Thursday, May 25, 2006

God Father

I posted this over at The Blogfathers a few weeks ago. I figured I would repost it here.

According to what I have been taught, a Godparent’s job was to ensure that a child’s religious education would be carried out in the event of the child’s parents’ death. Thankfully my parents are still living and my Godparents never had to step in regarding my religious upbringing. My Godparents were always just two people who took a vested interest in my life, my interests, and were always there should I need them. My Godmother, Aunt M, still takes an interest in my life, even though I am 35 and have kid(s) of my own (my Godfather passed away several years ago).

I take the whole God parenting thing seriously. Besides the religious aspect of it, I also find there to be many benefits to kids having Godparents. Traditionally in my family it meant extra gifts on birthdays and Christmas as well as the extra person or two attending a baseball game or a school play. But, it also meant having a person, besides your parents, that you could trust to guide you in the right direction whether you wanted them to or not.

My Godmother did fun and special things with me while I was kid, that my parent’s would never attempt due to the fact that there were 8 other kids in our house. She took me to see the Liberty Bell, out to lunch or dinner or to the movies, and weekend trips to the shore. Even after she had kids of her own she always included me in their family functions. One of Aunt M’s daughters, Bridget, is my Goddaughter. Bridget is my son Max’s Godmother. Sorry it is confusing, but I wanted to keep the tradition for my kids to have that special someone in their lives.

When I consider who would make a good Godparent’s for my kids the religious aspect really did not come into play. I want to make sure that my kids would have someone that they could trust. I want two people that shared the same values as me but would also be open to teaching my kids new ideas or thoughts. I also want my kid’s Godparents to be able to teach my kids about me, should I die before my kids get a chance to know me. It would also be helpful if they could bail my kids out of jail if the need arises.

Oh, and I think any Godparent should have the ability to scare any movie executive into giving my kids a role in their next big movie.

Do your kids have Godparent’s? What do you look for in a Godparent?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter has Godparents. They had to be people that like children and would give them a good life. It wasn't hard fo me to choose because they are to very special people in our lives. I know that Elizabeth would be safe, loved and brouht up well if something happened to us.

ieatcrayonz said...

I have a picture of me with my Godparents, but that's about it. I think they were my parent's drinking buddies.

I am so making myself a target, but after you described your Godparent family tree, I couldn't drive it away from my mind as much as I tried: Godparent incest.

I thought it was funny...you may not.

Anonymous said...

I think godparents should do exactly what you said--be that extra, loving adult in a kid's life. I was always told my godparents would be the ones I'd go live with if my parents died, and that was kind of comforting, because they happened to be my favorite aunt and uncle anyway. If I ever have a kid, he or she will have a godparent, and that person will be who I would want to raise my kid if my husband and I die. Re: the Liberty Bell--I saw it for the first time while home for a conference when I was 32. I don't understand why we didn't go there for class field trips.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to grant you this favor....

But there may come a time when I'll need you to repay me this favor, it may never come, but if it does, i'll expect you to fulfill your word and return the favor.....

Now thats what a GodFather is for!!!

LizzieDaisy said...

My husband and I both had Godparents growing up. They sent gifts at Christmas and birthdays. Mine actually just visited me for the first time since my wedding 16 years ago, this weekend. I was so excited (and stressed trying to clean and make a good impression). :) My husband has two Godchildren and I have one. Our kids each have at least two Godparents.

My take on Godparents:
1) To pray for you and keep you close to your church, steer you in the right moral direction.
2) Hopefully and if possible, to spend time with you developing a close relationship of trust so if you have problems later in life, there will be someone extra to turn to.
3) People who are capable of stepping in and raising said children in the event of the parents' death. Not necessarily, but perhaps.
4) Someone to send them kick butt noisy toys in order to get even for having been picked for the above responsibilities.

Anonymous said...

My children have some that I've never met (I've only been in their lives for 3 years and the Godparents live out of state). My husband tells me they are strong Christian people. I wonder, though, if the kids will actually go to them if we die... of course there are lots of other things involved... ugh... I don't wanna think about this.

-n

Kami said...

Our kid has godparents. We were looking for someone who could pay college tuition. ;)

Unknown said...

My sister and her husband are Nate's Godparents. Religious upbringing in the event of my untimely death was definately the main thinking there. We are still arguing over who would get Nate if both of us kicked it AND my sister and her husband were not around either. Stupid create-a-will software asked for second and third contingencies and we got stuck there and never finished it.

Michelle said...

I never had Godparents of my own (Jews don't get them) and my kids don't have them either. However, SS Dad and I are Godparents to his sister's son (my adorable nephew Caelan.) There was a religious aspect of it (even though we aren't Catholic and he is) as we agreed to be responsible for his religious upbringing should the need arise. But more importantly, we are the ones who would raise both her kids if something happened to her (and her hubby.) It would be interesting - I'm also the guardian for the boy I used to nanny for and he's a Unitarian. If for some reason I ended up getting all those kids - our entire weekend would be spent shuttling from one religious service to another!

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

We have godparents and they meant exactly what you said. My kids will have god parents.

Anonymous said...

I will speak softly and carry a big stick when it comes to Movie Producers

Anonymous said...

What a great blog! I am 64, my godmother is 85. I think I'll give her a call. Haven't seen her in a few years. It will be nice to talk to her. She was a good part of my life as a child. I'll have to thank her for that. Sweet memories! Thanks for the lift and the reminder!

Anonymous said...

It is neat as a parent to have Somewhere Out there someone else looking out for your child. You do a great job with mine.

Ally's Dad