Monday, August 20, 2007

Appearing Nightly

Wyatt is 14 months (and some change) old. For his entire life, his mother has been the one to put him and tuck him into bed. During those 14 plus month I have had the responsibility to put Maxfield to bed. There have been some exceptions to this, but for the most part it is an accurate statement.

Last week, for various reasons, Lauren and I decided to switch it up. I now have the responsibility and pleasure of putting Wyatt to bed. As part of Lauren’s routine with Wyatt, she would sing to him before laying him down in his crib. Lauren has a nice voice and she knows the words to thousands of songs. I, on the other hand, do not.

I think I have posted here before that the only song I know all the words to is the ABC’s song. Wyatt is not a big fan of the ABC’s. (I know you are thinking that maybe he is not a fan of my voice but continue reading). I know parts of songs and on the first few nights I tried a medley of different artists. I mixed Pink Floyd, Ben Folds, Peter Gabriel and Dire Straits into, what I considered, a wonderful tune. Wyatt did not care for it.

The next couple of nights, I searched the recesses of my brain for a song in which I knew all the lyrics. I was happy to discover that I know all the lyrics to two other songs. They both happen to be Barry Manilow songs. "I Can't Smile Without You" and "I Write the Songs". I don’t have the voice to sing Barry Manilow the right way. So, I sing the songs to Wyatt as if I were a lounge singer out in Vegas. Picture Bill Murray from the old Saturday Night Live skits.

You know I can’t smile without you. (How is everybody tonight?)
I can’t smile with out you.
I can’t laugh, and I can’t sing
I’m finding it hard to do anything.
(Hey where are you from?)
You know I feel sad, when you’re sad. (Anyone sad out there tonight?)
I feel glad when you’re glad. (Here’s to being glad).
If you only knew what I’m going through. I just can’t smile without you.
You came along just like a song (Back on June 11th I remember it like it was just last year) and brightened my day. (and your mother’s.)
Who’d’ve believe you were part of a dream,
Now it all seems, like years away
. (Okay, really only a year ago.)


Thanks. Thank you really. I’m here all week.

18 comments:

A. Nonny Mouse said...

Try the roast beef, it's great. :)

OhTheJoys said...

I can't LIVE, if livin' is without you-oooo.

We sing ABC's (because we are lame.)

I bet you could recall the words to Twinkle Twinkle if you put your thinky hat on.

Anonymous said...

Is he having nightmares yet?

Anonymous said...

That ain't workin, that's the way you do it. Play your guiter on MTV

Anonymous said...

Have I told you before that you should be a sitcom? Seriously, Poop and Boogies. Major television hit just waiting to happen.

Teri said...

you are the biggest goof and you make me laugh!

Bravo. Are you doing Vegas at some point?

Chris H said...

Thanks.. but no ... thanks.... might give you a miss.

Anonymous said...

By his request, I have been singing the ABC song to my son for almost 6 years now. Unfortunately, singing it 10 times in a row can drive you nuts.

Anonymous said...

If you sing the alphabet backwards, it could prove interesting.

Anonymous said...

Please, make sure and tip your waitress.

Nilbo said...

Inflicting Bary Manilow on children is just wrong. Someone should call the authorities.

SciFi Dad said...

Under The Bridge by RHCP and Fly Me To The Moon by Sinatra are two my daughter asks me to sing

Unknown said...

Dude. You're hired... can you come put my kids to bed every night?

Rock on with your Barry Manilow self! (Hubby calls him Barely Maninuff)

Our bedtime song "jukebox" includes Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, You Are My Sunshine, Row Row Your Boat, Achey Breaky Heart (just the chorus) and the theme to Spiderman (Spiderman, Spiderman, Does whatever a spider can...)

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's not what you sing but THAT you sing. Keep up the good work, Superdad! :)

Kami said...

Poor Wyatt.

Whoops. I meant to say, you really should record that!

You are a great dad, William!

Amber said...

The thing that is so great about singing to kids is they are smaller and you can make them listen, and if they don't you can spank 'em!

Nature Girl said...

I always made up my own songs..I can't ever remember "real" ones either. the made up ones were nothing more than "singing" the crap that goes on in my head. When my kids got old enough to know what I was doing (I still do it) they started giving me a heck of a time about it. They make so much fun of me...

i don't get no respect..
Stacie

Unknown said...

Mike sings a lot of Bob Dylan to Nathan before bed. His fave is Blowin in the Wind. Recently though he prefers Itsy Bitsy Spider...and as it turns out, since I sang it with Nathan so frequently for the past 9 months...Alex is familiar with that one already.