Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Why I Should Not Speak

Last night I was out walking the dog down by the park when my neighbor pulled into the parking lot to drop off some kids. My neighbor is V. the mother of K, the girl who watched my cats while we were on vacation (I posted THIS the other day how when she came over to get paid we were searching the house for Maxfield).

There was some small talk. V asked about our vacation. I asked her if K had any problems and thanked V for allowing her daughter to Cat-Sit for us. She responded that K enjoyed it and was happy to do it and would be willing to do it again in the future. I chuckled and then I said.

“Did she tell you we lost our son?”

The look on her face was one of horror. Her mouth dropped open and she covered it with her hand, “Oh Gosh” she muttered.

I then realized what I said and had to explain the whole story to her. “No. I mean we found him….it’s just that…Okay that was bad choice of words. I meant he was playing hide and seek with us when she came over and….No. Max is okay. We were just embarrassed that we lost him in front of the babysitter…I mean we couldn’t find him. She waited while we were searching for him. Your daughter probably thinks we are nuts.”

She looked relieved and said, “Oh. Okay. For a second there I thought…well you seemed too happy for something like that to have happened.”

“Sorry for that. I should have used a better choice of words. Uhhh. Good night.”


Now the mother thinks we are nuts.

15 comments:

Cat said...

Oh, man. AWKWARD. With a huge helping of UN. COMFORTABLE.

Heh. It's kind of funny, though. HEE!

I know. I am EVIL.

Unknown said...

Oh, Dude... funny, but yeah, uncomfortable for you. Heh, think of it this way, though. Her opinion of you can only go UP from here. :)

eclectic said...

Yep. The mother now thinks you are nuts! Maybe........ nah...you're not! But that's a pretty funny picture you just painted in my head. Poor V.

Kari said...

OMG, too much! Don't you just love those awkward moments, followed by the continuous back pedaling and word changing...

Crazy neighbors, we all have 'em. Now you just know who they are...it's you, LOL. Life goes on...

Nature Girl said...

I have 2 teenagers, if I send 'em over you think you could loose them? I laughed out loud when I read this one. Its nice to know I'm not the only one who sticks my foot in my mouth. Stacie

Nature Girl said...

not that I think you stick your foot in your mouth every time you speak, I just meant that I do everytime I speak and well...uh...I gotta go now..bye Stacie

Jewl said...

I am always spitting things out of my mouth before my brain approves. Everyone thinks I am nuts, glad I am not the only one!

Anonymous said...

My ex called work and told my boss we had lost my daughter. He rushed a bewildered me to the phone and as I asked what ws going on She repeated we had lost my daughter- then explained a neighbor child had taken her for a ride on his big wheel-pushed her off at the corner, and left her. Scared and 50 yards from home on a curving street she hid in some bushes and was found after about 10 minutes. Then the ex-called to compalin about the neighbor kid and scared the bejeezus out of me and my boss. Poor choice of words indeed!

Effie said...

Teehee! She probably just thinks you're a tad loco--no biggie!

Mama Duck said...

This is exactly the reason that I've stopped telling the checkers at Target that I'm looking for gypsies to sell my children to when she asks how my day is going.

Some people just don't get parent humor.

Susie said...

I'm thinking you're gonna need to find a new cat-sitter :)

Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I have a "nutty" brother and his wife, and their two boys in Kissimmee...I ought to put you altogether. ;)

Hh

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I once was at the checkout counter at Dick's sporting goods with my 5 year old and 4 year old and asked the lady if I could exchange them in for a pitching wedge and dozen balls. She got offended that I would even joke about that. So I, "Oh, am I asking too much, I'll just take the pitching wedge, and we'll call it even." She still did not laugh.

SuzanH said...

But if you stop speaking, what will you use for blog fodder?

Rhonda said...

LOL! I just found you through The Dallas K's. Your site is great...I'm going to add it to my favorites.