Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hero

Maxfield is at the age where he is discovering superheroes. As a recovering comic book addict/geek I could not be happier. If there were a topic, that I know a ton of information about, which I can pass down to my kids, it would be superheroes. I can’t wait to show him my wedding video and pictures.

Before his discovery of Spiderman, Superman and the Justice League, when I got home from work, he and I and Wyatt would wrestle, or play trains, or wrestle, or play trains, or wrestle. Now, when I come home Max’s first choice is to play Superheroes.

Max will tell me who he is, such as the Hulk or Spiderman and then I would have to tell him who I was going to be. Sometimes I am tired and I try to convince him that I am Nap-Man, or the Couch-inator, or Captain Lay on the Floor. He doesn’t fall for it and he assigns me my character.

Most times I am the bad guy like Doc Oc or the Joker. In my head, I am upset, because for my entire life I always wanted to be the superhero, but I play along and I let him tie me up with imaginary ropes as he throws laser beams at me.

Last night, Max decided that there would be a “pretend” villain and that he and I would be the heroes. He elected to be Robin and I could be “the guy that helps Robin”. As we played Wyatt Blue came into the room crying that Lauren refused him a snack before dinner. Max, in full superhero mode, ran up to Wyatt and asked if he was okay and told him not to worry because we were superheroes. Wyatt cried a bit more.

Max turned to me, and this is a moment that I hope I will not forget, and said, “What should we do, Batman?”

And for the next 20 minutes I WAS Batman.

33 comments:

Ariel said...

That's awesome! Kids are wonderful!

Jan said...

Wow, Batman, how cool is that. Great story.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! If you wait for long enough it will surely come.
Cheers

eclectic said...

Holy Cow, Batman!

So... did you save Wyatt from the evil snack-denying mom-ster? ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow, so Captain Lay didn't last too long did he?

Sassy said...

Batman, huh? Do you have any pics? Were you wearing the tights and the cape? Come on, show us....

Anonymous said...

I wanted to ask Lauren how the Batcuffs worked later that night?

Undercover Mutha said...

Aw, man. Anon beat me to it. I was wondering if you tied Lauren up before or after the kids went to bed.

Anonymous said...

HOLY HUNGRY TODDLERS, BATMAN!!!

Janice {Run Far} said...

LOL-
that is so cute I love it

Sharpie said...

PRICELESS.

Anonymous said...

ZAP! POWIE! Holy life dream fulfillment! Good thinking and role playing, Batman!

Anonymous said...

First if anyone is Nap Man it has got to be me. And B you have always been batman to us

Chris H said...

WAit till they want you to be The Batmobile! Off ya go now.

Karen said...

you need one of these.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=8942169

there are other capes on www.etsy.com, too.

i just thought these were cute.

Lowa said...

Max sounds like such a sweet big brother!

Unknown said...

Tune in next week, same bat time, same bat channel...

There is a coworker who has "Batman" on his license plate, and today I saw another car that had IMBATMN on it's license plate.

Holy Coinky-dinks, Batman!

(that is such a completely sweet story... truly.)

Jody said...

Lucky you. Lately I'm Knight Uniqua. At least I'm not the Grabbin Goblin...

Amber said...

I thought you were the piano man.

SciFi Dad said...

My daughter knows who some of the basic superheroes are, but she has yet to pretend play with those characters.

Damn, am I envious of you right now.

Bogart said...

Claire and I both agree that Captain Lay on the Floor is our favorite!!

And there are some pictures or a video missing from your wedding post.

On one other subject, your response to my post today was priceless...seriously made us both laugh...thanks!

joanna said...

You have no idea who I am. I found your blog through a series of links. I love reading it! You're hilarious! Thanks for the lunchtime entertainment.(lafamiliatate.blogspot.com)

Anonymous said...

I am another person who found you by accident. Actually i was googling everywhere sometime in November looking for light-up sneakers for my 28 year old brother for Christmas...yep he is a geek. Anyways, I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! It is my life in so many ways with 3 kids. I have laughed and cried, you need to write a column for a local newspaper. People would love it!
Regards,
Shelly

Anonymous said...

And was Batgirl receptive later?

The Woman Undone said...

You are soooo a geek, but in this day and age, that's sooo IN!!! How cool, now you have to go buy your kids superhero underoos & pajamas!!!

Suzy-Q said...

So, did Wyatt get a Bat-snack from the Naughty Mommy?

Cathy said...

Awesome.

Judypatooote said...

Wm you are such a good daddy, your kids can't help but have wonderful memories...and you know thats really important to me.....someday when they get in their 30's and 40's they might have a blog and record all their memories...I find out things from my girls that really touch my heart....things that I didn't even remember...so all I can say is GREAT JOB....judy

Anonymous said...

POW! WAM!

OhTheJoys said...

You will always be his hero...just as your dad was yours.

Best,
J

Anonymous said...

Seamus could be Nap Boy, but never Nap Man.

He's right though. You're our Batman, brother William.

El Grande said...

Holy snack shenanigans!
That is a great story, in his heart Maxfield knew what you needed - to be called Batman!

t-bird said...

Growing up without knowing what it is to live with boys, it's good to know that the toddler/daddy wrestling thing happens in other houses. On one level it's cute and a very transparent bonding activity. One another level, I just have to leave the room because 'Oh my God it's enough already!'.