Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Class of 88-20 Year reunion?

Twenty years ago, around this time of the year, I graduated from high school. I was recently with some friends (friends from high school, yes 90% of my friends today are from my high school years.) and we were discussing the 20 year reunion. Were we going to have one? Were we not? Who would we want to see? Etc. Etc.

I am not sure how all this works but in my junior year I ran for one of the officer positions for class council for my senior year. I clearly remember that one of the "responsibilities" of being an officer was to be part of the planning committee for the reunions. I lost the election. I was not popular enough. I may have been upset at the time but now, 20 years later, I am so glad I lost.

One of the people that was elected as an officer was my friend Susan (who comments here occasionally as Tori Spelling). She was popular. Now, 20 years later she is trying to back out of her responsibilities of organizing the reunion. She, of course, is blaming Albie, John R and Cindy Z who were the other officers elected. I am not sure if they were even the other officers but she throws Albie in there, because I think she understands that for some unknown reason he is "Newman" to my Jerry Seinfeld.

I just want her to realize that 20 years ago, when she was elected, she took on a responsibility and she should follow through on that promise or pledge. I am sure she is bogged down with her other duties to the French Club (she was the President) and the Academic Decathlon.

All the talk about the reunion made me pull out the year book.


Then: I was very vain about my dark dark hair. Now: I am very vain about my salt and pepper hair. Then: I made the yearbook. I was not voted as "Most Likely to Succeed" or "Most Athletic" but part of the great distinction of "Cutest Couple". Now: I am part of the "hottest" couple. Lauren makes up most of the percentage of the hotness.
Then: I played football. I made the year book. That is me, # 20, dry humping Steve W. after a touchdown. You would think they would have used a different picture. I think this would have worked better as the "Cutest Couple." Now: The only football player I would dry hump would be Ladainian Tomlinson and only if he scored four TDs in a game and he was on my Fantasy Football Team. Then: I performed a Rap on our Senior Class Trip as part of the talent show. Now: I struggle to remember nursery rhymes for my kids.
Then: Meeting my friends at 7-11 to get Slurpees on our way to the prom. Now: We occasionally meet for beers but we never wear tuxedos's and actually try to avoid situations where we have to wear a tux.
This picture represents the start of my interest in writing. All seniors, as part of their English requirements, had a to write a senior speech. Mine was selected to be presented at one of the graduation services. Then: This is me after I gave my speech at the Baccalaureate Service. The speech was about super heroes and so, toward the end of my presentation I ripped off my shirt to reveal that I was actually Superman. Now: I still wear superhero shirts but they are stretched way too far across my mid-section.

I know that some of my friends from high school read this blog. For those that do, call Susan, tell her she has to keep her commitment to the class of 88. Everyone else, I would like to use my comment section as a petition for Susan and the other class officers to get the reunion going.



29 comments:

Teri said...

Bill, you're still cute to this day but DAMN, you were a hottie back then.

And yes, she should fulfill her duties, even 20 years later.

Great pictures!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I would definitely have gone to my reunion if my school sent the seniors to the Marina Bar for a class trip...now that's a great High School.

Yaniv said...

Holy crap - MAC atm's! Makes me want to break out my old Bon Jovi CD's.

Jody said...

I want your high school. Mine sucked. My 20 year reunion is next year. I haven't been to one yet... SHould probably think about going, huh?

PS You were a serious hottie back in the day. :) And all this time I thought the kids got their looks from Lauren. :)

Anonymous said...

I was gonna tell Susan to honor her commitment, but hell, she's busy. Bill, now is your opportunity to SHOW THOSE MFers that you were worthy of their votes back in the day. Put on your MFin' superhero shirt and organize the reunion! I can even hook you up with some bouncy ponies for the shindig...

Unknown said...

Susan, I met you, right? You seem like a reasonable, intelligent, and fun-loving person. Do your duty! Server your fellow classmates! Who doesn't love a great party? I'm rather annoyed at my class officers, who missed the 5 year, planned a 7 year instead, and used that as an excuse to skip the 10 year and 15 year!

K said...

I wasn't even an officer and helped my best bud, class pres, plan and carry out the 5, 10 and 15 year reunions. Although if your class is like mine, they're a bunch of ingrates that don't appreciate a damned thing you do for them any way, so maybe don't worry about it, Susan.

We held a mini-reunion for #18 2 weeks ago, with people we liked....in VEGAS. Maybe do that.

Anonymous said...

Why did you black out Bob's face in the other half of the cutest couple picture?

Anonymous said...

Also,

Steve W recommends you wear a cup when you play football.

Patience said...

Susan, you simply MUST fulfil your responsibility to plan and carry out a way awesome 20 year reunion. It is required!!

Bill,
Great - I mean GREAT - hs pics!

Ern said...

Great old pictures! Ah, the 80s. Such an attractive decade.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure who planned my 10th, but I know that the 20th was planned by folks who weren't all class officers. AND IT WAS FUN!! So go help Susan and get 'er done (the reunion, that is)!!

I see that Susie is still in her MF phase ;)

Jason Roth said...

I'm definitely not going to my 20 year reunion. It's four years away. I only occasionally speak to about three people that I knew from high school. That includes my twin brother. The rest I can care less about.

Anonymous said...

# 20 should run the 20th reunion! Let the other numbers handle the other re-unions.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you broke off that cutest couple thing. Gigglepotamus is blazing.

Anonymous said...

I think Cha Cha Gregorio should run the re-union

Teri said...

My 20th was four years ago. I didn't go. I talk to no one from high school.

*sigh*

Anonymous said...

that's funny. Because I've been connecting with friends from HS through Facebook, I was just looking at my old yearbooks (17 years ago I graduated) and found that I was in there just a few times in 3 years (we had just 10th, 11th, 12th for highschool) and found that one of my greatest "achievements" in the yearbook was "Crosscountry superstar" (I ran) and "best legs all around". Whew. What I had to live up to. Life should be easy. I havent made it to a reunion and am scared to!

The Maid said...

So was that anonymous post from Lauren? Pretty sneaky...blazing hot Gigglepotamous. :)

I love it.

By the way...nothing says 80's like a perm and big bangs! Ahhh...I remember the aroma of aquanet in the girls bathroom! :0)

The Maid

JP said...

I was class of 87. I wince when they play the "classics" on the radio...Thompson Twins, Expose, Flock of Seagulls, Duran Duran, Big Country, Genesis, Richard Marx and all the others... Makes me want to break out my Miami Vice outfits again... Almost...

Sue said...

Oh the reunion. My 20th was in a bar that was like a truck stop. AND the ingrate popular kids didn't even buy out the whole place so random drunk people kept cruisin through our party. We put a tag on one of them (he had no front tooth and smelled of spearamint) that said the name of this popular kid who wasn't there that night.
Glad to see that we have grown up. You should help her plan the reunion. Maybe you can avoid the drunk guy from the trucker bar. Or perhps just make sure you wear your football uniform and make a night of it.

Anonymous said...

I miss You William

Anonymous said...

By the way,

# 20 was experiencing an "after Steve W scoregasm"

joanna said...

Have you seen "The Ring"? The last picture is an eery reminder of that movie. . .
(Did I spell eery right?)

Anonymous said...

All of that while being my fabulous godfather. Impressive!

Anonymous said...

This is going to sound SO weird, but I just spent about 20 mins (of time I don't have) looking at a guy from my high school Facebook page. He put in excess of 100+ pics of himself (and others on it). It dawned on me yesterday while looking at his high school pics that he looked a lot like you did (and explains why I think you're nice looking as I always thought he was cute).

My 20th reunion will be next year, assuming we have one. I went to the 10 year and it was weird. A lot of "confessions" (was it the alcohol talking? I'm sure it was) were made to me and I walked away thinking "HUH? How could I have not known?!?"

I'm signing this as anon in case that guy from Facebook finds this. I'd be embarrassed to see him next year if he knew I thought he was cute. Heh.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me that its my 20 year reunion also.

Thanks, thanks alot.

Anonymous said...

holy crap - that's my mom standing behind bob and my boyfriend of the time, md, standing behind ch in the cool sunglasses in the baccalaureate photo. this is a sure sign that there will be a reunion, and I will attend it.

Anonymous said...

"That is me, # 20, dry humping Steve W. after a touchdown. You would think they would have used a different picture. I think this would have worked better as the "Cutest Couple."

That cracked my shit up.

We would totally have hung out in high school.