth was she wearing?

Toni said...

ROFL...too funny!

Creative-Type Dad said...

That's funny!

OhTheJoys said...

Oh, no!

That didn't even occur to me though. (Of course.)

Nature Girl said...

That reminds me of the time you and Maxfield went to the grocery store and.....wait...you were there..you KNOW! LOL
Lauren is too funny.
Stacie

Joanna said...

I ran across your blog from someone elses, although at the moment I can't remember which one. Anyways. I just wanted to say "hi" and that I found your blog entertaining and I am going to be reading often!