Monday, April 04, 2011

Chicken and Fries

Whenever we go out to eat as a family, no matter where we go, my kids get the same thing; chicken and fries. There is the rare occasion that Max will ask for a hot dog (for which he then destroys by putting ketchup on it. Who in their right mind puts ketchup on a hot dog?) but for the most part the kids ask for some type of chicken nuggets and French fries.

Not that we go out to eat that often, but you would think that over the years my kids would either be sick of nuggets or they would be nugget connoisseurs. They are neither. But I will say that my kids do prefer some restaurant's nuggets over others. When it comes to fast food joints my kid's least favorite nugget place was Burger King. "Too spicy" Wyatt would say every time he tried the crown shaped chicken. I think part of the problem was that the breading on the chicken had specks of pepper which made Wyatt think they were too spicy to begin with.

The problem with the kids not liking the BK chicken nuggets is that they absolutely love the BK play area. Where we live, there is almost an inverse relationship of nugget taste to play place awesomeness. My kids like Wendy's nuggets, but there is no play area. Micky D's chicken is okay but the play place is just okay. Chick Fil-A same as Mickey Ds.  Burger King, which is my favorite fast food place to go because I like their burgers and I think they have the best tasting chicken sandwiches, has the best play area around but my kids do not like their chicken nuggets. (Side note regarding BK's original chicken sandwiches-I started eating Burger King Chicken sandwiches when I was in high school. I still remember telling my friend Susan how much I loved them and she responded with the the typical smart ass "Why don't you marry them." I dreamt of a Burger King commercial of me marrying a white dressed, veil covered, chicken sandwich.)

I know, I know, I should not take my kids to a fast food restaurant let alone let them play on the equipment. I am a horrible parent, I know.  But I will say that the kid's play area in the BK by my house is awesome. Lauren and I actually get to have a 10, maybe 15,  minute conversation over dinner without being interrupted by one the kids.

Last week I received an email from the PR firm that works for Burger King. The email stated that Burger King has new chicken tenders that they wanted me to try, or have my kids try. They offered me a $20 gift card to buy the nuggets and review them. It had been a while since Lauren and I had a 15 minute uninterrupted conversation over dinner and I took Burger King up on their offer. We went last Thursday.

Wyatt ate the chicken tenders. They were not too spicy. I had my chicken sandwich. Lauren and I had our conversation (although I was picturing a chicken sandwich talking to me). I tried a couple of the new chicken tenders, and I can't tell if they are better then the old ones because I was not doing a direct comparison. They were good as far as nuggets go.  I was just happy that Wyatt ate his dinner. I think Burger King did the right thing by switching their nuggets. Their new Chicken Tenders just seem more appealing.

Burger King has given me three other $20 dollar gift card to give to three readers. Leave me a comment and tell me what food would you marry. I will randomly draw three winners to send a Burger King Gift Card. Please make sure you leave a valid way to get into to contact with you.


Contest is now closed. 4-8-11

42 comments:

Queen of Dishing said...

While boring, I would marry good old Kraft Mac and Cheese-I'm dieting right now and it's not on the diet-sigh!

Leenie said...

Max and Erma's used to have a Portabello Mushroom sandwich that was served with this garlic cheese spread. It was crave worthy. I would have married that (they don't serve it anymore :().

Anonymous said...

Angel hair and pepperoni from the Willow

Jim k said...

I would have to say wings

mrtl said...

How do you eat hotdogs? Weirdo.

Susie said...

I would marry a crab. (Oh wait, some days it seems I already did.)

Kendall said...

I would marry Steak n Shake's chili! Top it with shredded Cheese and lots of oyster crackers...yum!

Meegs said...

I would marry sushi... Mmmm. Specifically salmon sushi. <3

Tori Spelling (aka Susan) said...

As sound as I still believe my recommendation to be, and as much as I would have LOVED to attend a wedding of you and a BK original chicken sandwich, I can honestly say that Lauren was a much more practical choice for a wife.

subaruthie said...

I would marry potstickers.

Unknown said...

I would marry cookies. I have 2 kids & we make a lot of cookies. I haven't met one I didn't like - yet!

SciFi Dad said...

It seems I have to be the first: BACON.

Me said...

The 49er sandwich at The Best Little Sandwich Shop! Yummy

Alisha said...

I love food posts.

I would marry McNuggets. Hands Down. Every time.

Also, the original BK Chicken Sandwhich is the most amazing chicken sandwhich on the planet. I miss that they don't cut diagonally in half anymore :(

Lynn said...

We just went to BK this weekend which reminded me of my one craving I had when I was pregnant - BK double cheeseburgers. It was always delicious and delightful. I'd marry it.

Marin D said...

I love BK's original chicken tenders. Once they started changing the shape it went down hill. My parents weren't fans of BK so I only got them when I had to babysit and my dad would take me to get something to eat before I got picked up. Yum.

Anyhow, I think I'd marry pizza. I just love pizza. I can eat pizza anytime. I think I will get some for lunch.

Idaho Dad said...

I would marry chips and salsa. It's the only food I can continuously eat without ever worrying if I'm full or not.

Unknown said...

I totally would marry pickles. I LOVE them. Even the juice is yummy! A hamburger loaded with pickles is so yummy!

Kelley (lemondrop1028@verizon.net) said...

We have a semi-local chain of sub shops here in DE called Capriotti's and they make a fantastic (real) roast turkey sub. I'd marry it.

Victoria said...

I would marry steak on the bar b que

Charity Donovan said...

I would marry a bath of Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake....mmmmmmmmm!

charityd AT centurytel DOT net

stephanie said...

Anything chocolate. I would eat the sh-t out of it every day too. Something most men, I am assuming, would love to hear their wives say!!

Mama D said...

Milky Way bars. I loved them before, but when I was pregnant with my little guy, I quite literally ate one every day during my second trimester (luckily for him and my waistline, I didn't have much appetite beyond that...). I still have this Pavlovian response to the logo.

for a different kind of girl said...

We just got back from having dinner at a place that I WISH would have been a BK (seriously...the place here that's NOT BK sucks), and, per usual, my youngest noshed on some nuggets and fries, only these nuggets were 'fancy' as they were referred to as 'strips' Oooolala!

Anyway, after dinner, as we were conversing, I turned to the child and asked what he'd enjoyed for school lunch earlier today. "Chicken nuggets," he replied. "Let me get this straight. You had chicken nuggets at lunch and you just had chicken nuggets again for dinner?!" "Those were strips, mom, and besides, the school's nuggets suck!"

But he ate them anyway because my kid is crazy for the chicken. Cluckin' crazy!

But where were we? Oh, yes. What food would I marry. Peanut M&Ms. Those things give me a gut ache like nobody's business, but the pain is totally worth it. I'd marry those things fast. Heck, even if they didn't want to marry me, I'd roll around with them for fun and not even feel guilty. Gut ached, but definitely not guilty.

Anonymous said...

I'd marry the tempura green beans at PF Changs. I'm drooling just thinking about them.

Meredith said...

I would marry the Onion Rings from Culver's.

Or the chocolate chip cookies from McDonald's

The Absence of Alternatives said...

Anytime anybody criticizes you for feeding your kids fast food, just point at me and you will always have a fall guy at the bottom. We recently tied the BK nuggets because we saw the commercial (yes we are mindless sheep...) I got 2o pieces b/c I saw the sign that said $4 for 20 (see above) They did not taste as good as the McD ones. They were not even hot. Now I am thinking there is variance between each location. THIS discovery just makes fast food decision even more complicated. Thanks a lot.

Michelle said...

I'd marry soft pretzels with Gulden's spicy mustard. Not the hard, crusty, sitting out under the lights for too long kid, but the fresh, soft and just the right amount of salt kind. Dipped in plenty of the mustard. Must be Gulden's spicy. That plain yello stuff isn't mustard, it's off-colored ketchup.
And yes, ketchup on a hot dog should be outlawed.

Melissa A. said...

Hardees Frisco Burger.

Anonymous said...

Hershey dark or light,
In heaven with every bite!
Dark Ghiardelli raspberry squares,
One, and I have no cares.
Dove solid dark,
Makes me sing like a lark.
A proposal by any of these,
would make my heart pleased.
A life without stress,
I would surely say YES!

the other amy m said...

Once I was at the drive thru window at BK & asked for their 6 piece chicken nuggets. They said "we don't have chicken nuggets". I was absolutely baffled & expressed my surprise. "What? No chicken nuggets? I don't understand." The faceless person confirmed no again. Basically, the face was being an ass, because he then advised "but, we do have chicken tenders". I have to say, I was mad & let the guy know. This was a long time ago & they definitely do not compare to Mc'D's.

I do love the BK original chicken sandwich though - fell in love with it about 6 months ago. It's kind of addictive unfortunately. Did you like it when they were doing the buy one get one free promotion a few months ago? It was hard to say no to the second, but I just can't fit 2 in my belly.

Unknown said...

I think I might marry Oreo cookies, if asked on bended knee. :)

Unknown said...

OOPS. I wrote on my mom's account... I'd be the one to marry a sweet talkin' Oreo.

The Woman Undone said...

I'd marry cinnamon rolls. No hands down!!!

Anonymous said...

You sir should be commended on your impeccable taste! Ketchup should never be on a hotdog! I thought that was just a chicago thing, you can start a fight in a dog joint by asking for ketchup, some places don't EVEN have it. I would marry http://www.superdawg.com/
Yummolicious!! If you are ever in the chicago area, I will take you to dinner!
~cheri

Shadefarm said...

Oh, I will have to go with Pepperoni Pizza. We have a local Pizza place that chops up their pepperoni and it is quite yummy.

AMG said...

If asked on bended knee I would say yes to the BK orginal chicken sandwich and BTW I still get mine cut on the diagonal. Remember, at BK you can get it your way. :)

Unknown said...

Jack in the box jalapeno poppers.
No, pizza, yes chicken and artichoke pizza on a cracker crust.
Wait...
What about ice cream?

I can't be faithful to just one craving, can I just stay single and play the field?

MommaTMac said...

I would definitely marry Nutella!

Jewlzy said...

I would marry a small cheeseburger with swiss, mushrooms and sauteed onions from Five Guys.

PS. Those chicken sandwiches from BK are awesome and i started eating those in high school, too. If i broke it off with Five Guys, i might marry one of those after a while.

BKP said...

Do you have a winner yet??!!
I would marry Bleu Cheese. And so would my husband.

Yes, lots of other things I would have to date to see if they were marrying material, but I know without a doubt, I would always go back to bleu.

Ricky said...

I would marry cheese. No question. Cheese isthe love of my life.