Monday, April 26, 2010

Shadow

Wikipedia defines a shadow as an area where direct light from a light source cannot reach due to obstruction by an object. In our house, most times, that obstruction is Maxfield, and Wyatt, the little brother, is in the shadow.

Wyatt is at the awkward age where he is tyring his best to fit in with his older brother and older brother's friends but also is the biggest pain in the ass to those he is trying to fit in with. He is the third wheel. He follows them around going where they go. He tries doing what they do. Sometimes he frustrates the older boys. Uusually he becomes their shadow quietly playing near or around the older boys.

Lately, Maxfield has been getting a lot of invites to go over to his friend's houses. Lauren and I always feel bad for Wyatt because he gets left out. We have been trying to get Wyatt some of his own friends but with Max's Little League, Max's school schedule, Max's play dates and Jackson's sleep/nap schedule it has been somewhat difficult. You see there? That last sentence, not once did I mention Wyatt's schedule. You see, Wyatt is in the shadows.

I can't help but feel bad for him sometimes. He gets so sad when he is not invited.

Now that Max has been going out more often I have had the opportunity to hang out with just Wyatt. He has become my little shadow. He wants to go where I go. He wants to do what I do. Sometimes he gets underfoot, which can be frustrating.




Wikipedia's entry on shadows also had some other notes. This one struck me "It is also believed as an alternative construct that shadows are in fact a representation of God's presence around an object."

How true. How true.

I love my little shadow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------James from Luke I am your Father is the last winner from the GoodNites Bedtime Theater Contest. James please email me with your contact information so I can send you your prize pack.

Please go to GoodNites Bedtime Theater contest website after May 4th to vote on the winner of Iggy's Next Adventure. I was honored to be part of a group of bloggers that helped pick the 10 finalists. Now Goodnites needs other people like you to vote on the best story.

Disclaimer--I have partnered with GoodNites® Sleep Pants for the Bedtime Theater program. I have been compensated for my time commitment to the program, which includes developing the Iggy’s Next Adventure story, sharing the program information with my readers, tweeting my blog entry and judging the Iggy’s Next Adventure contest entries. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive sentiments towards the GoodNites® products.”

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that 2nd definition of shadow.

Anonymous said...

Let Wyatt play with your man boobs when Max is with his friends.

James (SeattleDad) said...

That was a truely awesome ending to that post. Loved it.

And....I won? Sweet. I will email you my address. Thanks Man!

Melissa said...

my sweet little Wyatt...this hurt my heart reading it...growing pains are hard.

but indeed he is God's presence...so wonderful ending.

Anonymous said...

What do you say to a dinosaur with 4 balls?

Anonymous said...

....do you think he saur us?

boom-boom!

Bogart said...

Why is he wearing that hat? Phili does not equal Pitts...well, maybe in smell, but not in team.

For shame.

PS...how about my first place Padres?!!