Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Lottery

The other day, on lunch hour, I stopped by the 7-11 to pick up some lottery tickets. As I was waiting for the cashier to ring up all the people in front of me, I decided to check the lottery tickets in my wallet, against the past numbers they had posted on the wall. I have a George Costanza type wallet and I wanted to lighten it up a bit.

I pulled out the tickets and I started to compare them to the posted numbers. I spread the tickets on the counter in front of me. I picked up a ticket looked at the date and number and then I would compare it to the poster board. Not a winner. I crumpled the ticket and went to the next one. I looked at the ticket, looked up at the board. Not a winner.

I was standing in the checkout line and people were lining up behind me getting their sandwiches and what not. Some were looking at the “lunch specials” board right next to the lottery board. I decided to let people go ahead of me because I was going to be a few minutes checking the numbers. Every so often the clerk behind the counter would stand in my line of view to get someone a hotdog.

I looked at the sixth ticket, craned my neck to see past the clerk, not a winner. I crumpled the ticket and picked up the next one. As I squinted to see the board on the wall my eyes were drawn to the poster next to it.

“Holy crap!” I exclaimed as I stood there holding a ticket. A smile came across my face.

The clerk heard me and his attention was drawn to my hand. “Did you win? How much?”

The people behind me looked in my direction noticing my excitement.

“What?” I said as I turned away from the board. “No. But I just noticed that you guys have Pork Roll dogs.” I pointed to the advertisement on the wall. “I’ll take one.”

Hot Dog shaped Pork Roll served in a bun is almost like winning the lottery.

15 comments:

Kami said...

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAAAA!!!

I love it.

Kami said...

But wait. You ate a gas station hot dog?

Charlotta-love said...

I love that episode of Seinfeld!

And I 2nd Kami...you ate a gas station hot dog?!

Anonymous said...

Um. EW.

Ern said...

See, if you get excited about the little things like that, you get to be a much happier person, whereas if you wait until you win the lottery, you could be waiting for that excitement a long time. :)

Nature Girl said...

ROFLMAO....you know...those things'll kill ya!

Stacie

Anonymous said...

Why am I suddenly tempted to do that at random locations? Could be a lot of fun.

Pretending to win the lottery, that is, not necessarily eating the hot dog after.

eclectic said...

Not even a gas station hot dog, but a Gas Station Pork Roll dog. Gah! With a pedigree like that, I hope the damn thing knows how to sit, stay, lie down, and speak. ;)

Anonymous said...

We miss you guys!! Who will we wax eloquent with about The Office???

http://www.dundermifflinpaper.biz

OhTheJoys said...

Simply could not agree more. Better than the lottery, even.

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

no he did not eat a gas station hot dog he ate a gas station pork roll shaped like a hot dog!

Kinda like winning the lottery!

Amber said...

Food or money? I would pick food every single time. If I had one week to live, I would eat anything and everything. That is all I would do, just eat and eat. I loves me some grub!

Anonymous said...

...thanks now I know where I'm going for lunch today!

Patience said...

Makes me wanna run to the nearest gas station and have dinner.

Unknown said...

Sometimes it's better. After all, you can get a pork roll dog anytime. ;)