Monday, February 28, 2011

Happy Father's Day

When I started this blog, Poop and Boogies, I never intended for it to be a Daddy Blog. Actually the term Daddy Blog wasn't even part of the blogging vocabulary back in 2005 (I am not a big fan of the term Daddy Blog because I think it limits a person's perception on what this blog is about or any other blog that gets the two word description like Mommy Blog or Craft Blog or Political Blog). I did intend for this blog to be about my life and my family. Since I am a dad and most of life and time is consumed in an effort to make my kids life better, this blog has become mostly about parenting. So yeah, I guess I am a Daddy Blogger.

Seven years ago, on a beautiful Sunday afternoon this happened. Seven years ago, throughout the day, and in the middle of the night this happened.


My dad used to call me on March 1st and wish me a Happy Father's Day because it "is the anniversary of when you became a dad." Seven years ago Maxfield was born. Seven years ago I became a dad.

To celebrate Max's Birthday we took Max, a few of his friends, and Wyatt to a Rock Climbing Gym. Max and his buddies put on harnesses and helmets and had an hour to climb and jump and flip and learn to rock climb.

As a "Daddy Blogger" I am supposed to write a heart touching post using analogies and metaphors about how watching Max rock climb is kind of like life, letting him go, trusting him, watching him climb and fail only to try again, being worried about him falling and getting hurt, using the support rope and holding it too tightly,

making sure he accomplishes his goals and reaches the top.But I didn't think about any of those things at the Rock Climbing Gym. The truth be told the only thing I was thinking about was,
"Damn, my kids are the cutest rock climbers ever."


I am not a very good Daddy Blogger.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

you are the BEST kind of Daddy Blogger...because your kids ARE the cutest rock climbers ever.

Happy Birthday Max!

Happy Father's Day William!

Anonymous said...

Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Although on your blog
the paper is for crafts and the scissors are for cutting fabric.

I am glad you still have some rock in your life.

eclectic said...

Now bring them all out here and we'll take them up on actual rocks!

Happy Birthday, Max! You (and your brothers) are doing a great job of making a dad outta Bill.

for a different kind of girl said...

'Cute' comes after 'letting them soar' and just before 'farts and/or puking' in the Daddy Blogger index, so really, I think you're right on track!

MD Life said...

You Are a great father and have cute child, Happy Fathers Day and Welcome back on bloging.
Thank You for sharing.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Daddy blogger. Pssssshh. Be whatever you want to be -- I like you best that way! :)

Happy birthday to Max and happy Father's Day to you!



PS: eclectic isn't kidding -- they have some incredible rock climbing!

SciFi Dad said...

Happy Birthday, Max, and Happy Father's Day, William.

For the record, sentimentality is overrated.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Happy birthday to Max, and yes Happy Father's day to you Bill.

Cool idea on the rock climbing too. Looks like a lot of fun.

DGB said...

Woah, rock on kid!

(Pun kinda intended but not at the expense of how impressed I truly am.)