Monday, August 29, 2005

Back In Action

We got home from our vacation yesterday. (We were in Pennsylvania for a week seeing family and friends. The vacation provided plenty of material for Poop and Boogies to be posted later). We were only home for a few hours when the vacation vibes started to wear off.

Max started whining and grunting. I could tell from the sound that he was in a pain. He spent the last two days in a car, being one of the best passengers, ever, to travel 17 hours through 8 states. I knew he was having some problems with the plumbing.

I laid him down and took off his diaper. I will not write the details because I was grossed out and I do not want to gross out anyone else, but I had to manually remove that which could not make a proper exit. It was disturbing.

Max was feeling much better and we were playing (trying to get him some much needed exercise). The way our house is laid out on the first floor every room has at least two entrances including the master bedroom. Max likes to run circles through the rooms and through the house. He was making one of his passes through the bedroom, then the kitchen than the living room, and started running down the hall, which, connects the rooms again. There was a knock on the door. It was the girl who occasionally baby-sits Max and who fed our cats while we were away. I went to answer the door, and noticed that Max did not make his second lap. I yelled to Lauren to see if she had him, but no she did not.

I invited the girl into the house so I could get her money. Lauren was circling the house looking for Max. She could not find him. I asked the cat sitter to wait a second because we lost our son. Seriously we lost him. Lauren and I are running around the house calling out his name and we could not find him. It was so embarrassing because there we are, panicking, in front of the 13-year girl we pay to watch our son, who is now missing. She looked at us like we were nuts.

We found Max under the bed. Apparently he was chasing the cat. Lauren pulled him out and he was covered in cat hair and dust bunnies. But unharmed.

Max also figured out he can fit through the cat door that leads to the garage. This made me think two things. 1. I now have to childproof the garage. 2. We have very large cats.

10 comments:

LizzieDaisy said...

A cat door? Really? Wow. Our cats have to ask to go out. And say please. Good luck child proofing the garage. The only way we could do that is to burn the dang thing down. :)

Unknown said...

Heh, aren't kids FUN?! Punkin hid under the crib about a month ago, then, popped out, grabbed my ankle and scared me to death.

Yeah, kids are fun. ;)

Effie said...

but you found him and the dust bunnies hadn't attacked him yet....
that's a good thing!

Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Dude, you MUST have very large cats. Whoa.

WELCOME BACK!!!! We missed you.

c said...

Holy crap, you DO have large cats. We have just a medium (or maybe even small) sized cat door, and the only child part to go through that was Sophie's head when she was 2. Yeah, I laughed. A lot. Poor thing!

And I've done the manual poop extraction, too. It's exhausting for both involved parties.

eclectic said...

Welcome back! Isn't it good to know that life really IS as crazy as you remembered?!

Tallyflute said...

you could get a magnetic cat door that only opens when the cat approaches. there is a special collar that they wear that opens it.

Spirtswoosh said...

Just wait til he still thinks he can fit through the catdoor but has grown so that he only fits halfway.

Kari said...

LOL what did your baby sitter think of your dusty son? LOL you should have told her something like "he's been under there while we were gone. I guess the house can get pretty dusty when we're not here. Next time we'll just leave him in the crib." LOL crazy since of humor I guess. Sorry for your embarassment.

Jewl said...

Yeah, I would never have to look under the bed for Em, she hates getting dirty... maybe the bathtub though...
Welcome back