Friday, December 05, 2008

Naming the baby

People are asking Lauren and I if we have decided on a name for the baby. Our answer is and was with Maxfield and Wyatt, "We are not telling." Or I tell them we are leaning towards d'Artagnan*, Dart for short, from the Three Musketeers but Lauren needs some convincing.

When we were expecting Maxfield, the name we originally thought to give him was Westley. We made the mistake of telling my Mom, who then rolled her eyes and told us she did not like that name.

"Wesley?" She asked.

"No. Westley."

"Wesley? Wesley? Oh I don't like that." She said.

"Why?"

"It makes me think of Wesley Snipes and I don't like him." She said.

I explained to her the name Westley was from the Princess Bride. Which then made her chuckle and roll her eyes some more. I think she confused the character with Andre the Giant. The conversation ruined the name for us and we went with our second choice. After Maxfield was born and we told her his name. When she heard the name Maxfield, I think at that time, she started to prefer Westley. We explained the inspiration behind the name was Maxfield Parrish, the early 1900s painter, which caused her to giggle. Of course, as with all grandmothers, after meeting him, she was fine with his name.

When Lauren was pregnant with Wyatt, we kept his name a secret. We did not want anyone to ruin the name for us. Wyatt's name is inspired from N.C. and Andrew Wyeth. But since we did not want everyone thinking the kid could not pronounce his name, or that he had a speech problem, we went with Wyatt.

This next baby's name we are keeping a secret as well. It will be inspired though. Most of my family thinks I am weird for giving my kids names that have meaning to my wife and I.

The other day we were at my Mom's house and she asked us about names. We told her the ones that we ruled out and she rolled her eyes and scoffed at our choices. Basically making fun of our choices. As she was talking I remembered a story my dad told me about the night my mom went into labor with their second child, my brother Dennis.

My mom and dad were driving to the hospital and and the song Monday, Monday by the Mama's and the Papas, came on the radio. It also just happened to be a Monday. My mom turned to my dad and said something to the extent of, "Oh Skip, this is a sign. If this baby is a girl we have to name her Monday."

My father usually ended the story by saying "I never prayed so hard for a boy in all my life. I think I prayed so hard for a boy that is why the next 7 were boys."

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm kinda fond of Homer...

Rachel said...

So ... what made her decide on Dennis then? You'd think he'd be named Papa or something of the sort ... haha!

I love your baby names and I can't wait to hear the new one.

It should be Meltzer. Then Brad would HAVE to love you.

Anonymous said...

We considered naming the last one Zane (as in, Zane Grey) but my best friend said that was too zanie. Sometimes I think I should have had more kids so I could really get into this naming business.

H said...

I think you should do a poll on here and let us decide. We wouldn't make fun...honest.


teeheehee

Anonymous said...

I agree with you and Lauren, keep it a secret. It's your child and you shouldn't have people, even family, making fun.

Just make sure it's not a name that will allow the child to get beat up over, okay!

Fulton Quads said...

I LOVE the names you have for your sons! I can't wait to find out the new babies name! Cathy

Charity Donovan said...

I have been wondering what you guys had for options! Can't wait to find out...I'm sure it will fit the peanut perfectly as do the previous names!

Anonymous said...

Since Josh and his brother Steve Goldberg gave their boys very Irish first names (Quinn and Logan), I think you should claim a very Hebrew name to balance things out. Melchizedek Meakim just rolls off the tongue.

(Tell your mom about this one, and she can roll her eyes . . . and then any choice will be better. Dig?)

Bogart said...

I am partial to Cornicopia for a girl, but nobody will let me do it...I have been threatened.

For a boy I do like Shadrach (Shad for short), but Claire says NO!!!

----
My nephew's name cost me $1000. My sister was going to name him Corbin...I told her no, she can't do that to him. He would get beaten up by guys like me for a name like that. It would be really hard for him the rest of his life...they were set on it. I offered them a $1000 college scholarship if they picked something else...his name?

Samuel James.

SamJam is going to college...and Uncle Bogart is helping to pay the bill.

tricki_nicki said...

Oh...I LOVE the name Wesley.

We didn't tell anyone my third's name either...after naming two boys and everyone giving me their ding danged opinion, I'd HAD it!!

So, I hear ya' friend, don't tell!!

Anonymous said...

William, your fans here are such ASS-Kissers!!!! By the way, Cole, I already suggested Melchior. He would get the same nickname as Melchizedek. I rather like the name Cole myself. How bout them apples? I already know that the name is Walter. Every other turn of the century painter-sculptor is named Walter. How could you not? Walter Ufer,Walter Inglas Anderson,Walter Tandy Murch,Walter Dismez. "Meltzer Me---- met a magician making magic in Manhatten"

Anonymous said...

I roll my eyes in pure fun! But I'm glad to know it makes an impression:) momo9

eclectic said...

Name-shmame... he's the third baby. He'll be lucky if you even remember to take photos. ;)

JP said...

How about Kalvin Elvin? You can call him Kal-El for short...

Practically Joe said...

After twin girls, my wife and I really thought our baby-to-be was a boy and we had the name Carlo picked out.
In the end our third was a girl.
We named her Carla.

Anonymous said...

I don't help out with names anymore.
My best friend was trying to think of a good Welsh name for her baby.
I said I JUST loved the name Owen. I persisted with Owen... and why didn't she like it?
She looked me in the face and said...because of our last name. If we name him Owen, he will be Owen Moore! Then I got it.

Loved Eclectic's comment. So true.

James (SeattleDad) said...

I love your approach. I like the name West, but the Mrs. thinks West Austin sounds too much like a part of the city. I hadn't thought of it like Westly though. That's very cool since The Princess Bride is such a great film.

We also considered Huxley after the author, but were not brave enough to pull the trigger.

Anonymous said...

I love your boys' names -- uncommon, but not bizarre. Uncommon is distinctive; bizarre invites bullying.
Hmm, wondering if you're going with another artist's name -- Auguste, Claude, Vincent -- I know they're not of your preferred genre. We liked Vincent for a boy, but that was from the TV show, "Beauty and the Beast," with Linda Hamilton. Walter (a la anonymous) is not a bad name -- Walt, for short. That was on our list, too, because of family connections.

OMG, I swear, my word verification is TRIBILI !! Are you going to try Billy?

Charlotte in Pa said...

Totally naming this one Pablo, aren't you?

Anonymous said...

We are creating an entire generation of sales reps, district managers and claims adjuster with the names of artists, writers and geographic locations.

kimmyk said...

wow i didnt know you were having another baby.
just wow.

and congrats!

Ern said...

Well, we named our dog after a motorcycle, so your mom should be counting her blessings.

(Not that a dog is a person. I know that. Srsly.)

sun4bella said...

I'm an avid reader of your blog...but I've never commented. I had to today though, because I live in a small mid-western town and there are only about 2500 in our COUNTY! There is a little boy that lives here and his name IS d'Artagnan!!!!! I chuckle every time I hear it!

Ali said...

What about Brobee, Muno, or Plex??

Anonymous said...

Westley....*sigh*

Princess Bride....*sigh*

I LOVE the name Westley. Now I'll have to hope to get pregnant and have a boy!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Quinn is an Irish name, but I think it works out since his mother is Irish. Plus we liked him having a name that would be unique among people he knows (not 17 Quinns in his class each year) but not so unusual that nobody has heard of it.

We also kept the name secret because we did not want any opinions from people changing the thought or the way we felt about it. Just as you said happened with Wyatt, associating the name directly with the child when they first see him is much different than hearing the name in a more abstract discussion.

Anonymous said...

I think it's wonderful that you choose names that mean something to you. Your children will love to hear the story of their names someday.

Anonymous said...

a few days after I read this post I started reading a book, "Remember When" by Nora Roberts. One of the main characters is named Maxfield with references to Parrish. Then in the second part of the book there is a character named Westley.

Unknown said...

Hehe. Alexander, our little one, was inspired by Alexander Hamilton the great father of American conservatism. Nobody seems to believe us when we say that!

Ali said...

Just went to observe a kindergarten class this morning and one of the boys was named Westley. Of course, there was also a Zelbee, so put that on your list!

Bogart said...

Did you see that Andrew Wyeth died last week?

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/21911