Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The First Date

The First Date
This is part 2 to yesterdays post.
6-29-97
8 years ago on this date was my first date with my wife.

The first date consisted of me walking down to Lauren’s place around noon. I picked her up and we went to Houlihan’s. On the way to the restaurant I told her I had to go the cast party picnic at PJ’s house around 3pm.

At Houlihan’s we talked about interests, occupations and other first date type stuff. After we finished eating I asked her if she wanted to go and have coffee at the Barnes and Noble next door. If she was not interested in me she could say “No” and I would know that THIS was not going to go any farther.

As we approached the door to the bookstore a man came up to me and asked if I was in the production of Much Ado About Nothing (see yesterday’s post). I told the guy yes and he started gushing about how awesome the show was and that I was so funny and really entertaining. I felt like a movie star. Here I am on a first date and I have a fan telling me, and HER how talented I am. After he left I looked at Lauren and said, “One of my fans.” It was such an awesome impression to make. Awkward but awesome.

We ordered our coffees, sat down and continued our conversation. We were talking about art and art school (we both took art classes at the same high school) We talked about her being in my brother Mike’s class (he is four years younger than I) when I realized that we grew up in the same township and I never asked what part of the township she was from.
“So where in W.G. did you grow up?” I asked.
“Over on C-Drive”, she said
“Really. Do you know Kristen Suchandsuch?”
“Yes. She lived a few houses down. She is 2 years older than me, but we played together all the time. Did you know she is getting married in August?"
“Get out. Really?” I said, half laughing.
“Yes, she is. My parents are going to the wedding.”
I started laughing harder. “I am the best man in that wedding.”
Lauren looked stunned. “What?”
“I am the best man in her wedding.” I repeated.
“GET OUT!” Lauren was half choking on her coffee, “Are you serious.”

I explained how Kristen was marrying Bob, my best friend who I grew with and that I was the best man in the wedding that her parents were going to be attending in two months, “Look if this whole dating thing works out, you can be my date for the wedding.”

We both laughed at the coincidences that were being played out.

We finished our coffee and I asked her if she wanted to go to the cast party picnic with me. She was hesitant and said, “Why so you can show off to all your theater buddies that you picked me up last night?”

I was surprised that she asked the question and that she was right. “No. Well maybe. But I am also having a great time with you right now so why don’t we extend the date.”

She thought for a second and said, “Okay.”
I was in awe of her.

We went to cast picnic. PJ was shocked that she was with me and kept giving me the raising-the-eyebrow, way to go man, all right dude, silent man to man secret that is not so secret look that indicates “She’s hot”.

After the picnic we went back to my place so she could meet my roommates and her neighbors. On the refrigerator I had a picture form the movie the Princess Bride. She looked at it and chuckled.
“The Princess Bride. That is my favorite movie.” She said.
“Get out” I belted, “Mine Too.”

We then went back and forth saying different lines from the movie. That was the first date.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cute! You guys ARE made for each other. And Mom's not freaking out any more...LOL.

Unknown said...

That's terrific! That's way better than the first date I had with Hubby...

Great story! :)

Anonymous said...

I love it when a guy remembers the details. You're sweet!

Random and Odd said...

Can you keep going with this story! PLEASE!!

I am so in love with your story of you two...

NEXT DATE!!!

Lois Lane said...

Sweet story! Happy anniversary to you two crazy kids! It's a small world huh?! Aren't you glad she made you late for work? I bet she did that a couple more times over the years too. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)
Lois Lane

G-Side Pride said...

awww does this story end with happily ever after?
G-Side Pride

Anonymous said...

Lauren, did you suspect at all that maybe he had staged that whole "biggest fan" thing? I mean, it was his idea to go to Barnes & Noble and all. I know it was actually real, but did you wonder even a little?

Susie said...

I'm LOVING this! I love love stories. Those little coincidences at the beginning, that let you know you are supposed to be together. Oh, my heart. You two remind me of Jif and me. That's a good thing; we've been loving a lot for a long, long time. I still call him up during the day just to tell him something that made me laugh; just like you guys. I LOVE married love. Happy dativersary, and many, many more.

Anonymous said...

same with g-side pride