Monday, November 09, 2009

Dodgeball

My buddy Dan told his wife the only thing he wanted for his 40th birthday was a dodgeball party with his family and friends. She made all the arrangements and a few weeks ago I received an invitation. I have known Dan for about 25 years. Over those years I have spent many parties with Dan drinking and acting up only to wake up feeling awful and in pain from the previous nights shenanigans. I promptly RSVPed "yes" because it seemed like a good idea. I did not want to miss out on the fun.

This past Saturday was the party. Dan was surprised. About 20 people showed up to play Cosmic Dodgeball at the Sports Zone . The staff at the Sports Zone are used to hosting these types of parties for kids and they did their best to treat every one of us there as a kid.

Five minutes into dodgeball the game became more like meander-away ball. And after another 5 minutes I was playing more like malinger ball. And after another five minutes I was playing hide-behind-my-friends-and-pussyfoot-ball, as you can see in the video. Dodgeball lasted an hour and afterwards we all gathered in the one of the little party rooms for pizza, soda and cake.

I had a blast at Dan's party and, as it was when we were younger, I woke up the next morning feeling awful and in pain.

14 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

Honestly, that sounds and looks like one of the best ideas for a birthday party I've seen in a while.

Anonymous said...

I heard as a handicap you got to be hit 3 times before you were out.

for a different kind of girl said...

You have the spirit of a champion. I would totally want to go to a party like that, but I'd probably have to serve in more of a cheerleader capacity.

StarvingBitch said...

That one guy who wound up to throw the ball..he was beyond serious...I wouldn't want to be in his sight lines.

Anonymous said...

I watched this live on "The Ocho".

SoMo said...

I think that is the best thing I have ever heard. I want one. I miss dodge ball and why can't we be kids once in awhile?

James said...

This will definitely be on my list of birthday party options.

ilaughatothers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ilaughatothers said...

Now that looks like a good time!

At what age do we have to stop having fun? I want a birthday party playing lazer tag, bowling, goofy golf, or playing dodge ball.

When did my birthday party start to consist of husbands and wives, sitting around asking, "who is watching your kids?

Getting old sucks.

Anonymous said...

Look like a ton of fun. I'm about to turn 30. Maybe that's what I'll tell my wife I want

DGB said...

It's crazy fun to play kid games as an adult. I met my wife during an adult kickball game. The strategy totally changes when you're older.

darngooddigs said...

It's four days later and I'm still in pain. That's always the sign of a good party.

JP said...

Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge...

sari said...

I want to do this for my next birthday!

(I'll be 44!)