Friday, November 02, 2007

Winning the neighbors over one door at a time

“Trick or Treat?” Maxfield said as the lady opened the door.

“Well don’t you look cute.” The lady said as she handed him some candy.

The lady was in her mid to late-something's.

“Hi.” I said. “I’m Bill. I just moved in four houses down. This is Max.”

“Oh, new neighbors, how nice.” She stepped out onto the porch and I shook her hand.

“Yes we live in the house with the blue shutters.”

“Okay. Next to the Jones’?”

“Yes.”

“Welcome to the neighborhood.” She rested the candy bowl against her hip and appeared to settle-in for a conversation. “I was wondering who moved in. You should really like it here. It is a great location. Where are you from?”

Just then the woman’s dogs came to door and I could see them through the glass door. I recognized the dogs from numerous walks through the neighborhood.

“I grew up in this area, but we moved out of town and now we moved back.”

“Oh where did you live before?” She asked as one of the dogs started barking. “Casey, quiet down.” She scolded the dog.

“I recognize your dogs. I met them last week while your husband was out walking them.”

She was silent for a moment.

“Uh….That was my Father.” She said quietly.

“Oh.”

“Goodnight.” She said.

29 comments:

Patience said...

But . . . did she at least give Max some candy?!?

"Mid to late-something" I truly hate that women age and men just get better looking.

Teri said...

ah, the friendships are starting on a good note........

Kami said...

Nice. WTG, dude.

Toni said...

Open mouth...Insert foot. Yikes!

Jenny said...

I'm so sorry. Yikes.

Chris Cactus said...

Hard to walk with that foot in your mouth, huh? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, geez. If you get another chance, you say, "Of course you're too young to be married to him! I thought you were a trophy wife." That's all I got. God help you.

Ern said...

People are so touchy!

Michelle said...

Ouch. I guess that's the last time Lauren lets you out.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I find it painful to read your blog. I physically hurt for you w/ those closing comments. Ouch.

Anonymous said...

bill.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you and my husband attended the same charm school. We call it Fatlip's School of Charm.
But...how were you to know?

Anonymous said...

p.s. when will momo9 start commenting here again, now that y'all've moved out?! she was the (second) best thing about your blog! ;)

MrsDoF said...

As a woman in the mid-something age, I usually get away with saying "oh, I recognize the dogs from their walks with the Mister" (depending on how much my memory might be grasping, I can say 'the lady' or 'the missus' for certain situations)
The listener can put any relationship she wants on that title.

We have a couple in our church where the wife got married when she was 24 and the husband is only ONE YEAR younger than her father. They've learned to take it all in stride, but their now-teenage daughters are embarrassed.
It is so easy to get the eyeroll from teenagers, tho.

It seems you've been on the receiving end of an eyeroll quite often since you moved into the new place.
I do love your stories, so keep 'em comin'.

MrsDoF

Idaho Dad said...

I say stuff like that all the time. Our neighbors run and hide when they see me coming.

eclectic said...

Hey, at least you didn't ask when her baby was due...

Gale said...

How were you to know??? At least you didn't ask her when the baby was due, did you?
I am afraid that you are suffering from foot in mouth disease. This is can only be treated with a block party for your neighbors, better budget it for it. Sorry

OhTheJoys said...

Too bad you hadn't said you were from Appalachia.

Effie said...

that's better than having your husband called your father....

Nilbo said...

I was a substitute teacher this week at a school where my daughter teaches. The kids (Junior High) asked if I was Ms. Ling's husband.

I said yes.

josetteplank.com said...

Did you ask her if she was pregnant, too?

And a transvestite?

Lol!

Spilling Ink said...

Haha! Way to buddy up to the neighbors!

BOSSY said...

Oy. Got your foot all up in it, Bossy sees.

Anonymous said...

I've got nothing. You're on your own...

Creative-Type Dad said...

I'm surprised she didn't have the dog attack

iheartchocolate said...

yeah, way to make friends Bill.

I love the stuff you post.

The Egel Nest said...

ouch....very funny...why can't we just walk through life with our mouths closed...


Bradley
The Egel Nest

Anonymous said...

Man. Old people can be so touchy.

Nadine said...

Ouch!!