Thursday, December 14, 2006

Geek

One weekend, a while back, I received a phone call on my cell. I could see from the caller ID that it was from one of my co-workers Ben White’s house.

I answered in my usual manner, “Hi, this is Bill.”

I was surprised to hear a woman’s voice. “Yes. Hi. I need help with my home computer.” She said.

I found this to be a strange request because I am somewhat of an idiot when it comes to computers and the fact that I have never spoken to Ben’s wife before. “Uh. Okay.”

She could tell from my hesitation that maybe she called the wrong number. “Well, This is the Geek Squad, right?” She asked.

“Excuse me?” I replied.

“I am looking for the Geek Squad.”

I was perplexed. “This is Bill. I work with your husband.”

She hesitated, “Oh, I am so sorry. I was looking for the Geek Squad.”

“Well I am sorry. I wish I could help you.”

She started to chuckle, “Oh you see, Ben wrote down a few numbers on a piece of paper and next to this one, he wrote Geek."

I laughed myself. “So now I know how your husband really feels about me. He thinks I'm a geek.” I said jokingly.

She was caught off guard. “Oh no. There is another number under the word Geek. That must be the one to the Geek Squad.”

“Riiiight.” I said sarcastically.

“No. Really. I am sorry I bothered you.”

“That’s okay. I am just glad it does not say ASSHOLE next to my name.”


Which, now that I think about it, it probably does now.

16 comments:

Katie said...

LOL! That is hilarious!

sc@vp said...

brilliant.

sc@vp said...

brilliant.

sc@vp said...

dammit - Blogger kept asking me to enter word verification!

grrrr ....

lawnwhisperer said...

Bill,
They were right to call you a geek.

Effie said...

Hahaha! What would have been funnier is if she continued to ask you the question (and you had answered) without asking if it was the Geek Squad!


That's just TOO funny!

Anonymous said...

Is Ben White's wife hot?

Anonymous said...

That would be awesome if it said Chippendale next to your name.

Anonymous said...

William,
Come on you just wrote "hint hint nudge nudge...."
"Help with my computer" is code word for "You looked hot at the Company Christmas party."

Lauren should be thankful to have such a loyal and faithful husband

Platypus said...

As always you made me laugh - the poor woman must have been mortified!

Anonymous said...

Uh, yeah. Do most people randomly call numbers off of lists? I find this odd.

Unknown said...

When will you EVER learn that the immediate victims of your jokes never get them...even though all of US find them hilarious.

eclectic said...

Did you tell Ben the next day at work?? 'Cause I would totally expect you to bust his chops about writing "geek" next to your number. ;)

Anonymous said...

You're such a geek.

Nuthin' but love, William. Nuthin' but love.

Slinger said...

That is hilarious.

Unknown said...

That is the funniest thing I have read in a while!