Monday, March 27, 2006

Left me hanging

Each morning, Lauren and I usually sit down and have coffee together from 7:00 until about 7:25. Max is in the living room watching Dora the Explorer. The older episodes of Dora, she and boots march or run to their next destination chanting where they need to go. “Jungle, Bridge, tall mountain. Jungle, bridge, tall mountain.” I have to get up three times during coffee to go into the living room and march in circles with Max.

At the end of every episode of Dora the Explorer, Dora and Boots the monkey sing the “We did it” song. They sing and dance and explain how they figured everything out. It is at this point in the show that I have to leave for work. I finish my coffee, go into the living room and dance the “We Did Dance” with Maxfield say my goodbyes and head out the door.

This morning, I walked into the living room with my “We Did It” dance groove going on, ready to prance around the living room, when I noticed Max quietly playing in the corner with his trains. I, of course, dance by myself. Max was not interested. He left me hanging.

I am not sure which is worse/more sad...
1. That I use the end of Dora as the time that I am supposed to leave for work.
2. That Max may be outgrowing the whole dance routine.
3. Or that I continued to dance by myself.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

All of the above make you a great daddy!
There is almost nothing more fun than dancing with your kids.

You and Lauren are very blessed.

Anonymous said...

Bill,

None of these are bad. What is bad however: is when you sing and dance to the "We did It" song after doing it. That is a sign of infrequent activity.

Anonymous said...

You may be a dancing fool, Bill, but you're my kind of dancing fool!

Anonymous said...

omg..hilarious - I have sooooo done this myself - my son is all done with something and I persist - I love the Dora "We Did It" song and will sing it to myself if no one is listening - I also am a big fan of the Backyardigans and I swear when my son says "all done Backyardigans" I am a little crushed, momentarily...

Lois Lane said...

Lil' Homey dissed you! Hahaha! I'm glad he is outgrowing Dora. Maybe it's time you did too? ;)
Maybe Lauren would be kind enough to get the video camera rolling for the next Dora morning? (hint hint)
Lois Lane

eclectic said...

Just wait till you're dropping him off at school and he doesn't want to say goodbye where everyone can see you. Yeah, that's fun.

Unknown said...

None of the above, Bill...

Nature Girl said...

yeah, that's a toss up! I am fluctuating between 1 & 3...Max after all was bound to loose interest sooner or later...
;) Stacie

Nature Girl said...

but then what do I know, I still sing "we just figured out Blue's Clues" every time I figure out how to do something...or "We just got a letter" everytime the mail comes...and my boys haven't watched Blues in quite some time, my youngest will be 14 in 2 weeks..Stacie

kimmyk said...

I think you're good to go as long as you don't get up after sexin' up Lauren and do the "WE DID IT" dance. Ya feel me?

Kari said...

Maybe he just lost his groove.

Hope it comes back tomorrow!

Lowa said...

I am a lame mother. I never did that dance with my kids, but still can't get the songs out of my head.

Dora and Boots ROCK!

I think the most sad is #2. However, as someone said, maybe he just didn't feel like it today.

Susie said...

#2 is a little sad. #s 1 and 3 are just cute :)

Michelle said...

Don't think of it as dancing alone to Dora, think of it as your exercise regimen. That way you don't have to feel like such a goofball. I used to "exercise" to the Wiggles on occasion. Max is probably just bored with the monotony of Dora. After a while he'll go back to it. It's like a drug.

Anonymous said...

Great story:-)) I wouldn't be worried about him playing with trains instead of the movie. We go through sinmilar experiences ourselves. I must admit that I would pay a decent amount of money to see you dance by yourself. Is there a video clip available??? :-)
Perhaps I shouldn't be talking since I'be been known to do the "Jungle Patrol" dance routine from the Jungle Book plenty of times. Even alone. It's not pretty...

Ad

Anonymous said...

Hilarious.

Wait until the day he's waiting for the bus, and its raining and you decide to go help your poor baby by bringing out an umbrella and have every intention of staying there braving the weather together and he slips away from you with that disgusted look like - why Doesn't he go in the house and LEave ME Alone?
Or maybe that's just me....lol.

Anonymous said...

I think I remember you doing the New Zoo Review dance.? Or was it Zoom Zoom Zooma Zoom ....

Ern said...

I think that #2 is definitely the saddest. But #3 is funniest.

Unknown said...

That's so awesome.

Suzy-Q said...

Dancing to kid songs keeps you young and makes you smile.

Keep dancing!