Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Holy Train

Max loves trains. Part of his love for trains comes from Thomas and also from Uncle Fred, a train enthusiast, who has sent him a bunch of videos of trains. There are two types of trains in Max's world. There are "trains", like the old fashion steam locomotive engines and there are "Bus Trains" which are the more modern trains that somewhat resemble a bus.

My dad buys every grandson an electric train set for their first Christmas. The set he got Maxfield was sitting in the box unused for the past three years. This past Christmas Wyatt received his set from Pa (that's what they call their grandfather). Now that Max is old enough to enjoy the trains, this past Christmas, I finally set them up in our garage on a half sheet of plywood.

After Max played with them every day for a few weeks I decided to take them down. We needed the room in the garage. He was not happy. He kept asking for the trains. He loved those trains and was truly saddened by the fact that they were gone. He looked at me like I broke his heart. I couldn't take it any longer and so I took a tip from the Lawnwhisperer's parenting handbook and I lied to him. I told him I had to send the trains to Pa so Pa could play with them and take care of them. Max seemed okay with this. I called my dad to tell him I used him as an excuse and that if Max ever asked my dad about the trains my dad would cover for me. He was on board (no pun intended).

A couple of weeks went by without Max mentioning the trains and I no longer felt guilty about taking his beloved trains away. Then, one night, as I was putting him to bed, we were saying our prayers and I got to the part where we ask God to bless our family members.

"God bless MomMom and PopPop (Lauren's parents) MaMa and Pa (my parents) and..."

Max, who is usually silent and fiddling with his balnkets or something, interupped me. "And God Bless Pa who has my trains. And God Bless my bus trains, and Wyatt's trains which are black and yellow, and bless the tracks and the table and the tunnel."

I couldn't help but laugh and repeat what he said. Now, every night, either saying grace before dinner or at night time prayers we bless his trains.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should find room for the trains and set them up again. Think of the kids, man!

Unknown said...

You just gotta put the trains back up for your boys, William! You just gotta!

(very very cute)

Anonymous said...

that is the saddest thing ever! you should immediately put his beloved trains back up..lol

Unknown said...

Lying to poor Max? Serves you right to listen to him pray for the trains every night.

eclectic said...

Dude, give him back his trains. *sheesh* Please?

ToadyJoe said...

Trains. In the living room. NOW.

*spank spank spank*

And then you tell him that Pa did, indeed, have a good time playing with them, but sent them back for the boys to enjoy.

Anonymous said...

God Bless Lauren's caboose

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Ha trains are an obsession as well here!

Lying to your children who would do such a thing;)

Kami said...

POOR MAX!

Gah! Maybe tiny baby Jesus will bring his trains back.

Joan said...

Trains are a part of childhood. My folks never bought us trains and I still feel deprived even as an adult. Let Max have his trains...it's every child's right.

lawnwhisperer said...

I'm proud of you young Jedi. You have mastered the force, and have used its energy for your own well being and sanity. This is one of the major traits of the Dark Side. Come to the Darkside of parenting Bill, come to the darkside. Together we can lie to our children, and blame others for their sadness. We will rule our households.

jen said...

LOL, LW and anonymous!

ThePapaDog said...

Well, it sounds much better than if Max was playing with Barbie Dolls.

"God Bless, MomMom, PopPop, MaMa and Pa and Barbie, Ken, Kayla, Ricky, Barbie and her Magical Pegasus Stickers, Barbie's Dream Stable and Barbie's Three Story Dream House."

So things could be worse...

Anonymous said...

You need to find some space for the trains. Put away other toys he doesn't think of EVERY DAY enough to pray for.

We have to "thank God for" Diego and Thomas every night.

Effie said...

he's paying attention...and you thought he wasn't...find some space for his trains...poor kid...maybe as a reward for potty train-ing?

Anonymous said...

Attached the track permanently to the plywood. Put hinges on one side of the plywood and attach to the garge wall. Attach two hinged legs on the opposite side of the plywood from the wall hinges. Attach two eyehooks to outside of plywood to hold in place against the wall wnen folded. Keep trains in box along with tunnel. Allow Max to place trains and tunnel when he plays and remove when folded for storage.

Patience said...

***SOB*** Please!!!!! Give that boy his TRAINS!!! I'm on my knees!! If anyone needs trains, it's Max! Pleeeeaaaasssseeeeeeee!!!

[Someday he'll be older. He'll read this. He'll realize you've lied to him. LIED!! Then you'll see!! BwaaHaHaHaHa!!!!!]

Anonymous said...

This is breaking my heart William! You've got to give the kiddo his trains!!

Jim has a great idea, too.

Lynn said...

I remember when my kids were younger, and it seemed that all of their toys took up a lot of room. I couldn't wait to be able to reclaim parts of my house. Then I learned to just buy them small items that don't take up alot of room. Maybe Max could have the actual trains to play with...without the tracks...Just a thought!