Friday, July 22, 2011

Drinking Jenga

When I was in my late teens-early twenties I used to play a lot of Jenga. It was Drinking Jenga but it was still Jenga. To play Drinking Jenga you take every wooden block and you write different phrases on them like -Drink 2, or Give 3, Or Give 1 and Take 1. The basic rules were when you removed a block, you did what the block said. If you pulled a Drink 1 out you had to take a sip of the beer in front of you. If you pulled a block that said Give 4 you could make the other people paying drink. Whoever knocked over the tower had to finish the drink in front of them. There were different ways to play too, where you would pass the beer to the left or the right etc. It all depended on how much Busch Beer (pounders in a can) we could purchase from the shady joint on Cheltenham Ave. The more people drank, the more fun the game became. I think at one point there was kissing and drinking involved (kiss the person to the left or across or what have you). The game Jenga has never been the same for me since

This past Christmas the boys received a Jenga game. We played several times over the winter break and had a good time. One day in January I decided to make the game more interesting and I wrote a bunch of the letter "C"s on the blocks. Every time Maxfield or Wyatt had a successful turn with a block with a C,  I would give them a Skittle. They loved playing this way. We played Cookie Jenga, M & M Jenga and of course Skittle Jenga.

We have not played Jenga in a few months.

The other night we pulled it out for family game night and played the good old fashion way. Wyatt was very upset that there was no candy involved. He kept looking for the blocks with the letter "C".  He got angry every time I told him there was no candy. It was becoming a long and frustrating family game night. We put the Jenga away and decided to play Chutes and Ladders. I am not a fan of Chutes and Ladders.





During the Chutes and Ladders I kept trying to come up with ways to make it more interesting. Any Suggestions?

8 comments:

BloggerFather said...

Chutes and Ladders was actually my favorite game as a kid. I only played Jenga in my drinking phase. Our version of C&L did include an added rule, though, that if I hit the square someone else is on, he has to go all the way back to zero. That added a little bit of fun.

Eve Morasco said...

At all cost, avoid playing Candy Land!

stephanie said...

Put it away and bring out Battleship.

Molly said...

Yes..... anything but Candyland.

James said...

Love Drinking Jenga. I mean loveed.

As for Chutes and Ladders... hmmm. If you're still stuck in one of the bottom three rows when someone wins, then you have to run around the block in your underwear.

Michelle said...

If you land in the block at the other end of the chute (so the bottom) or the ladder (so the top), you have to tell a joke (or do a trick or a dance, or get a treat...).

Anonymous said...

I always found the strip version of any of these games as the only reason to play

Marilyn said...

This will not succeed in reality, that is what I think.