Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Territory

If you have pets and plan to bring home a new pet or a baby, Veterinarians will tell you to bring home a blanket or article of clothing with the new pet or baby’s scent on it for the animals to smell. This will get them acclimated to the new scents that will be invading their territory.

For the most part Max has been excellent with Wyatt’s presence in our house. We made every effort to assure Max that we still love him and that Wyatt should not be a threat to him.

Over the past two months, however, Max has become somewhat territorial. For instance, I am Max’s daddy, not Wyatt’s. I am not allowed to hold Wyatt. Only Mommy can hold Wyatt. If I am playing with Wyatt, Max will make a point to get in between us. Wyatt cannot watch TV. Only Max can.

Now that Wyatt is more active and actually has the ability to grab teethers and toys Max has started to declare what toys are Max’s and what ones are Wyatt’s. For the record they all belong to Max, because he says so.

I am thinking that before we brought Wyatt home, I should have had Maxfield sniffing his onesies because maybe he would not be so territorial.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maxfield knows Where the Wild Things Are ! He should get himself a boat and sail away.

Teri said...

yea, that might have been a good idea to have Max sniff something of Wyatt's. Hopefully the rivalry will calm down a little.

what happens if you both hold the baby at the same time, does that work?

Unknown said...

Hee hee...

It'll be ok... it just takes time.

Anonymous said...

At least it would've made for some good pictures...

Anonymous said...

hate to tell you this....but it gets worse..at least it did between my two daughters...when my 2nd was two weeks old, my first one demanded that we take her back to the doctor cause she was tired of her.

Kami said...

Uh oh!

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Yeah my nephew was really good at first and now that his little sister is one he is constantly telling her no to get away from him. Good times at their house! It got worse when she was mobile and she knows she annoys him so she keeps doing it.

Dont worry soon enough Wyatt will be annoying Max on purpose!

Jewl said...

He'll like Wyatt better once he is up and about and can blame him on everything...

Lois Lane said...

As long as Max doesn't pee on his brother, everything else will come out in the wash, so to speak. :D

Anonymous said...

I have to say, the picture of you shoving onesies in Maxfield's face is extraordinarily amusing. I giggle in your general direction.

As for the share thing? Yeah, that'll never change. Never. They will argue about what is Max's and what is Wyatt's and say things like, "I told you, that is my own personal toothpaste!' and "by God if you touch my stuff one more time there will be a THROW DOWN!"

Just so you know.

Effie said...

so YOU are Max's territory and Lauren is Wyatt's territory then? Interesting....

Anonymous said...

Wait, I'm confused. Is Max or Wyatt a dog?

Platypus said...

Hang in there, Dad! I've only got one of my own but as one of three we must have got that at some stage so in a few years everything should be fine! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hopefully when they're in their 30's, they'll be best friends! Cause it sure ain't gonna be before that!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, just beware of him unzipping his pants around him. Max just might leave his scent on Wyatt. EW!

eclectic said...

It's a miracle that younger siblings ever survive to adulthood. *sigh* But they do, and it will be fine eventually. Just be consistent in your expectations of what Max can and cannot define as his own. Well that, and give Max some onesies to sniff.

Just Jan said...

It's a normal growing phase that takes time getting through but the good news is...you'll all get through it with flying colors. Just stand bak and watch when they get a little older and Max becomes Wyatt's protector...you'll wonder why you worried about the territoy thing.

Anonymous said...

It could be worse. The day my mom brought me home from the hospital, she put me in the bassinet with a stool next to it so my brother (22 months) could see me. My mom turned around to unpack her suitcase & then I started screaming. When she looked in at me, there was a perfect little handprint on my cheek. The rivalry started from there & only diminished once we both lived in separate houses! So good luck!