Thursday, June 28, 2007

10 years ago

Ten years ago, today, I met my wife (who I sometimes refer to as my ex-girldfriend because once we got married she was no longer my girlfriend) Lauren.

This morning, as I sat in my parent's kitchen, I smiled at her and said, "Happy Anniversary of the night we met."

She smiled back and said, "Yeah, and look where we are now."

We both laughed and after a moment of reflection she said "Isn't it amazing how the littlest of things can all add up to something big?"

We then chatted about all the little things about the night we met and how if the slightest of circumstances would have been different we may not be married now. The complete story is here. We talked about me sitting with my friend PJ, waiting for my food, and the fact if I did not have to wait the few extra minutes, I would not have talked to her.

"Would you still have noticed me though?" Lauren asked sipping her coffee.

"Oh yeah. PJ and I were doing the whole "check her out" thing that guys do." I said. "But if someone in that kitchen was on the ball that night, and I got my food on time, I would have eaten and left. I would never have talked to you. I wonder what would have happened?"

Lauren laughed. "I would probably be married to PJ."

I love my ex-girlfriend.

20 comments:

Patience said...

Awwww! This is by far the most romantical story I've ever heard!!

Sweet!!

Another note, my word verification is ridugk. I don't know why!

Charlotta-love said...

I love that you call her your ex-girlfriend. Ha...clever.

Also, glad your pizza skins were late.

Happy Anniversary of the night you met.

Chris Cactus said...

Awesome, man. Just awesome. Happy meetaversary.

Jody said...

TeeHee. Great story. Doug likes to joke that I finall broke down and married him- since we "met" 3 times before I would date him.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, don't you find yourself sometimes sitting and contemplating all alone, and say to yourself, "Damn, why didn't I go to a different restaurant that night?"

Just sometimes. You know what I mean. Not all of the time but sometimes when she pisses you off. Don't you even think for a minute that sometimes she doesn't wish your food came out on time either.

Mitch McDad said...

Happy NYM anniversary. I'm only at 7 years and it feels like it flew by.

Doc's Girl said...

Awww...that's the best ex-girlfriend story I've ever heard. :-P

So funny how things happen so perfectly...:)

Anonymous said...

We're so glad you met... and everything that happened since then... It was good luck for us too!

eclectic said...

I love when you show your smushy side. Good on you both -- may the next 10 be as rewarding as the first.

Anonymous said...

You realize how disappointed PJ is that he didn't get to go home with you (and/or Lauren) that night, right?

Sorry, Mrs. Meakim(s). I realize this is probably inappropriate.

OhTheJoys said...

I went and read from the archive...

I have said it before, but I'll say it again... one of my favorite things about your blog is the way you talk about her.

p.s. - you're an actor?!

Lois Lane said...

You've got the best ex girlfriend ever! And Wyatt is walking?!?!? WOW, time flies!

Anonymous said...

Happy 10 to you!

BOSSY said...

Bossy and her husband used to talk about when they first met. Now they have Alzheimer's.

carrie said...

Happy "meeting" anniversary to you and your ex-girlfriend.

You done good.

Carrie

Jody said...

So, there's this post on my blog with a big pink tab at the top... And you are listed at the bottom. Come see...

Unknown said...

Awwwwwww!

Don't you just love exes?

Alright, not all of them but just the one you married?

ewe are here said...

what a great story

especially the part where you begged

heehee

Platypus said...

I'd not read the full story. You've made me smile because it's so sweet. :)

Anonymous said...

I love that you remember the date you met! Very romantic!