Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Church Vs. Max Round 5

As we entered St. Pete’s on Easter Sunday I already had the over/under at 15 minutes set in my head as far as how long Max would last. I also picked the over because Lauren was with me and I figured we would last longer in church than usual because there were two of us.

I also figured since Easter Sunday, for a church, is like the night before Thanksgiving or St Patty’s day for a bar (All the amateurs come out and it is also the biggest money day) that there would be enough people and distractions that maybe Max would last a little while longer.

The place was packed. There were gazillions of people. It was so packed that it was standing room only, even in the lobby. So that is where we stood. In the back. (I started having the itch to listen to the gospel and take mental notes in case my mom asked what was it about, slip out to the 7-11 and get Slurpees and play the Track and Field Video game. But I am an adult now so I must set an example.) Max did okay for the first 10 minutes. Walking around looking at people. Acting cute and friendly one second, and then shy and embarrassed the next.

It was at the 10-minute mark that he discovered that we were standing about 5 feet away from a water fountain. A handicapped/children accessible water fountain. Within 30 seconds of the discovery he proceeded to hit the button put his hand over the spout and splash the gentleman standing next to the water fountain. The gentleman laughed and smiled at Max and me. This was the first of about 30 trips to the water fountain.

Eventually the nice gentleman moved and Lauren took his place against the wall in the splash range of the fountain. Max continued to play with the water fountain until I had had enough. I quickly made my exit and Lauren soon followed. We were there for about 30 minutes. I call this a tie.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you put him in the nursery?

Anonymous said...

It doesn't matter what you wear, as long as you're there. It doesn't matter if you talk or laugh, or play at the water fountain, God doesn't care. He was glad to see you there. You are filled with grace for trying. All are welcome in His place, especially the Little Children, they put a smile on His face. Happy 2 days after Easter.

Anonymous said...

I was going to ask the same thing as Anonymous... But then I realized you're probably in the same situation as I am. My oldest loves Sunday school - but we haven't been taking him while we're church shopping, it's too heartbreaking for him not to go back. But my youngest, even though he's almost 4, won't set foot in the nursery (sheesh - now he'd be in Sunday School). He won't be seperated from us. So, yeah, we're those other parents in the back ready to make a break for it.

Effie said...

Teehee--I can't figure out how my parents made all 6 of us stay quiet in the pew those many many Sundays....I remember getting a "kid kit" ready for my youngest sister Becky--complete with a felt board, mini animal shapes, colouring book and crayons--all quiet activities and I think there was a mini snack section in it..Mom almost went into business making those Kid Kits for other parents in the church--we made about 10 or so--great things..Becky almost never made a fuss--Mom didn't like taking her to the nursery!

Tammy said...

Wow. You are well on your way to a church victory!

Lowa said...

Very impressive!

I started putting my kids in the nursery when they were about 8 or 9 months old and they started making a lot of noise trying to help the pastor out with his sermon!


Some of them took to it and it was easy to get them in there every Sunday. Some did not, depends on the kid. My 3rd son is almost 7 and just now goes to class, but only if his little sister is in there with him. I spent a few years being in his class with him almost every Sunday. You do what you have to do and it sounds like you guys did great as always!

Nature Girl said...

Too funny! Stacie

Anonymous said...

I dunno man, I think Max may have taken this one. ;)

Unknown said...

We were visiting a different church because we were out of town this weekend so we left Nathan at home with the inlaws. Have you considered the nursery at these churches? Every church has one!

kimmyk said...

my aunt useta shove tic tacs and certs down our throats to keep us quiet and in our seat. all that up down kneeling signing confused me...but I knew if i was good tic tacs would flow like my own personal communion.

30 mins? i say that's long enough to feel the spirit.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Max was just trying to perform a baptism.

Beth Fish said...

Well clearly you should hang out by the water fountain more often.

Chixulub said...

I got out of taking my daughters to church by taking them to a church I like: a Serbian Orthodox Church. Mo kept saying 'look at the Christmas!' as she eyed the icons. We made it about fifteen minutes in before the fidget-factor was overwhelming. That was four years ago and Em still won't entertain the notion that I could find a church even vaguely acceptable.

You'd think I took her to the People's Temple.

Kami said...

Damn! Kalki beat me to it!

Lois Lane said...

Tie Schmie! Max wins again! Cheers to Max! To heck with the nursery. I say Max is like your get out of jail free card, is that wrong?! LOL!
Lois Lane

Anonymous said...

I Bet you wished at that moment you were back selling Easter Flowers with the rest of us.....

Anonymous said...

i keep hearing about these kid's kits or pew kits. Does any one have a craft idea or anything for these? i have kids leaving my nursery to be trained in the pew on sunday evenings and i want to help the momas with the transition.
please e-mail at sacpsacp@yahoo.com