Monday, July 25, 2011

How I Spent My Summer Vacation...

I spent it on windows.
Well, actually we spent our vacation money on windows back in December. We needed new windows. Ours were very old and drafty. We could get rebates and other tax breaks if we bought the right energy efficient windows in 2010. So we used our vacation money to replace most of the second floor windows. Any money we would have "saved" due to lower heating bills was probably just lost in the past week's heatwave.

Last week I was on vacation. When people asked me what we were doing I told them about the windows and said my vacation was more of the Staycation kind. I then joked, saying I would spend each night I was off from work in a different room just looking out my new windows.

If you follow my Facebook feed you would have seen that the family and I did our best to make the time off fun. The first night we went to the park and had a Playcation.

We did manage a couple of day trips making it a Daycation.

First we went to Bushkill Falls. I may have mentioned it on the blog that I have an anxiety issue when it comes to heights. I also suffer a bit from stress and phobia about the safety of my kids. Let me just say that if you have any kind of these issues, Bushkill Falls is not the place for you. First of all, the words "Kill" and "Fall" are in the name. Second of all, you hike and walk along boardwalk like planks and steps on the edge or face of a mountain and look at the beautiful scenery and waterfalls from hundreds of feet above the ground. Lauren loved it. The kids loved it. I had a nice time. Look at the picture below. I walked on those steps chasing a two-year-old who liked to try and stick his head through the railings.

Oh and we also saw a bear. A real bear, in the wild. It was kind of cool and scary. We were in the car when we saw it so we were not in any real danger although I did find myself locking the doors just in case the bear was going to try and carjack us. I did not want this to become a Preycation.

The other day trip we took was to Atlantic City, NJ to spend some time at the beach. Although we did not see any bears we were greeted by this scene when we turned down the block of our hotel.

Four police cars blocking an intersection while they made an arrest. We were in the car when we saw the action so we were not in any real danger. Although I found myself locking the doors just in case the criminals could smell the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches we had packed in a cooler. We did not want an Altercation.


Atlantic City was fun but it was kind of foggy and more like a Greycation. The next day we went to the Boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ to go on rides like roller coasters and log flumes. (Yes Karen that was me you saw last week I wish you would have said hello).

We spent our money on windows.




We spent our time at the the pool swimming. We spent some time fishing. We spent some time playing in the backyard. We spent time hiking. We spent some time eating out. We spent some time in the ocean.


We spent our time together which was a good vacation.
 
What did you do, or what are you doing for your vacation?

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Sounds like a lovely vacation. We went to Ireland for 17 days. 9 of us. My hubby, my 4 kids, my parents, my sister and me. It was fun, hectic, crazy and spider filled. If you are afraid of spiders, don't stay in a house that is a rebuilt church from the 1300s. Spiders. Lots of spiders.

Michelle said...

We did a week in Ocean City, NJ, just me, my girls & my husband. Two Sundays from now a group of us (my parents, my family, & my 3 brothers & their families 16 of us in all!) are heading up the mountains to Lake Harmony. Never been up there before so we'll see how it goes.

SFD said...

We're not doing much this summer... maybe a few days in a hotel with a pool... mainly because my work schedule has me swamped. We're doing something in November probably.

Charity Donovan said...

"the words "Kill" and "Fall" are in the name." = Brilliant! =)

Melissa A. said...

We're doing a bit of a staycation as well. We'll head to the local amusement park and water park probably, and take the girls bowling probably. they really want to bowl.

Anonymous said...

For the last five days I have been playing Jenga

Anonymous said...

You're a pip! You continue to make me laugh!!

Anonymous said...

If you spent it with Sharons dead cat it would be a Graycation

Karen said...

Wow! A Poop & Boogies Sighting! I should have said something!
I can't believe I recognized you....

the other amy m said...

This post is just awesome in every way. I love the humor, and the pictures are just perfect, esp. the windows at the end... but most of all the family love that shows throughout. You are lucky, what a great vacation at home.