Thursday, April 06, 2006

What's in a date?

I may be not the best example of a religious person, but I try. I have my beliefs and I struggle like most other people with them on a regular basis. I usually do not share my beliefs with other people unless I know them, like them, and can trust them to offer me a good “give and take” when it comes to discussing such a topic.

Our well meaning but nosey gossipy and opinionated neighbors stopped by the other night to discuss the hawk incident. They are an older (late 60's) couple, who are heavily involved in their church and take every opportunity to tell us about how wonderful and know-it-all they are. We have experienced their “Holier than thou” advice and opinions on more than 6 occasions. They like to remind us of how the people who owned the house before us were such good Christians, and would help them with their yard work and other chores. And there have been numerous times of un-solicited advice on how to raise Maxfield. Like I said, they mean well but are opinionated.

After discussing the hawk, the conversation turned towards idle chitchat. We have not spoken to them in months and they were catching up on everything that was happening with us. They were asking about how Lauren was feeling with the pregnancy and all and the of course the question of due date came up. We explained that the actual due date is June 18th but there is a slight gray area and that it could be earlier than that give or take 10 days.

It was at this point that Mrs. Neighbor said, “Oh well, the baby could be born on my birthday which is June 6th.”

“June 6th? Really? That is also Bill’s birthday.” Lauren said.

Which I responded, “Yeah. How cool would that be? Oh-six, Oh-six, Oh-six. 666. Wouldn’t that be interesting?”

Now I have said some shocking things to people in my life, either as a joke, which this was, or in all seriousness but I have never seen someone get as visibly upset as this woman did. She became quite flustered and said, “Well, then, ah, maybe that would not be such a…umm, good date. Let’s hope, uhh, umm for another date.”

I kind of felt bad for saying it but it was my mom who pointed out the possibility of this birth date to me. My mom is a religious person. She taught Sunday school for many, many years. She was a Eucharistic Minister for her church and she has volunteered countless times for many church events. She brought this joke up to me several times. She is even from the same generation as my next-door neighbor. Does my neighbor really think that a kid having that birthdate will really turn out to be evil?

I expressed to Lauren that I kind of felt bad for making the woman uncomfortable. And Lauren said, “Some people just can’t take jokes. Besides do you really care what she thinks about us?”

“No. Not really.”

“Then she can go pound sand.”

25 comments:

Unknown said...

That's why Lauren is so great, because she has her head on straight. I am a very religious person, and I got the joke. I also know people who would be like that woman. I wouldn't laugh in her face but I wouldn't worry too much what she thinks.

Michelle said...

My MIL is an ultra-religious Catholic. She would've reacted just like your neighbor. Sometimes it's hard for some people to see the forest for the trees. As for a sense of humor - obviously some people are just lacking in that department. Don't worry too much about offending her. I'm sure it wasn't the first time she's been offended and it certainly won't be the last!

Unknown said...

That Lauren. She speaks the truth. :)

Judypatooote said...

Hi William and Lauren;
I know so many people like that, and let me point out they are NOT Christians....although they seem to think they are...Religion is a hard to understand thing.....I mean I question all the time, WHY did he take my hubby, and granddaughter at such an early age.....but still I have to keep faith....whether it be because I'm afraid not to, I don't know.....but people that are Christians, help people, they don't preach to them....I don't believe you have to hang out in a church to be a good Christian.... I have a Church, I go to regularly, and a second one that I go to on sat. night with my kids sometimes...... You and Lauren sound like a wonderful family, and Max is just adorable..... keep God in your heart, and tell the neighbors there is a new couple down the street that need them to befriend......it's nice to be back reading your blog.....

jen said...

Right on, Lauren! Nice joke, Bill!

Effie said...

You know what was funny? I read this and there were 6 comments--maybe your baby could be born at 6:06 in the morning too!

I'm pretty religious and i laughed! Don't worry about it!

Kami said...

Good grief.

Now, get over there and help them with their yard and their chores, you heathen!

My kid's birthday is 04 June, and the hub's is 21 June, so either will work for me, though the 4th may be a bit early. :)

Anonymous said...

Bill,
If your baby is born on that day than there are some cool names out there.
Damian
Lucifer
That way maybe, Mom won't think the name for our baby is as bad as she thinks it is.

Anonymous said...

*sigh* It was silly for her to be offended by that joke, and not terribly gracious of her to show it. THANK GOD that His love is big enough for poopheads like me, jokers like you and nosey, gossipy, opinionated people like your neighbors.

P.S. God has a sense of humor too, after all, He made me!

ieatcrayonz said...

And I thought that the date 1:02:03am on 04/05/06 was going to be the freakiest anomaly of the year. But 06/06/06? Fahreaky! I'm going to bet that there are a record number of C-sections on 6/05/06.

By the way, my grandmother died on June 6. When she died, she was 66. We had some theories...

Anonymous said...

That would be a "cool date" but I'm surprised anyone could be offended or embarrassed by such an obvious joke. I'm not very religious myself, perhaps that's why I just laughed when I read your post.

Have a nice weekend

AD

Sharpie said...

I like your wife!!!!

Anonymous said...

I can picture your neighbors "pounding sand" into the numbers 6 6 6. Regardless, the "Its a ???" balloons must go out on that day.

Redneck Mommy said...

To be a fly on your wall... I'm with Lauren. Ignore the nosey neighbor who can't take a joke. Good luck with the upcoming birth of your....spawn.

Lowa said...

I have a very strong faith and I got a kick out of that. I am sure God had himself a chuckle as well. Sheesh! LOOSEN UP PEOPLE!!!

We have lived in this house for 6 years and have exchanged pleasantries a handful of times with 3-4 of the neighbours. I like it that way. Everyone keeps their noses out of everyone else's life. It is AWESOME!!

I just read your hawk post. That is really horrifying! Any chance you could move back closer to the north area?? There are morons everywhere, but perhaps less of a chance of a stray bullet hurting some of you?? That is UNREAL. And that poor Hawk!?!? HELLO!?!? What did he/she ever do to anyone??

Odd Mix said...

I'm with MainlineMom and others. I have a very strong and active faith, but got the joke entirely. In fact I commented on it to Tink on my blog the other day. Just for the shock value I am hoping the baby is botn on the 6th.

that girl said...

"...pound sand."

that's the coolest non-cussing dismissal ever.

hm... and i'm a dork.

Nature Girl said...

I LOVE Lauren...She is the best! And I agree...some people just cannot take a joke. I am hoping for June 16th by the way...it's MY birthday...Stacie

N said...

hi, followed the link to your blog from klog. (that sorta rhymed!) i really enjoyed reading your posts, and this one especially. this is prime example of why christian people, i like- religious people, i really, really, really don't like. how's this- i actually work with a woman whose in-laws are crazy-strict catholics who really & truly believe that because she is left-handed, she is somehow evil.

kimmyk said...

Lauren cracks me up!

She can be cheeky but in a way that makes ya laugh.


WTG Lauren.

Anonymous said...

Yeah 1 pt for Lauren. Add to her bazillion points.

Oh and a pt to you for a nice "put in place" comment that wasn't really offensive. It was funny.

Perhaps HAHA could be pounded in the mulch you'll be tossing around their yard?

Cheryl said...

I like your wife.

Shannon Nelson said...

Go pound sand must be a PA saying. My husband says that a lot and I never heard that saying before moving here.

Anyway, did you read my post "Just a little vent"? Some of it pertained to how most people perceive us Christian folk. I would have totally gotten your joke though. I think you are totally funny.

LizzieDaisy said...

My hub's family is ultra-religious Catholic as well and would have laughed their butts off. It's a date and a date does not make a child evil. Really... that's just sad.

MrsDoF said...

That you and Lauren found each other is such a fine situation. Such quips bring so much laughing!
My sister says 'pound salt' with the same idea behind it.

The number 666 shouldn't mean so much, but there is some reference in the Bible, at least according to my Sunday School teacher mother.
My nephew's birthday is 10-10-2000, which is very easy for this old auntie to remember when it comes time to send the card.
And my fingers are crossed for new baby June 10, my own birthday.