Monday, July 21, 2008

Plagiarism

My next door neighbor is a good a guy. Although we are a generation or two apart, I enjoy his company. We help each other out with various home projects. Like, if I need a precision cut of wood or some advice regarding a specific tool or assistance with an analytical problem I ask him for help. If he needs something heavy carried, he asks me.

One day I was helping him move some equipment to his backyard which he needed to landscape the area around his pool and perfectly cared for garden railway. He explained that he needed to do something or other to the pool because his homeowner insurance required the change.

"So I have to reface this area." He explained.

"Why?" I asked.

"Well the insurance company considers this" he said pointing to the pool and railway, "an attractive nuisance."

Following the comedy trail and the perfect set up I said, "Oh, just like my wife."

He laughed.

A couple of weeks later, Lauren, my neighbor, and I were chatting and he was explaining to Lauren the changes he made. He used the phrase 'attractive nuisance' again. He stopped himself and told Lauren about the joke I made, which I already told her.

He turned to me and said, "I use that joke all the time now with my family or friends."

We laughed.

I was kind of happy that he was using some of my material. But after thinking about it for a bit, I have to wonder if he is telling his family and friends that his wife is an 'attractive nuisance' or is he saying that he thinks Lauren is the 'attractive nuisance'.

16 comments:

Patience said...

I think all wives are attractive nuisances. It's our job.

Anonymous said...

Take my wife...please.

Bogart said...

Either way, somebody is HOT!

eclectic said...

I'd say Lauren's attractive, and you're probably the nuisance. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'd be happy with just 'attractive' and anything else added onto the end of it!

Anonymous said...

See, once your material is in the public domain, you have no say over how it's used.

Unknown said...

This makes me a huge nerd, but I am currently studying for the bar exam in PA and we actually have to know the doctrine of attractive nuisance. I appreciate your usage much more than the bar examiners. Be home soon can't wait to see you!

Jason Roth said...

Of course he's telling everyone that his wife's an "attractive nuisance." Aren't they all?

Maddy said...

Hmm, curious, but sometimes we don't want to know the answer.
Cheers

Anonymous said...

Heh, good one. I wish I had your clever wit.

Anonymous said...

HA! Does it matter? Your published, dude? And probably getting the poor guy a acouple laughs... though... was his wife laughing? Or Lauren?

Unknown said...

Hee hee!

The Maid said...

Better than being an unattractive nuisance.

I think my husband considers me to be of the Lauren type...he always calls me Sally.

Especially when I'm ordering everything on the side.

Sigh.
The Maid

Practically Joe said...

Well if you start to notice your neighbor's family and friends pointing at your wife and whispering to each other ... it's a safe bet he was talking about her.

Unknown said...

Just had a thought - Maybe Lauren is the ATTRACTIVE part, and YOU... well... ;)

Anonymous said...

That is precisely the term we use in the insurance industry. We refer to trampolines and playsets that way as well.

Hope he got all set up to the insurance company's liking.