Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Comment

I am a firm believer that if you want to be something in your life (doctor, chef, actor, writer, etc.) you should surround yourself with people who actually do what you want to do. I know it is easier said than done, but I believe it. Some of those things require college degrees and cerifications but by going to school for a specific career, by default, surrounds you with people of the same wants.

Once you are in the evironment of your path of choosing you can look at what you consider the best of people and try to emulate them or you can look at what you consider the worst and try to avoid being like them. Also, once you are in the environment, and surrounded by the best, opportunities to learn, get a job, find a mentor etc. , present themselves. If you had not been surrounded by the right people those opportunities most likely would not exist.

I think the same way when it comes to relationships. I know people that crave and want stable committed relationships but surround themselves in other peoples negative dramas that they can only take away negative vibes. Those negative vibes stick with them when they are dealing with their own relationships.

There is a positive and inspiring energy that comes from groups of people who share the same wants and desires. Don't believe me? Take a look at any political rally. Watch a sporting event.

Sometimes this energy can produce bad effects such as cults, terrorists, organized crime and the like, but when it comes to the simple pursuit of happiness of a carreer or relationship or hobby I always say, "Surround yourself with the best. There is nothing wrong with being the dumbest guy in a room full of geniuses."

I started Poop and Boogies, the blog, three years ago. At first it was a way to keep my family and friends, 1000 miles away, informed about my (Lauren and Maxfield's too) life in the Sunshine state.

Since that time P & B has kind of taken on a life of it's own. A large reason for that is the people of the Blogosphere and their comments that they leave here. I never realized that I would feel connected to people whom (or maybe it is who, I am sure Cat can tell me) I have never met.

From those comments I have clicked and clicked and clicked. I have found blogs that I like. I have found blogs that are not really my taste but are great. I have found blogs that are entertaining and humorous. I have found blogs that are sad but inspiring.

But I really feel lucky to have the comments. Thank you. I would like to say a special thank you to Anonymous Kevin and RZ Dreams who do not have their own blogs but have commenting for a very long time.

I know there are lurkers out there that read and do not comment and I am very thankful for them as well. Thank you.

But comments lead to other great blogs and by accident I find myself surrounded by great people.

One of the most fascinating things, to me, about the internet is the ability to "surround" yourself with the best by just sitting at your computer.

Here are some blogs that I consider the best ( I stress "some" because each week my "best" changes). They inspire me, entertain me and give off postive vibes.



Rude Cactus , What Was I Thinking, Klog, DWM, Truths and Half Truths, GreebleMonkey,



I'm No Belle, Eclectic, Bossy, My Circus Life, Doc Ern, Bogart , Nothing But Bonfires,



Oh The Joys, Creative Type Dad, Gigglepotamus (she's hot)

28 comments:

Suzy-Q said...

I am mostly a lurker, but sometimes comment if the urge hits me and I have something funny to say. I think you have a great sense of humor and I enjoy seeing the love of your family in print.

Just last week when my kids asked what was in the soup I was cooking I replied, "Poop and boogies" :o)

Teri said...

Amen, brother!

I did the same thing over on my blog, sort of, and even mentioned you and Lauren.

It's great when people can touch our lives and we haven't even physically met them.

Chris H said...

It is fun for sure, 'meeting' so many people and reading their stories... tis a small world really.

Maddy said...

Well I only know two of those so that's great!

I also think that's a good idea to acknowledge those commenters who don't have a blog! Imagine!

Cheers

OhTheJoys said...

Right back atcha, brother B.

Anonymous said...

I am mostly a lurker as well, but I love reading your blog. Yours is one of the must reads on my list because of your great style and humorous writing.

I really appreciate this post, it helped put into words some of the things I know but need to focus on.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. Thank you. And thanks for all you bring to this here blogosphere. I think we met through mrtl, and you've been one of my favorite people ever since.

Crumbs said...

Ooh...Many I haven't seen yet! Thanks for the links...(and of course, the Main Attraction)

Chris Cactus said...

Thank you my friend. Sincerely, thank you. Those kind words mean a great deal to me. I feel the same way about you and your fine blog.

Carrie said...

this reflection couldn't have come at a better time for me to read.


thanks for always seeming to have the right post at the right time.

Anonymous said...

Aw. Insomniac here, just wandering around. What a nice place to wander into. :)
I'm honored to be in the company named here. And I'm very, very thankful that you wandered into my place back in the day.

Amber said...

You are so good to point to others; a true sign of humility. Since you are kind and humble and funny, I need to tell you something...

As you know, I have a *blog crush on you, the secret race post did it for me, and well, I've been back ever since. BUT, my day was made when I got my very first comment from you. I ran into the living room yelling, "Poop and Boogies" commented. No, I don't call you William, I call you Poop and Boogies (that's your real name to me, William is just your blog name). Anyway, your encouragement, along with my friend Stacie, kept me posting, even when my big day was 7 views. So thank you for taking the time to comment and link me, IT REALLY MEANT/MEANS A LOT COMING FROM YOU!!!

So, thanks for the laughs, I especially like the upside down tie, thanks for the tears, and thanks for the compliments. You're my kind of good company.

*blog crush is not to be confused with a Big Daddy crush, a blog crush means I would punch you in the arm and tell you that you are funny and then probably laugh and snort at the same time.

** I don't want Lauren to think I'm blog tollin'

ewe are here said...

I lurk more than I comment over here, but I do enjoy your blog.

And, like you, I've found so many great people and blogs out there... including a few on your list.

Unknown said...

I am honored to be included in such great company. Thank you to you, too, William. You and your lovely family definitely bring a smile to my face.

Bogart said...

Man, Scarlett already said everything I could. She is so mean!

Claire and I sit and read your blog, laughing and talking about it...

Thank you for the mention in this post. I am humbled and don't really think I deserve to be on that list.

Thank you for your blog. It really has become a regular part of my life...much like another friend.

Wendy said...

I like the comments on my blog, too. It's fun to see who's reading my blather, read their take on what I've said, and then click over to their blog to see what interests them (and then, try to figure out why on earth they find me interesting ;). I actually get a little disappointed when they don't have a blog :).

And, as you observed, I have found myself surrounded by the best of the best here in the blogosphere, in my particular area of interest, and I have actually learned quite a lot.

Jan said...

I started my blog for much the same reason. I have a daughter on the other side of the country. But the benefits, have been numerous. I really have a lot of fun. And I love the comments. I don't comment on every blog, every day (I have about 60 on my reader), but I jump in when I have something to say.

Anonymous said...

I lurk but have been posting comments of late. Mostly because I got tired of people lurking on my blog. So I figured I would not lurk either. What's fair is fair. Nice blog.

Unknown said...

Wow, I am so flattered. And how right you are. Group hug.

Anonymous said...

what a nice post and a thoughtful way to send out a shout to your favorites.

Found you because Aimee Greeblemonkey "tweeted" you post. I'm glad she did.

Anonymous said...

The community is what has kept me blogging.

Bradley's Mom said...

Hi there:

I found you through my son's blog, The Egel Nest, and I have been reading your blog for quite some time.

You are always so entertaining!

And you are right.....the blog world is so interesting, even to those of use who don't have their own blog!!

Keep up the wonderful work!

Linda

~moe~ said...

I'm generally a lurker but I really do enjoy your writings. I, too, started my blog three years ago as a way to keep in touch with friends who would be moving around the country/world. It's been a great way to expand my world. I've "met" some awesome people via their blogs and someday I hope to actually meet a few of them in person.

Thanks for writing and bringing some humor and happiness to my life and those lives of others.

Undercover Mutha said...

Humility is the best form of flattery. I smiled when I saw the same blogs that I love to read so much.

So, what's with the big honkin' ad in the sidebar? Has that been there all this time?

The Egel Nest said...

I am NOT a lurker...I always put my 2 cents in...but this was a great blog..well said in all ways...and the blogs you highlighted are all very good!

Can you believe we have been blogging for 3 years??

Crazy...


Bradley
The Egel Nest

eclectic said...

You give the best here pal, so it's no wonder you get it back. Thanks for including me, Bill. I'm honored, humbled, and smiling!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

wow! i got a shout-out, and i don't even have a blog. like susie said, i'm also very honored to be in the company named here. i adore your writing, bill, but i love your sense of humor and your love for your wife, boys, and family most of all. and anonymous' comments crack me right up every time. keep up the great work!

Jody said...

Best for last,eh? She'slucky she made the cut. :)