Thursday, January 11, 2007

Small Victory

I am not a picky eater. I will eat pretty much anything Lauren prepares for dinner. I like when she tries new recipes and I love her old stand-by's that she prepares in a more regular rotation. She uses all types of spices and herbs when she cooks and the food always has a wonderful flavor. However, I always add salt. I love salt.

I will bring my plate to the table and before I even sit down I grab the salt shaker and salt away. I think Lauren finds this insulting as she is the cook, as well as the fact that she is looking out for my health and usually says, "Did you even taste it yet to see if it needs salt?" After hearing this about a hundred times I now try the food first and then salt it. 99% of the time, after I tasted the meal, I salt it.

The other night, I was making my plate over by the stove and as I walked to the table I saw Lauren salting her dinner. I sat down and immediatley reached for the salt. Lauren looked at me and said "Did you even taste it to see if it needs salt?"

"I like my food saltier than you. I just saw you using the salt so I am going to use it."

"If you saw me jumping off a bridge, would you?" She replied.

I thought for a second. "Of course." I said. "So I could save you from drowning."

She was silent. I took a few bites of my food and then got up from the table.

"Where are you going?" Lauren asked.

"To get my blackberry."

"Why?"

"It is rare that I get one up one you when it comes to these discussions. I want to make sure I remember it to blog about it."

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like salt, too. I eat it right out of the shaker.

Anonymous said...

Good for you. (And the truth is, if you use the salt shaker even once a month she's going to tell you you "salt everything"... at least that's what happens at our house.)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your "jumping from the bridge" answer. I don't think it's insulting if people salt their food. Like you said, some like it more than others.

Unknown said...

it is rare. I really wish I could cook like Lauren. Really.

Anonymous said...

What if the bridge is over a highway?

Slinger said...

I am guilty of pre-salting as well.

Anonymous said...

Lauren blogs!?!?!?!?! What is the address?

And I like salt, too.

Scottsdale Girl said...

Ah salt, I would salt chocolate if it wasn't illegal.

Anonymous said...

I do the same as you but make the most of your small victory over Lauren. You know it won't be long before she gets one up on you again!

eclectic said...

I'm the cook, and I salt everything at the table because I don't add salt while cooking. But I hate it if the kids pour ketchup on stuff they've never tried before until after they've at least tried it. Still, that was a kickass answer to the bridge question.

Judypatooote said...

She's right....and your still funny......I salt everything too, even though I have high blood pressure, I still salt my pizza.... I'm trying to get better though....

Anonymous said...

I'm a pre-pepperer, myself.

Unknown said...

LOL - William, Lauren is still so far ahead of you, you'll never catch up.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind salting the scottsdale girl.........

Anonymous said...

Nice victory. I know in my house they are few and far between.

I posted about one where my daughter helped with with a small victory. That was a few months ago. Haven't had one since.

Anonymous said...

Hee.

"To save you"?! Dude, you're GOOD.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I'm with Kalki. Pre-pepper's my poison...

Anonymous said...

No salt! Cook with it, but then don't use it at the table. Watch that blood pressure! You don't want to retain water! Everything in moderation. This coming from a 64 year old!

Jay said...

Genius! for jumping off the bridge after her. I love it.