Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Well Wishes

As I stood and watched my son playing at the indoor play area at the mall I started to well up. He was having a good time running and jumping amongst other kids who were strangers. But, what got me was the fact that he was not interacting with the other kids. Every time he made an effort to join in, the other kids shunned him. Each time he approached the steps to the slide he would let the older kids edge their way past him and he would miss his turn. I watched as he chased some of the kids closer to his age, only to have them run away, not in the effort to encourage the chase, but more so to get away from him until he gave up. I know he is only two and half and he is at an awkward stage where the lack of the ability to communicate properly gets in his way, but it would be nice to see him make friends. Or more accurately it would be nice to see other children want to befriend him. He was not assertive, which I guess is okay.

Every so often he would look to where I was standing to make sure I could see how high he was jumping. To make sure I caught the summersault he just performed. He would see me smile and he would smile back and run off to do another stunt to impress me. He jumped from the top step of the hollow tree and he took a decent spill. He lay motionless for a few seconds; stunned but not hurt, until he heard me say from across the way, “Brush it off.” He smiled as he sprung up brushing off his hands as if he meant to take the spill and ran off to do it again. It was then that the lump appeared in my throat.

I realized, at this point in his life I am my son’s best friend. He didn’t care that the other kids were not playing with him. He only cared that I was playing with him (even though it was from the sidelines, because if I were to run and jump with him the mall security guards would cart me off). I was overcome with the emotion of the fact that I mean everything to this kid.

I walked over to him and suggested we go throw coins into the fountain. We took the 26 pennies I had in my pocket and made a wish with each one. We wished for good health for his four grandparents. We made wishes for his brother and his mom that they will always be happy. We wished that the dog and two cats would never be hungry. We wished for healing of friends, Horace and Susie who are sick. We wished for nice visits with family and friends. I took the last three coins and made three wishes. A wish that my son would eventually know that he means everything to me. A wish that he will have lots of friends. And the third wish was for chocolate covered pretzels.

We then walked to the candy stand and I bought some chocolate covered pretzels just so my son and maybe myself would know that some wishes come true.

36 comments:

WILLIAM said...

Max does have friends. He has plenty in our neighborhood and they all seem to enjoy playing with Max. So it is not like he does not have friends.

Also Yes Mike Kevin and John I know I can be a pussy.

Charlotte in Pa said...

Wow. This one really got to me. Can you please go back to stories of the kid hurting himself on purpose? Thank you. You're a great writer - thanks for sharing your talent!

Sharpie said...

Very sweet, William. I have been on the playground myself, only to watch my kids be shunned. It is heart breaking. And you will be his best friend until his little brother takes your place. Trust me.

Teri said...

I second Sharpie, very sweet. he's young yet, he'll get more friends. you have to cherish those father/son times as much as possible and it's great that you are his hero and playmate.

Kami said...

Great post, William. Kids run from mine, too, but because he's acting like a freaky 4-yr-old, and he's always after the older kids. :) You are his best buddy, and you will be until he can start beating up on the baby!

Andrea said...

It really is just his age. He will absolutely figure out how to make new friends as he gets older and can communicate better. But it's so sweet that you are everything to him right now! Enjoy it while it lasts :)

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Ahh you are not a pussy just a great caring dad!

Max and Wyatt are so lucky to have such a fabulous dad!

sari said...

I don't think there's anything better to wish for.

You're a very funny guy but the reason I like reading your blog is because you're just a good guy, and this is a perfect example of it.

Thanks for this!

Anonymous said...

I agree with what William said in the first comment.

Anonymous said...

great post!

Effie said...

you made tears come to my eyes with this post! So sweet!

Anonymous said...

Aaaaw... dude, you are SUCH a wuss.

Brian said...

Solid entry.

ladybug said...

god william,
way to make a girl CRY! thanks for sharing this story... and i am going to thank you for being such a good dad. you know so many parents get fussed at for what others think isnt the right thing to do - whatever it is - and so few actually get acknowledged when they do something important.

like being your son's best friend now. he wont ever forget it... and there will come a time, when he needs that memory, and your days of penny wishes and chocolate covered pretzels will carry him thru.

i might have to blog about this myself......[but only after the big test i am taking tonight]

thank you for sharing this with us, william... and for being a wonderful dad and loving your boys so much!

ladybug

The Q said...

Awww, you're making my eyeballs leak water.

I don't expect this from you.

Mike, Kevin and John better BACK OFF or they are going to have quite a few William fans on them ;-)

ieatcrayonz said...

If William's the pussy, then why am I crying?

I know what you mean about this age. I love being her everything, but I'm really trying to enjoy her needing me right now because before I know it, she won't.

kittenpie said...

Oh, that's beautiful. I love your funny posts, but the occasional sap is nice too. And I'm not really a sappy sort.

Susie said...

Oh, William. Yep, his best friend, and President-for-Life of his fan club. I hope all of Maxfield's wishes come true, too.
I remember when LG was that age, and the other kids were mean to her in the McDonald's playland. I wanted to kill the little bastards. Did I say that out loud?

cwheat said...

Long time reader, first comment.

My first child is due in 4 weeks from today, and though reality has begun to sink in; I know that I truly have no idea of the journey my wife and I are about to begin together.

Your entry today only hightens the joy and happiness I have right now. To be a father to a little boy is something I have always wanted to do, and soon that dream will be a reality.

Also, good choice on the pretzels but I would have gone with an ice cream cone.

Keep on Keepin' on - Bob Dylan

kimmyk said...

Man...I remember these days with my son and his dad.

Our son is now 14 there are times I wish it was just him and us again.

Enjoy these moments while you can....

Anonymous said...

very sweet. nice one, william.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Stunning post, William.

Bente said...

What gets to me is how trusting Elli will be of the older kids and them knowing this and taking advantage. One time at Kidz City Elli was on a jumping castle and she fell over so an older kid held her hand out to help Elli up only to push her down again. In Susie's words: I wanted to kill the little bastard. :)

eclectic said...

Well-written, William. This knocked my socks off, truly. And I'm just sooooo, sooooo glad you wished for the pretzels. Brillian!

Anonymous said...

William,

Imagine how much Maxfield will swell up with tears when he has the same realization....
That you are his best friend.

Anonymous said...

If your mission was to make me cry, you succeeded.
I have also sat and watched, heartbroken, as my kids have been shunned by others. I've also had the same realization that it matters not to them... the only thing that matters in their world is me. *sigh* And all that matters to me is them.

Anonymous said...

My one of many wishes for you was that you would be able to love and be loved. You have achieved both! I am crying happy tears! You are so gifted! I am proud of you and yours! Thank you for your wishes for us. I love you!

Character Builder said...

I know exactly what you mean. I remember when my son was about 2 or 3 years old, we went to a wedding dance. There were some little girls out on the dance floor holding hands and dancing together, having a blast. Alex walked up to them and just stood there and watched, and wanted so badly to join them, but they didn't even notice him. They weren't being mean, they were just having so much fun, they didn't even realize he was there. It completely broke my heart. I can still picture the little smile on his face as he watched them dancing, wishing he would be invited to join him.

Even now that he's 10 years old, it still occasionally happens. Breaks my heart all over again.

Beezaleez said...

That brought tears to my eyes.

You remind me alot of my Fiance, I hope he's just like you as a father! And I hope my children are as cute as your one son sounds!!
I also hope you don't mind me reading along...you crack me up!
~Beeze

Nilbo said...

Ahhh. Lovely, William. Just lovely. But Cat is right.

Anonymous said...

You're lucky Pa doesn't live in the same state as you. Then Pa would be his best friend.

Sassy said...

Awwww what a sweet post! Lemme tell ya, if my daughter saw your son (she's 6), she would totally play with him...she loves babies and toddlers! LOL!

Rob said...

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Ok, this hardly ever happens to me, and it may be because I'm pregnant, but your post made me cry. I mean, literally, tears are rolling down my cheeks.

That was a beautiful post.

Unknown said...

DOH! You so totally made me cry.

Susie said...

I've been here reading a while, and smiling a lot. Finishing up by reading the comments here. And I gotta say, you didn't make me cry, but yo mama sure did.