Monday, October 08, 2007

Hello Neighbor

Our new neighbors across the street from us are a multigenerational household. Living there is the older couple, their daughter and their grandchildren. I have not met them yet but I have seen the older couple every morning sitting on their porch drinking coffee. They have been enjoying the unseasonable nice weather.

The same unseasonable nice weather has caused the bugs in the area to be a bit more active for this time of year. Active bugs bring active spiders. I hate spiders and I think one of the worst feelings in the world is walking face first into a spider web.

The other morning I walked out the front door and my face was immediately wrapped in the silky threads of a web that must have been built the night before. I started slapping my face and doing the “ohmygodgetitoffmegetitoffmegetitoffme” dance, flailing my arms and shivering and twitching.

15 seconds later I took a deep breath, satisfied that I removed the web and the potential spider. I looked up, and staring at me from across the street were my new neighbors.

I waved.

They were hesitant, but they waved back.

19 comments:

Stepping Over the Junk said...

oh no. they are thinking "what have we got here?"

in dread.

just kidding.

Busy Dad Mumbles said...

Every now and then you should go out front in the mornings and practice that dance move again. Your first neighbor event could be a local version of dancing with the bugs.

Spider webs are the worst. You always wonder if the architect is in residence.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain...except that I rip my clothes off in fear that the spider might have fallen down there. Your neighbors are lucky that I don't live across the street from them.

Chris H said...

What a great way to meet the neighbours.... wonder how long it will take them to actually feel 'safe' to approach you now!!!!

ewe are here said...

ugh. I hate touching spider webs, so I know that 'dance'.

Maybe you should warn your new neighbors to keep score cards handy for these morning dances. heh heh

RVVagabond said...

The conversation between the couple probably went something like "Oh what a shame he has a condition like that, he seems like such a nice young man."

Unknown said...

Hahahahaha!

Great story and Linda and Denny's comment made me laugh, too! (If you can get the boys to do it, the neighbors might think it's genetic!)

Nothing like alerting the neighbor's to who you "are" right away. :)

You make me smile, William. :)

Jody said...

Have to laugh at you...

As for Glenn Beck tickets- I highly recommend his shows. Funny, thought provoking, emotional. Get some for yourself, too!

Kami said...

They were thinking, "There goes the neighborhood."

Anonymous said...

At least they didn't run screaming into the house and tell the children to stay away from the crazy man across the street.

LOL!!!

The Egel Nest said...

I do that same dance with bees...I am not the "let the bee land on you and ignore it" type of guy...I am a dodge the bee and run kind of guy!


Bradley
The Egel Nest

Teri said...

I'm sure your Florida neighbors already warned your Pennsylvania neighbors.

BOSSY said...

You should have shouted, "Thank you. I'll be here all week!" (month, year, lifetime.)

Effie said...

hi william!

Clinton said...

Man, I hate that, too! The only thing worse is to feel something crawling on your neck.
You could put up a sign in your yard advertising dance lessons.

BTW, did you know there's a Hall of Justice cereal? I forget the brand, but it looked pretty cool.

iheartchocolate said...

This was the best visual! That is so darn funny!

Anonymous said...

It's best that they learn from the get-go that you are freaking crazy.

Dave Cole said...

For some reason, I hear the old No Doubt song Spiderweb playing while this happens to you.

SusieJ said...

I like busy dad's idea. That would really get them.