Thursday, October 15, 2009

Rules

When I was a kid, the Number One Rule, set down by my dad, in our house was "Don't hit your brother." It was good rule since there were 8 boys in the house (There was never a need for the rule "don't hit your sister" because my parents knew that all of the boys were afraid of my sister). There were other rules (some self explanatory, others were family rules) that were enforced like, "Be home at 5." "Don't talk back to your mother." "No ball in the house." "Quiet time." Etc. Etc. But on the list of rules they all fell below the Number One Rule (not that there was an actual written list of rules, all rules in our House were just known) .

We broke the number one rule many times. Most of the physical fights amongst the brothers were of the nature of wrestling or some type of rugby scrum, until someone "gave-up". But every now and then, during one of the altercations, someone, somehow, would break the rule. An errant fist would fly and make contact. All hell would break loose and we all knew that dad was going to be pissed when he found out. It was the Number One Rule.


Now that I am raising boys of my own I realize that I too have to implement a list of rules of the house. Right now, the Number One Rule is "Don't hit your brother." Boys are boys and they like to fight. It is a good rule. I think it gets broken everyday.

Here is the list of other rules we set down.

2.-Everyone must wear pants to eat dinner at the dinner table.

3.-No picking your butt.

4.-Everyone must wear pants to eat lunch at the table.

5.-Use a tissue

6.-No jumping on the furniture.

7.-Put your shoes in the closet.

8.- Everyone must wear pants to eat breakfast at the table.

9.-Lillian can not use the telephone.

10.-No throwing toys.

After reviewing my list I think I need to re-evaluate my Number One Rule.

What is your Number One Rule at your house?

31 comments:

Effie said...

who's Lillian?

"Don't hit (or sit on) your sister" is the main rule in our household so far...when the boy arrives, the sister part will change to "sibling"

Bogart said...

Rule #1: Do not stick your finger in Bogart's ear.

I am guessing that rule would work in either of our homes.

SciFi Dad said...

Rule #1: Don't Breastfeed.

Susie said...

I just told you! Hold hands in a parking lot.

Charlotte in Pa said...

Mine #1 rule when dealing with kids is "When your good time starts to ruin someone else's good time... you need to stop what you're doing." It applies in many situations and is especially helpful when going to a public place like a museum or mall.

eclectic said...

Don't ever let anyone pee between your legs.

;)

Michelle said...

Rule #1: listen to your mother

Sheri said...

As a mom of 2 boys and a girl (yes, the boys are afraid of the girl), I think the hardest thing for me to learn is that boys solve things differently than girls.

The number one rule in our house - FLUSH WHEN FINISHED. I'm not even kidding. Oldest thinks it's funny to take a dump and leave it for the next person.

Anonymous said...

EVERYONE WEAR PANTS TO BED.

Melissa said...

Bill...how many times does Lauren have to tell you to put your pants on at the table????

SoMo said...

Number One rule: Don't make mom crazy. Oh no, I am not kidding.

And DUCK for that flying shoe!!! In the mood for a little Eddie Murphy and not the new cleaner version. LOL!!!

Mindy said...

These are the rules that I grew up with and then my husband has adopted them as well.

Rule #1: Dad is always right
Rule #2: When in doubt refer to rule #1.

I laugh at that everytime I hear either my father or husband say it:)

Steve said...

Flush...no matter how cool it looks.

Anonymous said...

Keep your elbow's in

DGB said...

Rule #1: When you poop, always flush the toilet...even if it's in the middle of the night.

Rule #2: Do not touch the cats' anus.

Rule #3: If you happen to break rule #2, DO NOT stick your fingers in your nose.

Melinda said...

Turn the TV channel if East Enders is on. Simples.

But the wearing of pants while at the table, and perhaps even going out the door, is a good rule too.

Anonymous said...

THe Viper says if you see it naked you can hit it!

Susie said...

Charlotte's good time is ruining my good time.

sari said...

there's no official rule but it would probably have something to do with not walking naked outside...in the front yard, anyway.

I think all my neighbors have seen all my kids peeing out in the front yard.

James (SeattleDad) said...

You could mix and match. Like 'No hitting your brother while picking your butt'.

Unknown said...

I am a big no standing on the furniture and no shoes on furniture person. I can't help it. I inhereted it from my mom.

eclectic said...

Susie's being mean to Charlotte!

(Don't worry about me, go take care of Susie and Charlotte's fight. I'll just be over here eating dinner with my shirt off while jumping on the couch and having a good time which is NOT ruining anyone else's.)

melissa said...

don't touch your sister.

it's broken every day, but its a guideline so she can try to abide by it..and she's not surprised when she gets in trouble for it.

Anonymous said...

#1 rule is "don't play with your poop. It stays in your diaper until mama or daddy get rid of it."

Anonymous said...

THe number one rule in our house was "Don't tell William he is gay"

BKP said...

I have rules posted on our fridge... which is pointless because they are covered up by other things right now... which no one looks at, and the boys can't read yet, so I have no idea why I thought this would be effective. Anyway, I've peered over to see what I made as the #1 rule and it is (drum roll) "1. No running in house."

How lame is that?

Four others follow (no fighting is the "last but not least" #5).

And yes, we ALL run in the house. Every day.
My Thing Two had a bloody nose from running into the couch last night to prove it. But at least he didn't jump on the furniture. And no I didn't get pictures.

Ali said...

we have a REALLY hard time with the pants at the table thing. I cannot get Isabella to put pants on. EVER.

Annalisa said...

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all...

Anonymous said...

My mom's number one rule was "If you don't have something nice to say, keep your big fat mouth shut".

Unknown said...

#1 Rule for my son growing up: "Don't tie anyone up with that rope.
#2 Rule Only point your play gun at trees, not each other.
#3 Rule Put down the lid or you'll never have a wife. (His wife as of next Friday doesn't put down the lid)
#4 Rule Don't tie your sister up with that rope.
#5 Rule Give me that rope. You're not allowed to play with it unless I'm right there. Love Ya W

JP said...

#1: Never go to bed angry...