Thursday, November 17, 2011

Best Lunch

When I was in elementary school I always brought a packed lunch from home.  Being in a big family we rarely purchased our lunches at school.  Most times our lunches were put together assembly line style and was a mix of various plastic bags filled with sandwiches, fruit and or vegetables, pretzel bits or other snack like pieces. We never had the prepackaged snack packs or name brand munchies in our bags. The one thing that was usually in the lunch bag that made our lunch better than any one elses was a note from my mom. That note always made our lunch the best.

In my household Lauren and I take turns making our kid's lunch. When it is my turn I always try to remember to include a note. My notes are often different. I will write a joke or words of encouragement for whatever they have scheduled for the day. I never tell the kids that I am leaving a note. I just slide it into their their book bag or lunch bag and hope that they read it. Wyatt really enjoys the notes and often times he will bring them up during our dinner time conversations. Last week I was speaking with his kindergarten teacher, she told me one of the first things Wyatt does when he gets into class is look for a note. If there is one he immediately brings it to her to read.

Every morning before I leave for work I throw my back pack, filled with work-out clothes, lunch, and paperwork over my shoulder and kiss everyone good bye. This morning as I was kissing Wyatt he whispered in my ear.

"Dad, do not look in your bag until you get to work."

I smiled. "Okay. I won't."



I had one of the best lunches today.

12 comments:

teri said...

that is so sweet. on both parts.

cat said...

My heart just exploded a little. You know, due to The Extreme Cuteness? Also, aaaaw!

Melissa said...

i know i shouldn't have favorites...but seriously, he always has been...i love that boy...and today...well, i love him more than i thought possible.

it's like he left ME that note!

(and how freakin' creepy is it that a total stranger says that!)

you have lots to be thankful for this year...

Michelle said...

I wrote a note on my daughter's first day of first grade last year & she asked me on the 2nd day if I wrote her a note. I've done it ever since. Just this morning, however, I asked her to get her lunch together for me while I brushed my younger daughter's hair. When I went in to the kitchen to make sure the lunch was all together, Alli had written herself a note! It was AWESOME! I felt bad that I didn't get to write the note but I loved that she made her lunch, just like I would have. It made me know how important those notes are!

Meegs said...

Aww, that is the sweetest thing. Love it.

Melinda said...

Now that's what I'm talking about! Your boys bring me joy, too. (I love this story and thank you for my FB note! 4 1/2 to go...)

eclectic said...

That is just lovely. And he drew a good likeness of you, too. ;)

James (SeattleDad) said...

I Love it when stuff like that happens. Always sustains me for days.

Michelle said...

lovely! my kids asked me to stop sending in notes when they turned 7 and it made me very sad. My mom sent them in until I was, well, slightly older than it was cool to be getting them.

Anonymous said...

How Cute! Are they angel wings in that picture? For that WYATT surely is an angel.What a great story. My eyes filled up with happy tears for you. Happy Thanksgiving! You will be missed!

Anonymous said...

I love notes in lunch bags

Heather said...

Hey there - I found your blog a long time ago by accident, and read your story about your road trip to Canada - hilarious! I had bookmarked you, then kind of forgot about it. Today I just found you again, and was hooked after reading the story about your Dad. That's good stuff. When I got to this entry I felt compelled to share my friends website. She makes notes to put in lunch boxes, and they are awesome (and cheap!) Thought you might enjoy them!
www.lunchhugs.com
Keep up the great writing!!