Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The truth is out there.

Over the weekend we bumped into our neighbors, Mr. And Mrs. B and their two kids, at the playground. Mr. B works for NASA and is bona fide rocket scientist. He is one of the guys, that when I see him, I am always asking questions about NASA. Usually I just come right out and ask silly questions but this time I tried to trick him into giving me some answers.

We were having a normal neighborly conversation about home renovations, kids and the weather. It was the normal give and take conversation when he mentioned he had to travel a bit with work. And so as part of the casual conversation, I very casually asked “Oh, to Area 51?”

He paused and then said, “I can’t tell you.” And he continued with his conversation.

A few minutes later he was talking about the Shuttle having 5 launches for the year 2007 and that they were working a new style orbiter for 2010. And so, as part of the casual conversation, I very casually asked, as if I were asking about whether his mini-van was a 6 or an 8 cylinder, “How much of the new orbiter will be designed using alien technology?”

He paused and said, “I can’t tell you.” He then continued with the conversation.

The truth is out there. Mr. B just won’t tell me.

24 comments:

ladybug said...

of course he cant tell you.
then he would have to kill you, and then we would be without Poop & Boogies fodder, and would dip into severe depression without your stories and laughs!

thank goodness Mr. B has some sense!!!

kimmyk said...

maybe try a different approach.

have lauren invite his wife over for tea. then corner the wife and put the screws to her and i bet she'll cave.

Michelle said...

Next time try some sodium pentathol. I hear it works well.

Leighton @ My Best Investments said...

Your neighbor is either:
1) Involved in some very serious stuff at a very high level
2) Stuck in a painfully boring job, but with a killer sense of humor

Or some combination of those.

Unknown said...

DUDE, of course he can't tell YOU! You'd blab to everyone. I'll bet you Lauren knows, though...

Creative-Type Dad said...

Ha!

One of my friends father's worked for NASA (real conservative guy) and I would always grill him about that. He always said stuff like "I don't know, and if I did...I would have to make you watch Star Trek".

Andrea said...

So...he finally gets your humor!

Anonymous said...

oooohhhhh, I think he's hiding something........

Stepping Over the Junk said...

you should call him up every day and ask him more questions and see if he ever yells it at you. Or maybe he will let something slip. I'm sorry, but I just cant get past your blog title, I can't stop laughing (and the little story about your dad at the dinner table)

Anonymous said...

Ask him if he ever met the martian from Bugs Bunny or if he has seen the P31 space module.

Kami said...

LMAO at Kimmy.

Jay said...

Yeah, but would he have to kill you if he told you?

Lois Lane said...

Mr. B is a fartknocker. In fact, he is probably an alien. You should beware of Mr. B. Does he look like a Conehead? :P

Effie said...

he's on to you Bill--RUN!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh it's all good fun now but just you wait until your door gets kicked in one night and the Men in Black use the neuraliser on you! It'll be a different story then...

Just Jan said...

Keep working him down...you'll get the answers one of these days.

JP said...

Culpable Deniability... =)

Anonymous said...

You've met your match! I love it!

Anonymous said...

You've met your match! I love it!

sari said...

Actually, Marvin the Martian from Bugs Bunny had an Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Just to, you know, clarify. But you have to say it "mod-u-la-tor".

eclectic said...

Ha! He's probably a martian or something.

Anonymous said...

Ask him where he stores his dylithium crystals.

Nature Girl said...

I like Mr. B...he sounds funny.
Stacie

Anonymous said...

O! M! G!

I'm freaking out here, William! I mean, a rocket scientist with a sense of humor?! [insert Twilight Zone music here]