Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Ice Ice Baby

We were sitting at the dinner table in the kitchen when Maxfield heard the icemaker drop a tray of ice. Maxfield loves ice. He loves playing with it and he loves eating it and he loves making a a mess with it.

"Iise Mom-Mee, Iise?"

"No Max. Eat your dinner."

"Iise Dad-Dee, Iise?"

"No Maxfield. No ice."

After realizing that he could not play Lauren and I against each other he tried a different approach. He looked over his entire body, searching. He settled on his knee which was unmarked and pointed at it.

"Boo boo? Boo boo. Iise." Max said.

Lauren laughed, "You don't have a boo boo. Let's eat."

Max got louder. "Boo boo IISE!"

"Maxfield, you do not have a boo boo." I said. "We are not getting you ice."

"Boo boo?" He said in almost a whimper.

Lauren shook her head. "No Boo Boo."

Maxfield looked at Lauren, looked at me and then back to Lauren. You could see something click in his head. He bent his arm out in front of him so his hand was touching his shoulder. He raised his elbow above his head and slammed it against the table. Hard. He winced and then pointed to elbow and said, "Boo Boo!"

Lauren and I practically fell out of our chairs laughing. Of course I got him ice. Not for his boo boo, but for his ingenuity.

21 comments:

Teri said...

that kid is BRILLIANT!

Keri said...

What a little genius! While it may be funny now, it may not be later. You and Lauren just may have your hands full with this one. ;)

Carolyn said...

My little guy will do the same thing for a Band-Aid, either to himself or to an unsuspecting stuffed animal. VERY ingenoius, these toddlers.

Meegs said...

Dear God that is determination. I can't wait until he is a teenager... oh the fun he will have with you then.

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, I saw it coming, I did! I swear! but still!

I love your kid.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story.

Cas
he got you!

Anonymous said...

awesome kid.

my word verification word right now is "insidr." i kid you not. i'm a spy, i tell ya.

Unknown said...

Oh wow... that is great deductive reasoning there!

Anonymous said...

Gotta love a kid who knows how to work the system! Hope he doesn't hurt himself in his quest for more ice. I can just picture him running into a wall headfirst, just so you'll give him total access to the ice maker!

Effie said...

you two are in for a HEAP of trouble with that smart little feller!

Sharpie said...

You my friend are in SERIOUS trouble if he's figuring this stuff out now..... Expect MANY calls from the school....

Anonymous said...

Classic. It's amazing how when they don't get their way, they can think quickly to figure our how to get what they want.

The above posters are right. You are in trouble!

HH

eclectic said...

Wait till he decides Wyatt has a boo-boo, or needs one. That'll be fun...! God, he's so cute!!

Andrea said...

Oh, boy, you'd better watch out! His schemes will get sneakier and sneakier :)

Anonymous said...

I think that is how the guys from the movie Jackass got started.

Anonymous said...

Both funny and a little frightening!

Anonymous said...

Just wait until Max gives himself a few more bruises, for ice, and someone thinks he looks suspicious. I can hear you now..."No, he did that to himself. I swear. He hit himself against the table, repeatedly. No, really. See, the kid loves ice."

Anonymous said...

Watch him at the playground. Ihear there is a guy in a trench coat. " Hey little boy. Want some Ice?"

kittenpie said...

That is like when Pumpkinpie used to smack me so she could give me a hug better. Could NOT convince her that she really could just give me a hug!

Melanie said...

That is one smart boy! So funny. I love the stuff they do.

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

You are in so much trouble with that one!