Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Caregiver

The other night Max woke up about 1AM calling out for me. When I entered his room I was met with him crying that there were pirates in his bed. I stayed with him for a few minutes, fought off the pirates, and he went back to sleep.

Sunday night, around midnight, Max called out for me again. When I entered his room I was met with him crying and with undigested bits of potato and corn covering his blankets. Lauren and I cleaned up the bed and Max and brought him into our bed. We grabbed an empty waste paper basket and I explained to Max if he felt like he was going to have throw-up he just needs to say “Bucket Daddy” and I would grab it and give it to him.

I heard “Bucket Daddy” about three times over the next two hours. At some point Lauren started to feel ill as well. I could tell it was going to be a long night. “Bucket Daddy” was heard another 5 times through out the night. Max and I eventually ended up on the couch where we stayed until late in the morning. Max never felt feverish and besides the vomiting was acting very normal.

After 5 hours without “Bucket Daddy” I decided I would give him some lunch. Lauren suggested the B.R.A.T. diet, which I could have sworn meant Burgers, Ring-Dings, Alcohol and Tobacco, but she told me it was Banana’s, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. Max ate his saltines, applesauce and ginger ale without incident and did not vomit the rest of the day. For dinner he had the same and he seemed to be doing great.

In the evening we prepared for bed and went through the normal routine. Part of the normal routine is that he gets a cup of milk, which I gave him.

(It's at this point in the story that all of the mothers and some educated fathers that read this will roll their eyes and shake their heads in disbelief at the fact that I gave him milk.)

“You gave him Milk?” Lauren asked.

“Yeah. He ate and kept down everything all day. He’ll be fine.”

“I don’t know about that.” Lauren said.

10 minutes later “Bucket Daddy.” was heard. Up came the milk and the applesauce and the rice that was dinner.

Mothers definitely know best.

26 comments:

Unknown said...

Aaaah, the old BRAT diet. Brings back painful smelly memories of toddlers puking their guts up unexpectedly.

Hey, good job using a "bucket." My son said he had to throw up and my husband brought him a cereal bowl. Like thats going to hold anything?

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

I dont have kids and I know never give them milk when they are on the brat diet!

Milk coming up is so nasty! Poor little guy!

Annie said...

Glad everyone's feeling better!

SciFi Dad said...

Not so much eye rolling as "Oh, this isn't going to end well for him," actually.

My daughter used to be (knock on wood) a real puker... every time she got upset in bed, she would cry and eventually vomit. We had to adjust many routines (one of which was the post-bath, pre-toothbrushing milk) but we seem to have figured it out (again, knock on wood). Not that this is exactly like your situation... just sharing (because, you know, everyone likes a good toddler vomit story).

Losing my Mind said...

yup my eyes rolled and I actually said out loud 'oh no!'- i feel like such a loser now. Hope th ekid feels better!

kimmyk said...

I hope he's feeling better and Lauren didn't get sick[er].

Stay healthy over there!

Unknown said...

The other night Max woke up about 1AM calling out for me. When I entered his room...

Dude. I just can't get past this first sentence.

*turns and addresses Hubby*

"See! Some guys DO get up in the middle of the night with their kids!"

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet..."

Anonymous said...

My husband recently had a similar "bucket Daddy" night with Liam. Times like those I know I married the right guy, I'm sure Lauren felt the same way.

Hope you don't call out for the bucket a week later like Liam's daddy did. And that Lauren didn't get it.

Anonymous said...

Ummm.. not that she didn't get the bucket for you, but rather that she didn't NEED it.

Whatever, it's late and I'm pregnant.

Michelle said...

that's why there's no M in the BRAT diet. Having been thru the same stomach issue for all 3 of mine just last week - I can say (with some authority here) that there is also no C - as in for Cookie - in the BRAT diet either.

Jake Silver said...

I will have to remember that.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I cringed when I saw the word milk. Nothing worse than upchucked milk. Hope he's feeling better soon. We just got over the flu here, which ended in one of our daughters getting a new mattress for her bed. You know it's been bad when you have to go to the furniture store after they feel better.

ThePapaDog said...

Thats like giving OJ another wife.

Hey, you'll take the puking. Being with those pirates the night before, he could have picked up scurvy...

Lowa said...

Yes, we know best. And yes, I was shocked that you gave him milk and did not know better.

BUT! I am incredibly impressed at how devoted and involved you are with your kids and I am sure Lauren knows how good she has it. We have four kids and it is just recently that my husband of 17 years has discovered that I may need help here and there. I could have really used it when the kids were Max and Wyatt's ages, but I guess better late than never, right??

Hope Max feels better soon and that none of the rest of you get sick!

Stepping Over the Junk said...

this happened to me when I was married, but exhusband had given our daughter scrambled eggs AND milk. Imagine. Hope all is well now.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, dude. A big NO to the milk. Peanut & The Champ had this bug last month. Not fun for a week or so. Good luck.

Effie said...

I don't mean to laugh, but I'm definitely laughing....

At least he hits the bucket most times...

Anonymous said...

I remember when "Bucket Bobby" used to be your battle cry.

Charlotte in Pa said...

Are you sure he was saying "BUCKET Daddy?" Maybe he was really fed up with things and was using a rhyming phrase...

Unknown said...

I think it's so sweet that he calls out for you and not Lauren.

eclectic said...

My kids know to always call for dad when they're pukey. I'm a sympathy puker, and if I get there first, I end up joining them, so dad prefers to handle it himself. ;)

Dude, you gave him MILK?!?! HA! Rookie...

Slinger said...

Oh yeah, avoid milk in that situation. Also, if they have a cough and congested, no milk. it makes them worse, and creates more phlegm.

I have had a few of those nights as well, they are no fun.

Kami said...

Oh, William.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Charlotte, you made me laugh so hard I almost puked...

OhTheJoys said...

I return hanging my head. You will not believe...

On the way home from daycare, Rooster projectile spewed all over the back seat of the car.

I think - it's a one-off and feed her dinner.

Then what do you think I did? Oh, yes.

I gave her milk.

Throw up all over my dining room.

Genius. Uh-huh.

kittenpie said...

That's a cool new nickname you have there, Bucket Daddy!