Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Corner Bar

Sometimes when I think of Blogging and what it means to me I often picture it as a bar. You know what I mean, right? Like the Blog-o-sphere is my little local corner hang out joint where I go for happy hour. I catch up on the latest gossip and I hear about what is going on with other people.

I call the little bar “Favorites” because that is where all the regulars are listed in my web browser. It is filled with friends but more so with acquaintances. People I only know little tidbits about and whom I exchange casual dialog in the format of comments and posts.

All of those people are gathered at my corner bar. I like the corner bar. I enjoy the atmosphere. Everyone seems friendly and I enjoy the chitchat. Sure sometimes there are bad stories or sad stories, but for the most part the people that hang out at "Favorites" are my kind of people: Upbeat, funny and good story tellers.


On most days when you first walk in "Favorites" you are greeted with the sound of packed bar, various conversations and laughter bouncing off the walls. As you squint to adjust to the dim lighting you realize that it is not as crowded as you thought and that there is plenty of room to make yourself comfortable. There are a few people at the bar and many scattered at different tables and booths all enjoying the company of the rest of the patrons.

In the corner booth, nursing a Rye whisky, is Nilbo. He is entertaining a group of ladies of various ages. The all have smiles on their faces and he has a twinkle in his eye and it is hard to tell if he has been at the bar for a while or not.

Two tables over is Susie, enjoying a glass of wine with her sisters. They are not really her sisters but as an outsider you couldn’t tell.

There is young couple, sipping beers, at the high top table in the middle of the room. They are chuckling to themselves about their workday. He is peeling the label off his beer bottle and putting the pieces on the table. She immediately cleans them up and drops them in the ashtray.

Over by the small stage, standing by the railing, leafing through the Karaoke book is Paige and Cat. They are laughing at the possibility of singing a duet. They can’t decide between Captain and Tennile or Kiki Dee and Elton John. Their husbands are sitting at a table next to them egging them on.

On a stool at the bar, sitting facing the room, drink in hand, is Bucky. She is sharing her stories with the bartender and the small group of ladies with her. There are two wet rings on the bar behind her where her last drinks rested. They seem like they are out for the night. If this is their first stop, god help the rest of the town.

OTJ and Steve are talking politics and parenting with Chris and Kami right near where the bar top curves towards the waitress station. MD just ordered a scotch and is about to join in on the conversation.

The booths that line the right side of the bar are some new comers. They either just found "Favorites" or were brought here by friends. They seem funny and like they are enjoying themselves and it appears they may make "Favorites" a regular hangout.


When I enter I try to get a feel for the room. Which table or spot should I stop by first? I can just swing by a few tables and say hello, but I decide to settle on my spot next to the Mega Touch Machine.

Tonight I may just people watch but I am in good company.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this analogy--too bad we can't actually walk into Favorites and order a drink.

Anonymous said...

Also, do you remember Romper Room? The part at the end when she would look in the mirror and say, "I see William and Susie and Kelli . . ."? I always hoped she would say my name. Thanks for saying my name today. :)

Teri said...

That, by far, was the best post!

it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!

Anonymous said...

Great post. Wonderful analogy. I just popped by your blog via Kami's and was hooked. I grew up in PA. Miss it, kind of.

ewe are here said...

This post makes me want to call out 'Norm!'
:-)

Moi said...

Fabulous post. So many of my 'favorites' are there ... sounds like a great time.

Susie said...

I think I already said this once this week, but I've had a lot to drink, so I'll say it again, "I love you, man."

And I love this bar. Hey, there's a karaoke song for ya!

Amber said...

You just scored 10 points on the crush-o-meter! I love the bar analogy...it makes me feel all cozy inside.
p.s.-your wife is cute...sooo... aaa...I'm kinda crushin' on her too.

Steve said...

Really nice post and even better to be at a bar with such amazing patrons.

Anonymous said...

Ah, I LOVE the Corner Bar! It makes me feel all warm and cuddly... (and just so you know, it would have been the Captain and Tennille-- Love Will Keep Us Together, probably-- oh yes, most def.)

Anonymous said...

I love me a good neighborhood hang out ... can someone pass me a shot of tequila? Make it a Patron, pleaase!

Nancy said...

Really good analogy ...

"salute" "cheers" "bottoms-up"

Anonymous said...

I have missed this bar. I haven't been here for a few weeks. I haven't quit drinking, but I have been working overtime. I can see I haven't missed much. Everybody is minding their own business and you keep interupting them and kissing theis ass. Bring LW back.

Nature Girl said...

This was great. I loved this analogy...you can come sit at my table any time and I'll buy you a drink.
Cheers!
Stacie

Lois Lane said...

I love to come over to this table and get all love drunk on your family and their stories.

When you aren't a villain, you are a really lucky man!

Have a great weekend!

Chris Cactus said...

Excellent analogy. And I realize it's only 12:30 but I could use another drink ;-)

Anonymous said...

you know who you are....

The Piano Man...

Anonymous said...

This was amazingly clever. I love your blog. I never know what kind of creative writing I will find that will really make me think. Just a question, did you wear your light up Walmart shoes to Favorites?

Nilbo said...

What a fun analogy. You have no idea how much I'd want to be in that bar tonight.

Unknown said...

Hey! I thought I had commented here yesterday, but now it's gone. Sheesh. Maybe it was the Toby Keith lyrics that made it disappear...

Anywhoobers, I really like this post William. It's fantastic. Thank you for including me! I feel so honored!

Kami said...

I love this!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I LOVE this. You nailed it. One of things I especially appreciate about you is how you "get" people so well. The way you described each person is dead on. I mean, I would totally be cleaning up the paper scraps and putting them in the ashtray!

Now I'm gonna buy you drink...

OhTheJoys said...

Cheers, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post and thank you for including me. I'd love to hang out in that bar for real.

Carrie said...

what'd you say your name was again?


just kidding...


I like the post. of course, it also made me feel like total white trash cause I'm apparently hanging out in a BAR instead of watching my kids... but hey... every stepford needs a little trash, right?

thanks for the shout-out!

Unknown said...

Norrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm!

Seriously. We have a shitload of bars up here and I think that Wisconsin would be the ideal place to get everyone together.

Just not like in January.

Great post...thanks for being our Norm. We love you.

Anonymous said...

I loved the part about Kalki. I laughed right out loud!

Can I be the topless dancer in the bar?