Monday, March 08, 2010

Line Please

We are down to the wire with the show I have been rehearsing. We open this Friday March 12th and run Friday and Saturday nights for the next three weeks. The play is The Pillowman by Martin McDonagh. This is how the back of the script describes the play.

"With echoes of Stoppard, Kafka and the Brothers Grimm, The Pillowman centers on a writer in an unnamed totalitarian state who is being interrogated about the gruesome content of his short stories and their similarities to a series of child murders. The result is an urgent work of theatrical bravura and an unflinching examination of the very nature and purpose of art."

Oh and don't let the "child murders" scare you, it is also described as a black comedy.

I have been struggling with my lines.

I have a lot of lines. In the past, having a lot of lines was not that much a of a big deal. I could just take a few hours of each day, study, rehearse, study, rehearse, ad lib here, ad lib there and voi la I was done.

Now, it is not so easy. I have three kids who need my attention, I am busy with work, my wife's birthday is this week, I am coaching Tee ball, my wife is preparing for a craft show ,I have this blog to maintain and Guilder to frame for it. I am swamped. The most honest excuse I have for not knowing my lines is that I am getting old. The stuff I put in my brain just doesn't stick like it used to.

Since the kids are sacrificing their time with me, my wife is sacrificing any type of birthday celebration I would have put together, I am blowing off a Tee Ball coaches meeting, I figured I needed to sacrifice some blog time for my theatrical endeavors. I hope the anxiety nightmares I am having about this show will now stop.

Here are some other blogs for you to read while I take a short break from the Internet this week.

Tales From The Dad Side

Clark Kent's Lunchbox

Creative Type Dad

Muskrat

Luke I am Your Father

The Meanest Mom


If you live in the Philly area and want to come see the show go to http://www.actionarts.net/ for more information.

Oh and since I do not have anything for my wife's birthday please leave a happy birthday message for her in the comments.

20 comments:

Susie said...

Break a leg, Bill.
Lauren, I wish you the very happiest of birthdays. It has been, and remains, a joy, getting to know you, here and through Gigglepotamus. Have a wonderful birthday and a wonderful year. You are an amazing and inspiring woman.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Momo3

James said...

That takes cojones. No way I could learn lines right now.

Best of luck.

And happy birthday, Bill's wife.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lauren! Having a wonderful family like yours would be all the birthday celebration I would need.

Melinda said...

Get a good present, Bill. No skimping.
Break a leg...or are we not allowed to say that in your household any more?

Happy Birthday, Lauren!

Ron said...

I hope all goes smoothly for you & that your wife has a wonderful birthday.

(Thanks for the shout out)

Anonymous said...

Break a leg! Happy Birthday,Lauren!
Bill, you must give your choices full thought before you commit. Just some motherly advice. No matter where you turn, in your busy life, others depend on you.

James (SeattleDad) said...

You are a man of many talents Bill.

Happy Birthday to your lovely wife.

And thanks for directing readers my way too.

SciFi Dad said...

Happy Birthday, Mrs. Bill's wife.

Also, thanks for the linky love, senile old man. (What. It's not like you're going to remember I said that.)

Cole said...

Bill, I have faith that you'll get your lines and deliver another strong performance. I look forward to seeing the show.

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday Lauren!

you should go see a play for your birthday.

break a leg Bill.

melissa said...

I have this blog to maintain and Guilder to frame for it. I am swamped.

Awesome. Thank you.

MrsDoF said...

You will be fine in all your endeavors. Much support surrounds you -- in real life, and here at P & B.

Happy Birthday, Lauren!

When oldest son was in high school drama, at an "after play event"
one of the performers fell down some stairs and actually broke his leg.
The next evening's performance, he was on crutches.
I've never been able to read that ol' showbiz line "Break a Leg" without remembering a teenager lying in a heap and me being the first adult to get to his side for first aid.

A bit of scanning the 'Net sez the line comes from the days of vaudeville. You are not that old.

Michael from dadcation.com said...

Thanks for the shout out! Hope the show goes great.

Anonymous said...

LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kalki said...

Do you ever worry that old lines will pop out? Lines from other plays, lines you used on women at the bar...

Nah, you will be awesome! And happy birthday to Lauren!

inklenaomi said...

..and guilder to frame for it. You crack me up. Happy Birthday Lauren.

The Absence of Alternatives said...

How exciting! The play sounds intriguing & thanks for the comfort with the label Black Comedy. What's your role? Now I am absolutely intrigued. Break a leg!!!

Cat said...

Dude! So jealous of you, with your acting and whatnot! I'm sure you'll be fantastic. Break a leg... and have fun storming the castle!