Thursday, January 15, 2009

Best Ever

The best pizza I have ever had was from Domino's. I know that sounds weird, since I live in the northeast part of the country where there are thousands of pizza shops that would have better pizza than Domino's, but it is true.

It was on a Thursday, the third week of June, the summer of 1988, Ocean City NJ. I was celebrating graduating from high school by spending a week at the shore with some friends. I had blown my food budget for the week by Monday and I had only consumed beer, pretzels and maybe some chips for the past three days, when I decided to take some of my beer money and buy a pizza. Domino's was the closest place. It was real good. I think my buddy Tobes and maybe Goose would agree with me.

When Lauren gave birth to Maxfield almost 5 years ago, our neighbor dropped off a plate of Chicken Cacciatore. I do not like Chicken Cacciatore but after that first night at the hospital, when I got home, I scarfed that chicken down. One of the best meals I have ever had.

I tell the first two stories because they are about meals that came at the right moment and ones I will never forget.

Just like the next one.

Our friend Lori dropped off a Lasagna on Monday. Her kindness and generosity always surprise me. Not because she is not normally kind or generous but because she is always kind and generous and nice. She truly is one of the nicest people I know. Anyway, her Lasagna, awesome.
How do I know? Besides the fact that I ate it and it was delicious, Wyatt who does not eat anything, ever, cleaned his plate and asked for seconds. And he ate the seconds. Wyatt asking for seconds is one of the highest compliments I think a chef could get. Lori, thanks for the lasagna, I need to get the recipe.

Last week I also received one of the best baby presents I think anyone could ever get. My brother John, the LawnWhisperer, brought over a bottle of vodka and a bottle of gin. His reasoning, "You already have two other boys so you don't need clothes. Jackson is never going to remember what I got him as a gift, so I did not get toys. But you and Lauren, you guys are going to need the vodka."

LW was right. Best baby gift ever.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny that isn't it? Can't say I remember anything like that, although when the first chinese takeaway arrived in our small 'out in the sticks' town sometime in the 1970's I knew I had never tasted anything so delicious as Chicken and mushroom with fried rice!

Enjoy the presents!

Merrily Down the Stream said...

LW is a smart, smart man.

Denise @ Sunflowers, Chocolate and Little Boys said...

Good timing.....gotta love it! I love lasanga too. Your friend sounds like a keeper.

Unknown said...

William, I don't know how you came to happen upon my blog, but I am so glad to have happened upon yours. Stories about being a family of 9! now those have got to be good! Your comment under my daughter's photo was suscinct and captured exactly was she says to me over and over. "I'm living life Mom" How many of us would like that moment in time before responsibilities take over. She truly is free at this moment. Thank you again! Elizabeth

Charity Donovan said...

Try being on bedrest for weeks eating the dog food the hospital has the audacity to call people food. Being forced to consume a massive amount as well for baby growth. Uggggh...I still have nightmares. My SIL brought me AMAZING deli sandwiches & the 5 of us were always one happy bunch of "baby momma!" OK...ONE REQUEST...if you were one of those really tan (orange), really gelled spiked hair, gold chain wearing, shirtless wonders that you see at the Jersey Shore....PLEASE POST PHOTOS!!! I think those guys are hysterical!!!

Melissa said...

i want some of that lasagna...it should now by called Wyatt Lasagna.

and LW...smart man!!!

Chris Cactus said...

Damn. Now I want a big pizza and some vodka. Okay, maybe not vodka but beer.

eclectic said...

Dang, I was thinking coffee might be the best new baby gift ever. Hmmm... guess we could compromise on kahlua?

Fulton Quads said...

THAT is funny! But SO appropriate! ahahah! I hope he starts sleeping through the night soon! (=
love, Cathy & the quads

Anonymous said...

I know one thing. There is no chance that the vodka was re-gifted. Vodka goes in LW's house and never comes out.

Anonymous said...

Also ask LW "How did Hip Hop chip his tooth?"

Anonymous said...

That's right I remember you playing "Tobes, Tobes, Goose" in high school.

Anonymous said...

Meals and parent-specific gifts... both are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

My mother used to say that hunger is the best ingredient and this is another perfect example of how true that is.

Esther said...

Reminds me of last year, when my parents gave my husband a case of beer for his birthday. He declared it the best birthday present ever!
P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and for the nice compliment of my header! I love your blog!

Bogart said...

You can also slip the Vodka into the bottle...just saying it is cold and a little nip never hurt ANYBODY.

Unknown said...

Darn you. Now I have an insatiable urge to be 18, at the shore in NJ, eating lasagna, ordering pizza, and drinking beer!

You're right thow, timing is everything!

JP said...

Ah booze, is there nothing you cannot solve...

Anonymous said...

When I had my youngest, my neighbor, who owned a restaurant, brought me a basket that contained easy food to make about three meals, including snacks for my two year old. BEST PRESENT EVER. Along with the three bottles of wine she added to the mix.

Anonymous said...

After #1 was born we received the "best lasagna I've ever tasted" from a friend, I'll never forget it. Most likely it could have been sleep deprivation and lack of food that made that lasagna so good. When a friend of ours had their first baby, I made them a brisket to last about 3 meals and they absolutely raved... I think food is the best present!