Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Rotisserie

The following a re-run story from a couple of years ago. I tweaked it a bit.


My mom hosts, on average, about 35 people a year for Thanksgiving. Nine kids, plus spouses, plus 22 or so grand kids, it is a lot of people. Each family brings a dish of some sort but my mom does the cooking of the turkey and the stuffing.

A few years back she started to cook more than one bird for the dinner. Since the larger turkey took up all the space in her main oven she bought a medium sized rotisserie oven to cook a smaller, second turkey.

A few years ago the rotisserie oven broke. A couple of weeks prior to Thanksgiving my mom was giving the (now old) rotisserie oven a test run to make sure it was ready. Well, she found out that the mechanism that turned the fowl (or maybe it was the fetzer valve or the by-pass line, I am not sure) as not working properly. She asked my dad to take a look at it to see if he could fix it. She did not want to have to spend the money to buy a new oven. She left the oven on a table in the laundry room/back office so my dad could tinker with it.

My dad traveled a bit a with his job but he would go in and out of his office almost everyday. Every night for three weeks my mom would ask my dad if he fixed the rotisserie. Every night my dad would say he did not get around to it. My mom explained that rotisseries were expensive and if she had to, she would get a new one. My dad would then tell her that he would fix it and not to waste the time or money.

The rotisserie just sat on the table.

The Tuesday before Thanksgiving my dad came home early from work and saw the rotisserie sitting on the table. With only 48 hours left until Thanksgiving he grabbed a screw driver and decided to take the oven apart. Later that evening, when my mom and dad were talking he told her that he disassembled the oven but could not see anything wrong with it. He also told her that the he was having a hard time putting the pieces back together. My mom freaked out.

The day prior, that Monday, my mom went out and bought a new rotisserie oven and threw the old one away.

My dad took apart a brand new oven.


_____________________________________

My favorite Thanksgiving post is up over at What was I Thinking.

7 comments:

Susie said...

Love this story :) And thank you for the linkage.

SciFi Dad said...

That was awesome. Pure awesome.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Oh. No.

It's not Thanksgiving without Susie's Turkey post!

eclectic said...

Ugh. That made my stomach hurt. Poor Mom-O-Nine!

Happy Thanksgiving, Poop & Boogies!!

Anonymous said...

What a great laugh of a memory he left us for Thanksgiving. He left us a lot of laughs. This is up there close to number one. I miss him, and that hurts. But right after the tears come the smiles. I'm so glad he can still make me laugh. He was fun and still is! Happy Thanksgiving to all! Thank you,Skip!

JP said...

And so the American Sitcomm was born... You just cannot make that stuff up!

Bogart said...

Seriously...that is right out of Home Improvement or I Love Lucy.