Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Pool Party 2

We attended a second birthday party on Saturday that also involved swimming. While at the party Max played in a kiddy pool as Lauren and I stood by chatting with other parents that we had just met.

While talking, one of the other mothers mentioned that she worked at the local hospital. She turned to me and said, “You look familiar. You look like one of the doctors that I work with.”

I smiled and said, “You work with Dr. McDreamy? People mistake us all the time.” Referring to Patrick Dempsey’s character on Grey’s Anatomy.

She laughed and said, “Oh believe me, no doctors are that good looking. I mean no one looks like Dr. McDreamy. Television does not get it right. If there were a doctor that was that good-looking working at our hospital, I would know it. I have never seen a sexy looking doctor.”

Without missing a beat, Lauren laughed and said, “So wait, what are you saying? My husband isn’t good looking?”

The woman picked up on the fact that Lauren was just teasing but she tried to backtrack anyway. We all laughed and went about talking about the hospital some more.

When we got home I thanked Lauren for defending my honor in the looks department and told her how uncomfortable it was meeting people for the first time at a swimming party and that I felt awkward the entire time.

She said, “Don’t worry about it. You were no worse than anyone else.”

“What? Worse? That implies that I looked as bad as other people.”

“You looked just like everyone else.”

“Whoa, what happened to defending my honor and my looks?”

“Let’s face it Bill, you’re 35 and not in the best shape.”

16 comments:

wixlet said...

That was funny.

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

She told you didnt she!

ieatcrayonz said...

You can't win, can you?

Anonymous said...

Oh no she didn't! f-u-n-n-y

Anonymous said...

no worries, I'm 27 and not in the best shape.

- Jon
- Daddy Detective
- www.daddydetective.com

Sharpie said...

OUCH. I'm sure she meant that in the bast way possible. (You're doing push-ups now, aren't you?)

Kami said...

OH NO! Well, I bet you would look GREAT next to me in my bikini.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's true love, huh?...lol...

Odd Mix said...

Ooow! Did she twist the knife before she pulled it out?

Unknown said...

LOL... You guys are great together. :)

kittenpie said...

OUCH!

kimmyk said...

LOL !

She's hormonal...she doesn't know what she's saying anymore. OR she just don't care...

Nature Girl said...

Ouch! It could be worse Bill, you could be 37 and not in the best shape! sigh....Stacie

The Egel Nest said...

I am still laughing at the Dr. McDreamy line.


Bradley
The Egel Nest

Anonymous said...

You're 35 ? You don't act a day over 11.

Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Ouch. A side effect of being pregnant: honesty? (Or she always blunt?) :)

Hh