Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Lucky Numbers

I started playing organized sports at about the same time I found out I was evil because I was left handed. When my T-ball coach, while handing out our uniforms, asked me what number I wanted to be, I told him thirteen. I explained that I was an evil lefty, who was born on 666 and my favorite color was black and that 13 would be a perfect number for me. My dad just shook his head and handed me the number thirteen jersey. I was a very Goth-y eight year old.

Number 13 has stuck with me ever since. Sure, I was on certain teams where I could not be #13, but for the most part, when I got to pick what number I wanted, I always went with thirteen. My second choice was 6 due to the whole 666 thing.

I am coaching Maxfield's T-ball team. One of the perks of being the coach is that Maxfield gets first choice on his number. I asked what was his favorite number and he said 2068. I then asked him what number would he want between 1 and 10 and he picked 9. Not that Max knows this but #9 was his Godfather's favorite number. Nine is a good number.

Tonight I am handing out the other kid's jerseys and I am a little nervous. I may be handing out numbers that will stick with these kids for life. I may be doing something that could affect them for years to come.

I know, I know you are thinking what is the big deal? It is just a number, right? Well I think differently. My favorite number,thirteen, that I picked when I was eight years old, it is a 1 and a 3. One and three are now very important numbers in my life. Lauren's birthday is March 10th, a three and a one. We were married on the 13th of the month. Max, my first born, was born March 1st, another 3 and 1.

See where I am going with this? Take the unlucky number 13 and flip it and it becomes significant in some of the most lucky things that have ever happened to me.

So tonight, when I give out these numbers to these little kids, am I going to be determining when, or where, or how their life is going to change?

Handing out their numbers is probably one of the most important things I am going to do as a coach. Right after explaining the importance of a jock strap and protective cup.

What is your lucky number? Does it have significance in your life?

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Meaks - #12 is my lucky number. My sister was #12 throughout her high school and college sports career. When she left home for JMU, I adopted it too. Besides the fact that she was a MUCH better athlete, she was my role model. And she still is after all these years.

Amanda said...

I always pick 7 as my lucky number because I was born July seventh, Seventy (well all I'll say is not '77, that would be really lucky!). My husband and first born have July birthdays too.

Michelle said...

My whole life I had tried to wear #20 or #17 when I played sports. #20 was for Mike Schmidt, #17 for no reason at all. When I went to SJU & played field hockey there, the freshman, like most teams, got the last pick of the numbers. I chose #19, as #20 & #17 were taken. There was no significance to 19; it was just available & close to my 2 favorite numbers. After my sophomore year, one of my very good friends (& your sister-in-law) graduated. She told me that there was a small tradition at SJU for Seniors to hand their numbers down to underclassmen. I was honored that she thought I was special enough to wear her number, as she was one of the best players EVER to play at SJU, leaving behind record after record. From that day on, I have been tied to the number 13. That number, like my teammate, will always hold a special place in my heart!

for a different kind of girl said...

I hover between 15 and 19. My birthday (and that of my mom and my sister) is on the 15th of a month, and I was married on a 15th. Toss in my my husband and first child being born on a 19th and there's my theories.

James (SeattleDad) said...

If I had a true 'lucky' number I wouldn't be sitting here blogging during work.

Wendy said...

wow, i now realize i have NO lucky number. or maybe 0 is? blech!

and, yes, the pressure is on to give the RIGHT number to the RIGHT kid! good luck!

Melinda said...

I haven't found a lucky number yet.
Until I do, I have to rely on my skill and brains!

SciFi Dad said...

You posted this on April 6, 2010.

Or 04/06/2010. Look at those digits:

0 + 4 + 0 + 6 + 2 + 0 + 1 + 0 = 13

I think I just wet myself.

Bogart said...

I, too, am a #13. Been my number since I was told it was unlucky...figured it would be a good way to rebel.

I know, I live on the edge.

Anonymous said...

Got to say I like #12. Born in Dec etc

Anonymous said...

My name is Forest Gump. People call me Forest Gump.

Anonymous said...

I have always favored #4. It is my favorite since childhood. My husband proposed on Jan 4th. I received my engagement ring on April 12th.(the fourth month) L.W. was born on 4/4. Now I'm favoring the number 5. Dad's favorite number. He wore it in school and wore it at Dream Week. Now his grandchildren are wearing it on their sports teams. Generation to generation. Not only the grandsons but the grandaughters as well are carrying this tradition. My screenplay will be titled Number Five. momo9

Shannon said...

Growing up, I always liked the number 2 because I was born on July 2nd.
My daughter was born at 2:22 a.m. and my son was born in February, the 2nd month o' the year.

Umm...SciFi Dad, that's just plain freaky...

sometrouble said...

Mine is also 13. It was my number in soccer, which I picked. And years later...I met my husband on the 13th of October.

Claire said...

I thought you and Bogart would both be interested to know what I discovered yesterday. Taylor Swift's lucky number is 13.

Anonymous said...

I've always been partial to #4. I now have 4 kids, all boys. I never considered it before, but my oldest was born in the 4th month.
If you ever ask me to pick a number between 1 and 10 (or even 1 and 20), there is a 99% chance I will choose #4.

Anonymous said...

There is a 100% chance that Bill is Gay

Nature Girl said...

my lucky number is also 13. It always fascinated me at a very young age (I was into ghosts and gothy stuff and aliens and crop circles and bigfoot and chupacabra...come to think of it, I still am actually) My friends always thought I was weird..(ok, they still do) because I always looked for the number 13 in elevators and that whole "no 13th floor thing" etc..anyway, my complete validation came one day when I was about 8 or 9 I was on the Ferris Wheel with my best friend at the little town fair that was the biggest thing to ever hit my hometown. We waited all day for the Ferris Wheel to open up, it was down for maintenance or something...we must've bugged the carnie for hours about it. When it was finally working, we got on and it seemed everyone got two or three evolutions before their stop came and they were made to get off. Except us. The carnie let us keep going and going and going. He even stopped us at the top for what seemed to us a very long time. We were on top of the world. When our turn finally came to get off I checked our seat number. 13. Best number EVER!

Nature Girl said...

eh..we had a tremblor again and I quit before I finished...but my birthday is 6-16. 6+6+1=13 so I kinda like my birthnumbers too.. :)

ErinL said...

8. It was a randomly assigned softball jersey number! My husband's basketball number in high school was 10. Since we started going out, we always have 8s and 10s everywhere. The locker he was assigned in grade 12 (that I made him share with me when I didn't get one) was locker number 108 and the lock we were assigned randomly to put on that locker had the combination 10-0-08. No joke!