Wednesday, February 07, 2007

A Cold

Sunday morning I woke up with a bit of a cold. It's the kind of cold that starts slowly and is not too bad. Just a little achey with a little bit of sniffles, a slight scratch to the throat. No big deal.

Until Monday and I had that ONE sneeze. The sneeze that hurts your entire body. The sneeze that makes you see stars. And it is that sneeze that transforms a little cold to a huge cold. In the middle of that 2 seconds it takes to sneeze that sneeze, your body goes from sniffles to full on snot maufacturing machine. That one sneeze takes you from being okay and breathing fine to totally clogged up and wheezing. Do you know what I am talking about?

Anyway, I knew I was in for a long night Monday. I couldn't breath through my nose so I knew I would get a serious dry throat while I slept, so I put a cup of water on the night stand. I knew I would probably get chills so I wore sweatpants and a sweatshirt to bed. I knew I would have to wake up several times throughout the night to blow my nose, so I put a roll of toilet paper on the nightstand. It was going to be along night and nothing is worse than actually having to get out of bed when you need your sleep.

I woke up several times with the dry throat and I sipped my water and went back to sleep. I woke up other times to rip a piece of TP off the roll, blow my nose,throw the used "tissue" on the floor (to be picked up the next morning) and go back to sleep. I woke up several times to cough, apologize to Lauren for waking her up and then I would go back to sleep. I would say I was up every half an hour.

At one point, around 4 AM, I woke up with a serious dry throat. I reached over and grabbed my cup of water. I took a sip but only a very little bit of water slid down my throat and barely quenched the dryness. I could have sworn I had more water in the cup. I was only taking sips all night so I would not have to get out of bed to fill it back up. I sat up and looked closer at the cup.

Sure enough, stuck in the bottom and the inside of the cup was one of my used "tissues". It sopped up all the water. I gagged.

I just drank some snot. Then I thought about it some more. What if the tissue was in the cup all night? I could have been drinking snot all night.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMAO!

At least it was your own snot you were drinking. But you must be pretty badly off if you didn't notice the taste of snot and tissue in your watter. Hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

That's Nasty!! Serves you right for not throwing the tissues into a trash can (which is easily moved next to your bed)! Feel better soon!

Lois Lane said...

Hahahahaha! Me and my bubbles and you and your snot shots! Classic! You described my entire week and a half of "trying" to sleep. Same glass of water for the dry cracky throat, same roll of toilet paper because buying kleenex is an after-thought, same pile of "used" tissues on the floor, same half hour on the half hour of awakedness. Today there's a phun with phlem thing going on in my throat and chest.
I hope you feel better soon.

Lois Lane said...

By the way, yes, Grandma not only let me listen to her pacemaker every single time she visited, she made me feel it every time too. EWWWWW! Right through her old wrinkly skin, poke, poke, poke. I'm just really thankful her boobs were way saggy by then and I didn't have to go there! :)

Anonymous said...

GROSS!! WILLIAM!!!!
some of your posts need to come with a warning! ROFL

I'm going to go disinfect all over.

Denise B. said...

ah yes, this is when Vick's VapoRub is my best friend.

Stepping Over the Junk said...

I suppose it's kind of like sniffing up your snot and having it run down your throat, just in a different "form". Um. Ew.

Anonymous said...

EW! I had this a couple of weeks ago. A humidifier also helps the dry throat. Feel better!!

Anonymous said...

Kind of puts new meaning into your blog address. Good thing it was boogies and not poop.

-Hillarie

Effie said...

in future, you could put a waste basket beside the bed for the used tissues, to avoid the snot drinking....

eeeeeeeeeeeew!
(but funny!)
Feel better soon!

eclectic said...

Ewwww. I think I'd rather get out of bed, thanks. I've just pulled away from the illness you've described. I finally stopped calling it a cold about the time the doc prescribed antibiotics for what he called "one of the most pervasive sinus infections I've seen in awhile." Great. Always wanted to be an over-achiever... Hope you feel better soon! Oh, and move the trashcan closer so your snot doesn't get all over the carpet.

Just Jan said...

ewwww...I should know better than to read your blog before I sit down to dinner.

Hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

hahhahah

i hope you feel better soon. i just got over a nasty case of sore throat, fever, and laryngitis. Maybe it might help you to feel better if you had something fun to distract you - say like setting up a train set for a little kid (using Jim's directions)? Just a helpful suggestion :~D

i hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

Definitely gross. Although, if you're like me when I have a cold, you've got drainage down your throat and so technically you're drinking snot all night long.

N said...

kalki's right. but still... i'm gagging.

Michelle said...

EWWWWWW....that is just nasty! Obviously that sneeze affected your eyesight or aiming abilities. Don't worry, you'll be well soon enough. It's all the same germs...

Michelle said...

But it's your own snot, so it's ok. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Julie said...

Its all in the same place anyway. just kidding! My nieces have pink eye and everytime I hold the one year old she makes a point of wiping her snot on me.

Patience said...

Ah! Drinking your own snot! Is that what happens when you take your kid's TRAINS AWAY?!??? [jk ;o) ]

Drinking snot won't hurt you. It's not any worse than swallowing the stuff, which you do all the time when you have a cold! Dang! I'm grossing myself out!!]

ThePapaDog said...

That's not bad.

Back in my college days I drank a lot of Mountain Dew. I would always leave partialy full and empty ones on my night table.

One night I was drunk and didn't or couldn't get up to pee. So I pee'd in empty Dew bottle.

Woke up next morning, hungover, wicked dry mouth, forgot that I had pee'd into an empty bottle.

Blindly reached over to grab a drink from the Real Mountain Dew bottle...

You figure the rest out...

Anonymous said...

I have definitely had THAT SNEEZE. Hope you feel better soon, snot drinker.

Kami said...

EWWWWWWWW!!!!!

I once accidentally drank some water that had been drained from a dishwasher that had been disconnected. It was nasty.

Charlotte in Pa said...

For the past 2 days every time I tried to read this post, my computer froze. I think it caught a virus...

FEEL BETTER SOON!

Anonymous said...

Zicam works wonders. It really does work. I felt that same sneeze yesterday and started using Zicam and am feeling better.
Tricia

Dirty Little Secret........... said...

OMG! {gag} The joys of cold season!

Ern said...

Geez, talk about adding insult to injury!

Judypatooote said...

Oh my gosh, I'm singing ackey brakey heart, for you....hope you feel better real soon....hummmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

No different than picking your nose and eating it. Which every little kid does, including you! You won't get sympathy from me. Suffer the cold the way every mom in America does. Suffer in silence. Be Brave! Don't put a blog out there about your COLD! Just looking for your readers to give you a little sympathy and TLC?

Anonymous said...

I am so grossed out right now. Like, just-watched-my-coworker-pick-the-skin-off-her-ear-and-eat-it grossed out.

Thanks, dude. Always a pleasure coming ot your blog. No, really.

*yeechhhh*

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.